• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RAM mount / iPhone question

ronslater

Hi All

Can anyone offer any help on this... I have a 1200RT and I use a Ram Mount with the 4 rubber fingers that hold the phone in place (yes I have the tether also). I have an iPhone with a case around it and when I put the phone in the Ram mount, the fingers push in on the volume and buttons and the button on the right side that unlocks the phone. Is there a case that you know of that has the buttons on both sides of the case indented so the fingers ride over the buttons and don't constantly push on the buttons? A link would help if you have it

Thanks in advance
Ron

I experienced the same and solved the problem by simply using a razor blade to notch out the rubber where it contacts the buttons. Works great... no issues.

Welcome to the forum, Ron! Ram mounts seem to be popular...hopefully others will be along with additional ideas.

You mean the rubber ends of the fingers right?

Correct... place the phone in the mount as you want it to be. Take note of where the rubber "fingers" contact the buttons and notch them out just enough to clear the buttons but still grasp the phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0874 (002).jpg
    IMG_0874 (002).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 138
I've always adjusted the phone position in the mount to avoid the fingers clamping on the buttons... With my Samsung Galaxy phones, that means the top fingers of the X-Grip ride just below the curves at the top of the phone, and the bottom fingers are clear of the buttons. Had a low-speed high-side on an SV650 and the phone stayed firmly in the X-Grip without the tether. (40ish MPH, bike did a 180 like a bullet leaving the barrel, and landed upside down. I tumbled a bit and scuffed up my gear some, sliding the face shield sideways across the pavement.)

Get a Tackform mount. Same ball concept as RAM, but smaller sized and all metal ball mount, all metal CNC metal materials. They do have adapters to utilize the larger RAM ball. The spring loaded phone mount holds a phone better and no rubber feet to fall off. I've had my phone in the Tackform mount on a selfie stick and swung it around like a golf club and it won't come off, very well made, engineered and designed in Chicago area, great small company to do business with.

www.tackform.com

IMG_6885.jpg

I have this. They are made for each specific phone and protective case. My Iphone 11 with a Tech21 cover snaps right in and fits perfectly
IMG_1002.JPG

Last edited:
Back