• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1250 RT Spare Key Fob

zip50

Just bought a new-to-me R1250RT and it came with a single key fob for the keyless ignition. I love having a spare in my garage for when I do work on the bike and forget my key inside. Anyone figure out a non-BMW (lower cost) way to get a spare fob? I see them on ebay and elsewhere, but then I assume those fobs would need to be programmed and cut. Appreciate any options. Oh, and if you have a top case you don't need...I'm in the market.

If you order a new Fob it needs to be programed to your bike which you can do at home. It has been discussed here if you can program a used fob to a different bike, seems nobody knows. You can order a replacement metal key for a Fob, so the big question is if you can reprogram one. My bet you can, but I don't have any evidence that you can. I would imagine the Fob just sends out a signal and the electronics on the motorcycle get programed to recognizes that signal.

The bike only comes with one fob and a plastic key. The plastic key will start the bike (read the manual). A solution that worked for me was to tether the fob to my riding pants. No pants, no ride. Make the tether long enough to reach the topcase lock so you never have to unclip it except if you're leaving the bike with a dealer.

The bike only comes with one fob and a plastic key. The plastic key will start the bike (read the manual). A solution that worked for me was to tether the fob to my riding pants. No pants, no ride. Make the tether long enough to reach the topcase lock so you never have to unclip it except if you're leaving the bike with a dealer.

+1 on the plastic key.

works just like the fob for ignition on and start, etc

Many riders will hide the plastic key on the bike somewhere for that "Oh ****!" moment. Make sure you know how to use it.

My wife rides with me often. We gave in and paid the BMW tax for a second fob.

Described in great length in the owners manual.

On some models the correct placement of the plastic key as described in the manual is not clear.
I think it was the GS that people had trouble figuring out what the manual was showing.
On the RS the plastic key has to face the correct direction and that trips up some people.
It's best if you try it at home to make sure you know how to do it.

Back