• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley owners: Born or Made?

I think you nailed it. Excellent post.

I think the born or made question is actually quite simple. It becomes a peer group and peer pressure kind of thing. A person buys a bike and might or might not identify with a group of like minded riders. Recently I have read several posts from people saying I have had a BMW for several years and am finally joining the BMW MOA.

"Joiners" enter a peer group and many, over time, adopt the norms for that group. BMW riders most often adopt an ATGATT attitude. Other peer groups have different norms that joiners adopt. Helmet wear when required but take it off at the state line where not required is one such group norm. So are loud pipes. So are leather vests with patches and engineer boots.

Dedicated LD (long distance) rally riders for the most part have adopted norms similar to many BMW riders: not inexpensive textile riding gear, quality helmets, motorcycle riding boots, expensive GPSs, and other similar norms, regardless of the brand of bike they are riding.

Some riders are part of more than one peer group and conform differently depending on which group they are with at that moment.

In many respects it is no different than jocks and nerds in high school. People find and identify with an affinity group and for better or for worse adopt the norms of that group. Guys who are on both the football team and the debate squad are a rare breed.

In the end I am reminded of a letter to the editor of a cruiser style magazine. The letter was written by a BMW rider whose main point was that riders are riders and have many things in common. But he added, "You dress like pirates. We dress like armadillos."

Much truth in the human nature aspect of this analysis, most of us join a group and adopt their behaviors, but it does not address the reality of the consequences of the choices made. Adopting the behaviors of one peer group may mean adopting behaviors that mean greater risks. Riding without a helmet, wearing a t-shirt and jeans, using ape hangers and bar hopping are not just fitting-in choices, they are potentially life altering choices.

Much truth in the human nature aspect of this analysis, most of us join a group and adopt their behaviors, but it does not address the reality of the consequences of the choices made. Adopting the behaviors of one peer group may mean adopting behaviors that mean greater risks. Riding without a helmet, wearing a t-shirt and jeans, using ape hangers and bar hopping are not just fitting-in choices, they are potentially life altering choices.

I agree Kevin, but still, I do really believe that peer pressure and peer group conformity is the operating conundrum.

Nobody ever guaranteed that the peer group chosen had all the smart answers. But they did have norms to conform to.

I think it has more to do with the TYPE of bike one chooses to ride rather than the brand.
Think cruisers, sport bikes, adv bikes, dirt bikes and scooters, for example.
Each type of bike will fit in a given peer group and rider behavior will often follow.

Touring Harleys with stock exhaust fit in at most BMW rallies, and GS Giant events may soon include Pan American riders. BMW branded chaps may show up at dealers for R18 riders as well.

It’s all good. (Except loud exhausts on ANY bike!)

Back