• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chuck Manley Passed

Sad news. I looked forward to seeing him every year. If I knew nothing else about him, the fact that all three of my dogs wagged at the mere sight of him told me all I needed to know about his heart.

Pete

Chuck was a good man who left us much too soon. :(

I am pleased to have known him. I will miss him and his many humorous tales while spending time with him at the Rallies.

Bloomsburg MOA Rally 2011 294.jpg

I knew Chuck mostly from the Rally scene, when he was present a quality event was underway. He carried that persona.
His monthly MOA ON comments while President, were also a reflection of a true gentleman.
RIP Chuck.

DITTO to all of the comments. I looked forward every rally to share around a campfire with him. I am sad to lose him.

Bernie

Chuck was one of my earliest mentors at the BMW MOA... we spent many hours together working on the Rally Site Search Team. He has done immeasurable good for our club. He was named a Friend of the Marque the same day I was.

It's getting to the time in life when many friends are being lost.... four people -- mentors, all -- in the photo below (Lima, 2005) are no longer with us. :cry

Ian

DSCN2785%20copy-X2.jpg

Chuck was one of my earliest mentors at the BMW MOA... we spent many hours together working on the Rally Site Search Team. He has done immeasurable good for our club. He was named a Friend of the Marque the same day I was.

It's getting to the time in life when many friends are being lost.... four people -- mentors, all -- in the photo below (Lima, 2005) are no longer with us. :cry

Ian

DSCN2785%20copy-X2.jpg

Also, who remembers Hawk?

Also, who remembers Hawk?

Another greatly valued mentor.... he went out of his way to listen and consider what people had to say. He genuinely cared. I really miss that guy. Some of what we did together was in my professional capacity wrt the MOA's intellectual property. He took some important actions as President to protect the members' interests.

Also in the pic are Karol Patzer and Michael Friedle, a couple of other pillars of the club.

I thought I recognized Karol Patzer. Her head was turned. Yes, she was another pillar of the MOA that is missed.

Paul and I met Chuck and the woman he adored, Julie, back in the 80’s at one of the midwest rallies - Shakamak, or the Kansas Rally, or the Dinky Dozen Campout or maybe Falling Leaf.
The lasting memory I have is of a tight knit group of BMW riders, the Dinks, who treasured the riding family they’d built. The difference between them and so many other rider groups was that they made everyone feel included in the fun. They rode hard. They partied hard. And they loved widely.

We’re all richer for having known him.

Voni
sMiling

Ian

DSCN2785%20copy-X2.jpg

That photograph is chilling. Four of eight gone. And unless I am misinformed, all four from cancer.

That photograph is chilling. Four of eight gone. And unless I am misinformed, all four from cancer.

Michael had something going on with fluid pressuring his brain... he was in a lot of pain. I last saw him at the BMW RA rally in Woodstock, VA and we had a good long talk.... but I spoke with him on the phone regularly. We’ve been friends ever since the Morganton, NC rally in 1996. He was an innovator and a real Yankee! :nod

Hawk is a reminder to us all that we need to wear wide-brim hats when spending time in the sun.

They rode hard. They partied hard. And they loved widely.

We’re all richer for having known him.

Can you say Tuaca? I knew you could. :ha :1drink

These are the people (including you and Paul) who formed my first impressions of the MOA when I joined 30 or so years ago.

Hawk is a reminder to us all that we need to wear wide-brim hats when spending time in the sun.

https://www.tilley.com/

And familiarize yourself with what melanoma and other forms of skin cancer look like. The most common form of cancer is skin cancer.

I just got home an hour ago from visiting with my dermatologist. He removed a basal cell carcinoma from my left arm. I told him I got way too much sun in my younger days as a caddy in jr. high and high school, and working as a construction engineer on road and bridge construction, and so on. He told me the basal cell on my arm was small. I told him I have gotten very good at spotting them; this is no. 10. I spot them early and get them taken care of.

I lost a good friend to melanoma. My younger brother had melanoma but it was caught early and easily cured. Catch it early and it is curable. If you don't, it will lead to needless tragedy.

Harry

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cl0jrBIGxh8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
There will be a Celebration of Life for Chuck Manley on June 5th from 2-4PM held at the
Leroy Sportsman Club
7819 N 2850 E
LeRoy, IL 61752
This is an open Celebration
For those not attending in person, anyone is welcome to send their thoughts to be read in a short program
from 2:30 - 3 pm that day.

Back