• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding one piece suit

Thinking about buying a one piece riding suit. Interested to hear about the different options and thoughts. What is the best and why? I know I will pay $ 1000 plus so I am looking at top end suits.. thoughts?

Not sure this is really an Airhead question. But you might first look at the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. There are a couple of threads in Gear on that. You might also go to the Gear forum and use the Search Forum link at the top right of the page to see what comes up within Gear. There is an Index of Reviews in the Gear forum...not a lot of suits reviewed but there are a few:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?87182-Index-to-Product-and-Gear-Reviews

That said, I never really saw the benefit...or enough of a one...for a one-piece suite. My sights were set on something from Aerostich and I actually drove to the store in Duluth...I was already in Minnesota, so just did the day trip. I've heard people rave about the Roadcrafter one-piece. But seems to me putting on something like that will be difficult and when at a gas stop or meal stop, you can't just take off the top to make moving around easier...don't want to even touch the bathroom issues. I ended up getting a Darien two-piece jacket and pants. Putting it on is simple and there's flexibility to take it off if necessary. I don't think there is that much of an issue with getting wet...there is so much of an overlap between the jacket and pants that rain is not going to work its way up and inside. So, I just don't see enough benefits of a one-piece to head that direction.

I don't think there is that much of an issue with getting wet...there is so much of an overlap between the jacket and pants that rain is not going to work its way up and inside. So, I just don't see enough benefits of a one-piece to head that direction.

People have more problems getting wet in the one-piece than the two piece. The issue is that with the one piece when seated on the bike there is generally a large fold just below the waist. Water collects here in a puddle and seeps through crotch zipper. With the two-piece Roadcrafter or Darien suits the fold doesn't happen and the jacket hangs down over the area. I have been riding with two-piece Aerostich suits since 1996 or 1997. I use the zip-on bib top with Roadcrafter pants and have both a Roadcrafter jacket and a Darien jacket.

Thanks to all. I think I will go with the 2 piece. I have a Aerostitch Darian jacket and pants from the mid 90s. Will probably use them and buy the armor again to insert. I removed them years ago and can't find.
Jim

First time

The first time you have to quick step in a road side rest room you will then switch to a two piece suit. LOL, St.

The first time you have to quick step in a road side rest room you will then switch to a two piece suit. LOL, St.

+1 - Any virtues of a one piece suit are quickly forgotten in the restroom situation (or any other time when speed in getting it on or off is a factor). And if you want an even worse exercise in contortion, try putting on (or taking off) a one piece rain suit over your regular gear. You will soon get the idea.

I bought the Aerostitch R-3 suits for myself and my girlfriend a couple years ago. I find the suit to be wonderfully comfortable while riding, and have no troubles myself such as those listed above. However, I really wish I'd gotten the 2 piece for my girlfriend, for the reasons listed above.

I have always had two piece Aerostichs. I always watch in amazement as my, much younger, riding buddy peals out of his one piece. He's a lot bendier than me.

Jump suits

I remember a girl friend of mine used to wear the in style jump suits until one time we were on a road trip and she had to make a pit stop. I won't repeat what she said when she got back into the car but she never wore a jump suit again. Hey, for us guys a one piece suit is not big problem most of the time. when it is however, it is.

I like the two piece Aerostich set up because when I go into a restaurant on a ride, I just leave the pants on and take off the jacket. I don't have to tie the top half up around my waist or take the suit off completely . I carry a long bicycle cable lock and thread it through the arm of the jacket and face of my helmet then lock it to the bike or, if I don't have any luggage, lock the jacket in the saddle bag and use the cable to secure the helmet. I used to use the helmet D ring to attach to the little helmet gizmo on my airheads but I now use a Neotec II and they have a seat belt style hemet fastener.

As for rain protection, the two piece suit works just as well due to the over lap of the jacket over the pants. Aerostich does make it possible to zip the top and bottom parts together at the waist to make it one piece. I have never tried this function. The only thing I could see using it for would be to keep the back of the jacket riding up on my back if I ever had to slide on the pavement. Both of my accidents saw me flying rather than sliding. St.

The "onesie” is reasonably easy to modify-

EP3luXiXkAIKMcJ.jpg

For reasons stated above :blush

Who wants to drag a “onesie” around on a restroom floor?

OM

The "onesie” is reasonably easy to modify-

EP3luXiXkAIKMcJ.jpg

For reasons stated above :blush

Who wants to drag a “onesie” around on a restroom floor? OM

With reference to the above statement, I couldn't believe one pit stop where my riding buddy used a stall with his helmet on the floor by his boots! 😕

(I use a bicycle cable to lock my helmet to the bike.)

First time

Always envision this when I see a red ‘Stich

Looks like my first snowmobile suit. LOL

As for the flap in the back, send a picture to Aerostich, maybe they will make a modification to their line up of one piece suits, LOL. St.

Well, this reads a bit like an oil thread to me… everyone has an opinion and sometimes we forget that we are all individual with our own idiosyncracies.

I bite and here are my two thumbs up for the onesie from Minnesota. My background, I am an Airhead through and through and own at least one of these beasts for more than 20 years. My preferred way to travel is un-faired and un-farkled. I like to be in the wind and the first thing I got rid off on my first Airhead was the big Luftmeister.

So, if you are on an RS, RT or any other large after market Airhead fairing such as a Luftmeister of Vetter your soft parts will be less affected than on a naked Airhead, such as my R60/6 or my G/S. Most modern motorcycles do offer some sort wind protection and since you posted it in the Airhead I would take this into consideration.

Over the last three months I travelled about 6,000 miles in my Roadcrafter one piece Onesie from Aerostich on my 1981 G/S and it did not disappoint. I went as far east as Alabama and I rode as far West as I could (see pic of me arriving at Santa Monica Beach, CA). All my gear up until this past spring a year ago were 2-piece riding suits. I have mainly leather (Hein Gericke Paris Dakar 2-piece leather) for those who remember the eighties, various other leathers, and textile mesh BMW two piece for the hot Texas Summers. My wife is from Minnesota and we vacation often on the North Shore of Lake Superior. So full discloser here I am biased from the products out of Duluth by Andy Goldfine.

I rode through several severe rain storms and to my surprise I remain dry in the “One piece Stich”. The only “wet areas” I detected were inside the front pocket along the seams where my gas-receipts were not wet but humid. I analyzed it as the seams. Otherwise completely dry. I must say that I am a fan of the “One piece Stich” because its so simple, lighter and does not “bulge in the middle” no adjusting after your throw a leg over your machine, no tank scratching from the jacket which I experienced in all my ¾ Jackets. BMW Belstaff names come to mind…

I realize I am in the minority in this thread, but I truly hope you get the gear you’ll be most comfortable with – which is in the end, only you who can decide.

As per true Airhead Canon – Airhead’s don’t take themselves, religion or life too serious

Cheers!
000_upe_santa_monica_stich_screen.jpg

Last edited:
Back