• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rough route to Great Falls

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I'll start by stating that this route will take us to some of Barley's favorite far away places with the goal of leaving some of his ashes in those places he enjoyed. That remarkable dog was at my side for 55,000 miles of sidecar adventures covering 36 states and 6 Canadian Provinces. So while I typically make interesting side trips, this route is firm.

I'll leave out the crossing of the Midwest and Plains. Though I enjoy the transit and the warm greetings we get along the way, it's a straightforward dash to the Rockies and back. So the adventure starts in the Front Range along the Peak to Peak Highway south to Idaho Springs CO, picking up US40 and meandering west to Vernal UT. I figured Glenlivet would appreciate the opportunity to see some really large bones in the dinosaur museum. Then up along Flaming Gorge Reservoir, northwest to the Sawhills in Idaho, then following the Salmon River to Lolo. We'll do an out and back to Kooskia to take in the Lolo Pass where Barley once played in the Lochsa River, then head up to Kalispell MT. We'll skirt the southern edge of Glacier saving Going to the Sun for a less crowded time, then drop to the rally site early enough to get in some volunteer setup duties.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 7.25.10 AM.png

Leaving the rally we'll spend a night in Red Lodge MT before playing on Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Byway, and the incredible US14, ALT14, and US16 in the Bighorns. East to Devils Tower WY, then on to the Black Hills in SD with a side trip to Badlands. We'll spend a couple days there, getting started early to beat the crush of tourism. From there rural highways to Laramie, over one scenic pass to Encampment, down to Walden CO and east along Cache de Poudre Canyon, then starting the long transit back home.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 7.34.31 AM.png

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new in Great Falls!

Pete and Glenlivet

Helper.jpg

I look forward to seeing you and Glenlivett at the Rally. I’m envious of your trip, it looks like a lot of fun.

Some of you may remember Barley from the Johnson City, St Paul, Sedalia, Billings and Salem rallies. He passed from lymphoma shortly after the Billings rally, having said goodbye to his BMW family.

He was a bit more dignified than Glenlivet.

Dignity.jpg

But dignity was thrown to the wind if there was a rodent to dig up

Digger.jpgDigger.jpg

Man with a Plan! And a great story that will involve a rather emotional and significant journey.

You've also mentioned something that captured my thought, and then the Safety Yellow color hack (close enough)... caught my eye.

Your kit and crew... would sure be a nice fit as you Volunteer with the Rally Safety Committee.
Crawl around slowly with that rig, find a good spot to engage others for awhile. Repeat. Somewhat like a goodwill ambassador!

Some afternoon shifts available as short as 3+30hr. of your rally time.
SignUpGenius for Volunteers has the details on the bmwmoa.org Rally selection, as you are aware.

Your team may be the perfect fit for our team... no silly white golf cart required!

Have a safe trip and a fantastic rally Pete... see you there.

John Lang
Safety Chairman
2021 BMWMOA National Rally
Great Falls, Montana

I haven’t taken the opportunity to say thank you John for stepping up to cover Eric on the safety committee. So... thank you for that. I look forward to seeing you as well sir. If you have any questions, or I can help in anyway, don't hesitate to reach out.

(334) 470-7770 if for some odd reason you don’t have my cell number.

Man with a Plan! And a great story that will involve a rather emotional and significant journey.

You've also mentioned something that captured my thought, and then the Safety Yellow color hack (close enough)... caught my eye.

Your kit and crew... would sure be a nice fit as you Volunteer with the Rally Safety Committee.
Crawl around slowly with that rig, find a good spot to engage others for awhile. Repeat. Somewhat like a goodwill ambassador!

Some afternoon shifts available as short as 3+30hr. of your rally time.
SignUpGenius for Volunteers has the details on the bmwmoa.org Rally selection, as you are aware.

Your team may be the perfect fit for our team... no silly white golf cart required!

Have a safe trip and a fantastic rally Pete... see you there.

John Lang
Safety Chairman
2021 BMWMOA National Rally
Great Falls, Montana

That sounds like fun! We've volunteered at previous rallies in various positions, but are still looking for a home. I signed up for a Thursday morning Public Safety shift. Could also do early Saturday afternoon but would have to start a little later as we are presenting a seminar and would need to stow our gear afterwards before reporting for duty.

Pete

Fantastic!

That sounds like fun! We've volunteered at previous rallies in various positions, but are still looking for a home. I signed up for a Thursday morning Public Safety shift. Could also do early Saturday afternoon but would have to start a little later as we are presenting a seminar and would need to stow our gear afterwards before reporting for duty.

Pete

Like many of our club members, I expect you receive a lot of requests for participation.
I am delighted you have decided to join us! Even IF it's only Thursday. Thank You

This will be neat... now, what size hat for Glenlivet?

John

I haven’t taken the opportunity to say thank you John for stepping up to cover Eric on the safety committee. So... thank you for that. I look forward to seeing you as well sir. If you have any questions, or I can help in anyway, don't hesitate to reach out.

(334) 470-7770 if for some odd reason you don’t have my cell number.

Much appreciated Reece.
Yeah, Eric only promised me this one year of holding the torch. Though no warnings on burn avoidance!
So... I'll be in touch and see you there!

John

Back