Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Iron Butt’ers here?

On my ST1300 I did a BBG 1500 inside a 50CC Quest from Jax Beach to San Diego in 2014. 1510 miles to Van Horn in 22.3 hours , slept 5 hours, then 856 miles to the Pacific in 42.5 hours total. I've made it point to do at least one documented IBA ride on every bike since 2006. My list includes the ST1300 (SS1000, BBG, 50CC), NC700X (SS1000, BB1500, SS1000), Triumph Tiger 800 (SS1000), Goldwing (SS1000) , R1200RT (SS1000).
    Dave

GL1800
    R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Chadwick, interesting strategy...sleeping the day before and starting in the evening. Do you have an inclination to do anymore distance riding? If so, would change anything in your approach to another ride?
    I feel like the strategy worked out very well. It was the strong winner for me and it put me back on a great sleep pattern so I could enjoy the keys with my wife who flew in.

The big change that I’d consider is maybe do a destination other than Key West as the last 120-ish miles from the mainland to Key West is a two lane road stacked with vehicles going under the already very low speed limit. There is barely any opportunity to pass and speeding is almost certainly going to get you pulled over. So you’re stuck averaging about 45mph for nearly 3 grueling hours at the end of a very long ride.

The other potential change you could make, depending on the goal of your ride, is consider doing a loop instead of a straight line, so you’re ending your ride at or near home, compared to having to ride 1500+ miles home. For me, on this trip, it was as much about the destination as it was the parameters of the BB1500 Gold. I had a lot of fun with my ride home, taking mostly non interstate roads and seeing a lot of the Florida coast and partying in a lot of different cities.

Also, maybe don’t plan a 600 mile day after partying in New Orleans until 5:30am 🤣
    It made yesterday a long painful day.
    2019 R 1250 RT

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    On my ST1300 I did a BBG 1500 inside a 50CC Quest from Jax Beach to San Diego in 2014. 1510 miles to Van Horn in 22.3 hours , slept 5 hours, then 856 miles to the Pacific in 42.5 hours total. I've made it point to do at least one documented IBA ride on every bike since 2006. My list includes the ST1300 (SS1000, BBG, 50CC), NC700X (SS1000, BB1500, SS1000), Triumph Tiger 800 (SS1000), Goldwing (SS1000) , R1200RT (SS1000).

❤️
    2019 R 1250 RT

Quote Originally Posted by boogerman View Post
    Congrats on the ride. I have a few SS1000’s under my belt. Hey what’s with the IPAD ? To me that would pull your attention away from the road.
    I’d say each rider needs to assess their skills and decide what they’re comfortable with. I know for me there are some days that I’m off point in some ways and the iPad wouldn’t be a good idea, but usually I’m sharp, comfortable, and my bike feels almost like an intuitive extension of myself and the iPad is just fine. This was my first trip to have it mounted on my bike and it turned out to be a priceless source of data for me. I originally mounted it with the thought that I would be able to watch movies on my long overnight down Interstate 10, but the truth is I didn’t use it for that at all. Primarily I used it to run the Waze app, which was critically effective at warning me about cops running radar, debris in the road, stalled vehicles, collisions, etc. I directly attribute it to saving me from at least three otherwise certain tickets and many other potential tickets. It turns out that Florida is extremely cop heavy.

Additionally, it gave me the ability to try out different route adjustments on a separate screen from my phone, which was my primary navigation tool. This turned out to be very valuable several times to be able to make informed decisions about routing ideas mostly on my ride home which was a largely unplanned ride.

It also gave me the ability to do ride related web searches such as finding ferry schedules, getting hotel suggestions when I figured out which cities I’d do overnights in, getting restaurant suggestions, finding gas stations ahead of my arrival, etc. The beauty about the large screen is that it has large ‘buttons’ and larger font than my phone. It was very easy to use with gloves and while riding, which my phone is not. I feel like it actually made my ride a lot safer having my iPad compared to not having it.

There were two significant drawbacks to having my iPad on the bike. The first and most obvious was that it obstructed my view of most of my dash. I couldn’t see my speedometer at all and it was a real effort to see my gas gauge and less importantly, my gear indicator. I could see my speed on my bike’s nav unit and my radar detector also displays my current speed, so I used those sources for that info. A couple of times my low fuel ding let me know I was on my last fuel bar unexpectedly, but usually I was watching my miles of progress closely enough to know about where my fuel stood AND I was carrying a gas bag with 2-1/2 extra gallons of fuel. Usually you song need your gear indicator, but occasionally you’re approaching a red light with clutch pulled in and clicking down your gears with a lot of things happening around you and the light turns green and maybe you’re not in the best gear. No biggie, fix it and jam on.

The other significant drawback is needing to do anything that requires you to walk away from your bike such as a bathroom break, buying anything, restaurant stops, etc. You HAVE to remove your devices. $1500 iPad, $650 radar detector, and $1100 phone sitting there as easy targets. The ride to the keys was non issue because my buddy and I would take turns watching both bikes. The ride home was solo and 5 random days intentionally through areas where I’ve not previously been. It’s not THAT hard to take everything off and put it back on, but it’s just another layer of complexity at some stops.

I can’t speak for any rider besides myself, but I never felt like I was giving the road less than 100% of the attention that it needed. When there was a lot happening on the road in front of me, I’d simply not use the ipad the same way I wouldn’t make adjustments to the radio, seat heat, navigation, and all the other cool things we have on our bikes. I don’t see myself doing any long distance rides again without my iPad. It was an incredibly valuable tool for the ride.
    2019 R 1250 RT

Quote Originally Posted by boogerman View Post
    Congrats on the ride. I have a few SS1000’s under my belt. Hey what’s with the IPAD ? To me that would pull your attention away from the road.
    Oh, also I used it to play a little chess. Again, this was done as I had available attention and with occasional glances at the screen. Obviously no timed games and not when the roads are busier or otherwise complicated, but it was nice for giving my mind things to ponder and even provided some conversational content between my riding buddy and me.
    2019 R 1250 RT

I've completed one certified ride just for the paperwork, a couple years ago. Rode from Stanley Idaho to Barrington Kansas for 1300 miles in 28 hours. Completed the first 1000 in 22 hours and then continued on for another 300 to get to a buddies house to rest. Didn't have anything left in me by that time. Dont think I'll be doing that anymore.