• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How about some follow up!

stevenrankin

Hey some of you guys who post asking questions, wanting sources for parts/repairs, and advice on how to solve problems you are having with your bikes when you get your bike running or the problem solved how about letting those of us who took the time to answer your pleas know how things turned out?

I started this thread with It is Sunday and raining, thank you all who responded but it got off topic and became a nice post about rain stories and such. Sorry but it irks me enough to bring it up but I can see several posts with dead ends, no follow up or solution.

Who knows, maybe the original poster found they had done something foolish and became embarrassed to reply? Sorry fellows if that is what you think I got news for you, I have asked some pretty embarrassing questions in my early days as a BMW rider and I have done some pretty embarrassing things. Unless you super glued your mother in law to your bike, there is not much that is so embarrassing some kind of follow up can't be posted.

I mentioned my boss in the parts store taking a half hour to find the part for some guy on the phone only to never see the guy come in and buy it. Well, it is sort of the same thing you are doing here in the forums.

I am not going to stop answering people's questions or offering to help on the forum, I enjoy taking the time. However, I am old enough and cranky enough to tell you off, there is no reason for you not following up unless you dropped dead.

As for the good people who take time to reply to posts, forgive me my rant if you do not feel the same way as I do. It is now Tuesday and still raining an I get grumpy and ache when it rains. St.

It is a better read, when there is an ending. I do like reading about all the knowledge and experience that's out there.

Encourage an ending and thanking the poster for posting an ending really helps.
- “Let us know how you make out”.
- “Thanks for finishing up the thread, it helps everyone”.
OM

You are right! I ask a lot of questions and my final outcome is a ways off.
I was a BMW rider for many years and a member before the internet. There is so much information out there and on this forum that sometime I find the answer to me question after I post a new thread. I even wonder how I found a place before the internet and maps.com. I guess I just used a map in my tank bag.

I want to add that I'm likely one of the guilty parties

I appreciate each and every response I get to my frequent questions
and also the time it took for individuals to respond

my bike continues to be in about 100 different boxes.
and hopefully someday I will put it back together and get to ask more questions... as I learn

brant

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is looking like a nice day no more rain, I am less grumpy.

I know the feeling of having bikes in boxes, my latest winter project is on hold due to a slow painter. My hurry is not his worry. To be fair, he is supposed to be good and he so far has been reasonable priced. Thank goodness I have another bike to ride, just that right now health issues are screwing that up. So my grump level is high. St.

So the big thing to me about having some follow up is that maybe the next guy is having the exact same issue and maybe can pick up some hints on what is causing his problems too. You know, the original poster comes back on and says, hey Joe, your advice to look at the coil was dead on, that was my issue. We can all learn from that kind of follow-up.

So I'm in full agreement, please follow up to threads you are asking questions in. The guys who has his one and only post asking a question, gets a bunch of responses, and never answers again are really peevy to me.

And I'm not even grumpy. :)

Last edited:
I know the feeling of having bikes in boxes, my latest winter project is on hold due to a slow painter. My hurry is not his worry.
St.

The last (and only ) time I had a bike repainted I was getting impatient waiting for the painted parts to be finished. I was grumbling to my friend, the late Dick Wildaur who just smiled and reminded me, "Painters think in geologic time."

That was 35 or so years ago and I remember that quote like he said it yesterday.

Original post

Oh there was no original post by me on my bike being painted in the MOA airhead forum, sorry, I was just responding to one of the people in this post about his bike being in boxes. I know the feeling.

Paul, I have to remember the old adage you can have two out of three, good, fast cheap, but not all three or something like that. I can't say I am getting cheap and I am hoping to get good, I never expected fast, lol. Moot point anyway as I can ride even if the bike was back together. thank goodness for my convertible, lol.

I will try to put some pictures in the post if the job turns out fairly good. Not looking for a show bike just a good rider job. It is surprising how hard it is to find a person to paint a bike when the time comes to actually have it painted. That is a topic for another post.

Cheers, the sun is out. St.

Referencing Pauls 35 year wait for paint work

Sorry for the confusion, it is the usual result of my attempts at light hearted humor.

Captive

Yep, we are sadly sometimes captive to service providers. Motorcycle painters especially. While I can't swing a cat and not miss a car painter, bike painters are like hen's teeth. Oh, I shouldn't say that as there are established painters such as Holt. I have nothing personal against Holt but to be honest, I really don't want to pay more than the bike is worth for a paint job. If I were doing a ten ten restoration for show, I would certainly hire Holt.

Sadly, a lot of guys my local shop has dealt with regarding paint are car guys who do a bike, do a good job and tell us, "its the last bike I will ever paint". They don't like the amount of work involved. The guy I am working with now is a bike painter but, he has never done a BMW only Harleys. While he is not bargain basement, he is not stratosphere for price. I do admit he was a bit apprehensive at the number of parts he would be dealing with. It will be interesting to see if he is willing to do another BMW after mine.

So with great anticipation, I await my finished job. I sure hope it doesn't take more than a year. St.

As a follow up

I have used Holt in the past and was very happy with the results and good with the time frame. I do use him for the paint, a little pricey but what you get is his decades of experience, his wealth of knowledge and the many many hours and gallons of used product in order to provide perfect paint matches. I do my own painting now thanks to the tips and customer support I have gotten from Kent over the 2 1/2 decades I have known him. Yes the bikes are Vintage but they are my follow up and my quote " if you want it done perfect hire an expert, if you want it done quickly and good learn to do it yourself".

Attachments

• 55 R50 2.JPG
    55 R50 2.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 106
  • break time 5.JPG
    break time 5.JPG
    582.8 KB · Views: 103
Rude

I looked back at a fellow's post, who wrote about problems on a bike that would not run despite being overhauled and a new ignition system installed. The post was two pages long, and after a "I will try that out". Nothing! So I am wondering, was his problem his installation of the system? Was his problem related to something else done by the previous owner, a defective part? What caused his problem?

If it is the product he used and it was defective, it is nice to have feedback because someday down the road, I may want to use the product and I sure would like to know if it works or not or, if there are major problems installing it. It is also nice to know if the vendor stands behind the product or not.

The point of a forum like this is to share information and help each other out not just take and not give back. Paying dues to the MOA and being allowed to use the forum as a membership benefit does not mean a one way street. Being a member of a club means two way communication and sharing of information or activity or, am I wrong?

Granted some posts just end due to natural lack of things to add, that is fine when dealing with some issues but not all.

Mind you, I am posting this rant and I will bet the people it is directed against are no longer reading the forum posts because they selfishly got what they wanted and won't post again until they need something else.

So, for you who follow the forum you can have a good laugh at my tilting at windmills. St.

patience-grasshopper-let-the-mailman-come-to-you

There is no rule that a thread has to be finished.....It is nice when it is. Encouraging a follow-up to a thread......leading by example.....thanking a poster for the follow-up/ending seems to me a better way to go than trying to make a poster feel bad.
OM

I looked back at a fellow's post, who wrote about problems on a bike that would not run despite being overhauled and a new ignition system installed. The post was two pages long, and after a "I will try that out". Nothing! So I am wondering, was his problem his installation of the system? Was his problem related to something else done by the previous owner, a defective part? What caused his problem?

If it is the product he used and it was defective, it is nice to have feedback because someday down the road, I may want to use the product and I sure would like to know if it works or not or, if there are major problems installing it. It is also nice to know if the vendor stands behind the product or not.

The point of a forum like this is to share information and help each other out not just take and not give back. Paying dues to the MOA and being allowed to use the forum as a membership benefit does not mean a one way street. Being a member of a club means two way communication and sharing of information or activity or, am I wrong?

Granted some posts just end due to natural lack of things to add, that is fine when dealing with some issues but not all.

Mind you, I am posting this rant and I will bet the people it is directed against are no longer reading the forum posts because they selfishly got what they wanted and won't post again until they need something else.

So, for you who follow the forum you can have a good laugh at my tilting at windmills. St.

For the most part

I agree, kindest is the best way to get best behavior. However, as a grumpy old man, I don't always follow the best advice.

I had a long running debate with my sister regarding family things. She was of the opinion the problem would solve itself by kindness, the gentle touch a good point, however, what solved the problem was direct message to those involved, not a mean message nor nasty but an honest one a kind one. "Hey, people would like to hear how you made out after we took the time to involve ourselves in your problems." By not following up, we who helped feel unappreciated, unloved, unimportant.

Sorry gang, the forum is NOT my family, so I will not give you all the same level of love and concern I do my family I will try to but I may fail to. I will try very hard not to be down right mean, hurtful or insulting when dealing with you all in my forum dealings.

Sometimes, like some family members a stern reminder is the only way to get an attitude correction.

Like in my family, I find it hard to understand why a short note can't be posted or texted. After all this is the age of instant communication. I got rid of my quill pen and parchment a long time ago.

It is raining and I am grumpy, oh, I think I said that in another post. Cheers, St.

Come to think of it

Come to think of it Kindness is the only way to approach things. I have said you in the forum are not my family and I do not give you the same consideration as I do family members. I light bulb went off in the dark portion of my brain and I see the light. I should be giving you in the forum the same consideration as I do my family. I am sorry for not doing so.

Love will always defeat bad behavior, hate, anger and a host of other problems. Forgive me for forgetting this fact. Cheers, St.

Back