• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley owners: Born or Made?

I have lived in Spearfish SD since retiring from the Navy in 1994.

For about 20 days each summer we are very close to the epicenter of Harleydom.

Crowds, noise, bedlam etc....

Approximately 500,000 motorcycles make the pilgrimage to Sturgis every year, some years more, some less.

It seems that about 80% of the motorcycles are Harley Davidson. Each year it appears to me that the percentage might slowly decrease as
old men die, Indian gains market share, a few enlightened souls buy other brands or types of bikes.

There are a fair number of ass holes at Sturgis, more open pipes or loud bikes than ass holes but plenty of both to go around.

I was a Honda/Yamaha dealer for six years, we were glad to put tires on Harleys.

In the heyday of the Japanese Cruiser (2000-2005) Of the 20% of the bikes that were/are not Harleys Honda and Yamaha had a little more than 50% of the market, I just wanted each one of the approximately 50,000 Honda and Yamaha riders to come to Outdoor Motorsports and make a $2 contribution to my retirement fund! Many did.

We sold a lot of Honda branded Spark Plugs to Harley riders - the bikes were often jetted excessively rich and became even more excessively rich when operated at the 3,500-7,000 foot elevations here in the Black Hills. My wife often relates the story of the grizzled old 1%er seeking new plugs for his poorly running ride, we had the appropriate heat range and sized sparkplug but she was reluctant to bring it to him at the counter as it was labeled "Honda Lawnmower Sparkplug".
The 1%er didn't care, he left happy and there was another $2 in the retirement fund.

Speaking of 1%er's - never had a problem with one in my store or later while working over in Sturgis during the Rally doing windshield installations.
In general, if you treated them fair they treated you the same. I am aware of one instance where there was an issue at a local repair shop, One of the clubs owned a motel in Spearfish and one of the "officers" of the club had some serious engine issues during the rally. His bike was towed to a local independent V-Twin repair shop and the tech tore down the engine and began the repair. Several days passed and the bike remained on a lift, engine apart awaiting parts. The Patch Member sent his/a pledge (wannabe) over to ascertain what the ststus of his bike was. The Pledge began making an issue with the tech causing mayhem, threatening the health and welfare etc.... The shop owner found a large cardboard box, gathered up all of the "Parts" set them outside the door, pushed the bike outside with the box and told "Jr" you go back and tell your sponsor that if he wants his bike fixed he needs to come and see me himself. After a little more bluster "Jr" departed and returned, much chagrined, about an hour later with his sponsor. The Sponsor apologized most profusely to the shop owner and put the pledge to work cleaning parts etc for the shopowner at no charge while his bike was being repaired. Karma baby, Karma!

Loud vehicles suck. No place in civilized society for their existence for any reason. They are illegal.

HD mc's can be fun to ride like all motorcycles.

Throwing the 1% adjective out there without acknowledging what it really means and its association with the Hells Angels even if said individual was civil to you on a given day is disrespectful to the victims of their criminal activities which include rape, murder, battery, thievery and extortion. Nothing remotely romantic or adventurous about talking about the weather and spark plugs with criminals. Sorry.

I hold no ill will for many HD riders. But I do have a few nit picks. I live exactly 30 miles north of the northwest gate of Big Band National Park. We get our share of tourists and among them HD riders in packs of 5 to 20 or so. When they are riding past I can often hear them coming, but can especially hear their pipes as they ride away 3 to 5 miles away. This is stupid. I have urged the Park Superintendent to set up noise meters at the gate but so far no success.

So the noise is my main complaint. It affects me many days of the year. But then I also have some serious questions about the culture:

- doo rags instead of helmets?
- assless chaps as protective gear - left over from 1946 cowboys?
- handelbar tassles?
- vests as protective gear?
- forward controls and the pap smear riding position?
- bean pot or Nazi style riding hats called helmets?
- loud pipes screaming "notice me, notice me"?
- ape hanger bars as the appropriate way to steer a motorcycle?
- clip-on earings for the faithful?

If I tried I could think of a few more odd things I see,but that would require more thought so I will narrow the inquiry: Who can explain the virtues of vests, assless chaps, tassles, ape hangers, and beany pot helmets.

Surely you must have known that this post was going to get a lot of comments. Topics such as these always do. Maybe that was the point.

Either way, you baited the hook so I’ll bite. As others here have commented, I see the issue here as people in general and not particularly H-D as a brand. I’ve met obnoxious, opinionated a-holes riding all manner of motorcycles and I’d say even more not even riding a motorcycle at all. Of course I’m referring to cagers.

So I do not share your disdain for H-D riders, nor do I think that owning a BMW makes me superior in any way. Truth is, I just simply enjoy riding Motorcycle’s, period, regardless of the brand.

That said, yes, we can all roll our eyes at the H-D guy with the stereo blasting at 1,000,000. decibels, dressed like the biker from the Village People who constantly revs his engine much to everyone’s displeasure. Then there’s the guy in the souped up Camaro behaving much in the same way....or the guy driving the slammed Fast N’ Furious Honda Civic with the annoying fart can exhaust making as much noise as possible. I could go on with more examples, but there’s no need. The point is A-holes come all shapes and sizes, regardless of what they ride or whether they ride at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely you must have known that this post was going to get a lot of comments. Topics such as these always do. Maybe that was the point.

Either way, you baited the hook so I’ll bite. As others here have commented, I see the issue here as people in general and not particularly H-D as a brand. I’ve met obnoxious, opinionated a-holes riding all manner of motorcycles and I’d say even more not even riding a motorcycle at all. Of course I’m referring to cagers.

So I do not share your disdain for H-D riders, nor do I think that owning a BMW makes me superior in any way. Truth is, I just simply enjoy riding Motorcycle’s, period, regardless of the brand.

That said, yes, we can all roll our eyes at the H-D guy with the stereo blasting at 1,000,000. decibels, dressed like the biker from the Village People who constantly revs his engine much to everyone’s displeasure. Then there’s the guy in the souped up Camaro behaving much in the same way....or the guy driving the slammed Fast N’ Furious Honda Civic with the annoying fart can exhaust making as much noise as possible. I could go on with more examples, but there’s no need. The point is A-holes come all shapes and sizes, regardless of what they ride or whether they ride at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even an attempt at an answer.

I hold no ill will for many HD riders. But I do have a few nit picks. I live exactly 30 miles north of the northwest gate of Big Band National Park. We get our share of tourists and among them HD riders in packs of 5 to 20 or so. When they are riding past I can often hear them coming, but can especially hear their pipes as they ride away 3 to 5 miles away. This is stupid. I have urged the Park Superintendent to set up noise meters at the gate but so far no success.

So the noise is my main complaint. It affects me many days of the year. But then I also have some serious questions about the culture:

- handelbar tassles?

If I tried I could think of a few more odd things I see,but that would require more thought so I will narrow the inquiry: Who can explain the virtues of vests, assless chaps, tassles, ape hangers, and beany pot helmets.

I think if you were to visit a Harley riders event, all your questions could be answered.
OM

Pete, you keep going on about half the Harley riders that make them all look silly. Probably as many do what you listed as don't do it and wear proper gear and run nearly stock bikes. Plus, it isn't about proper gear, it is all about looking rough and tough, and nothing better than chaps for that!

My experience in the past is all BMW riders are stuck up snobs! I can't tell the number of times I have pulled up to get gas and there was a BMW at a pump and I walked over to take a look a strike up a conversation and the prick would not even acknowledge I was there. I could do the same with a Harley rider and have a decent conversation. It didn't matter that I was riding a Honda. It really turned me off from the brand for years!

If you have to worry about who talks to you and who don't. Then you should hang it up. There's more to life then that.

I don't think UB was "worried" about who talks to him. There was a broader point related to the general topic at hand. Maybe the real issue is, "if anyone has to worry about someone elses choice of brand, dress, lifestyle, and appearance- THEY should hang it up, there's more to life than that."

Personal choices I have no control over so I move on... I have worn helmets, not worn them, ridden in full gear, ridden in shorts and Chuck Taylor high tops... ridden loud and quiet bikes... have gained painful experiences for some choices , but, still take personal choices risks at times... I just try to not be an asshat when I do.
When I rode baby Honda’s, I couldn’t wait to get a H-D and did at 18. I like anything with two wheels. I have ridden with a few chap wearing BMW riders and never cared why. We live close enough to a major highway and hear the drone of loud bikes and cages, big trucks on chipsealed roads, and move on.

The ship has sailed on people’s perceptions of riders in general... we are all the Wild Bunch to the masses...
even in your ATGATT choices, you annoy someone.

How about moving on from the beat downs of other choices... as mentioned in my first response it gets tiring here.

I'll answer your question: it's the type of person. Buying a Harley does not turn a person into an arrogant SOB.

Last Sunday I took the Motorcycle Ohio Basic Skills 2 course, where students ride their own motorcycles. There were 12 students on various makes: 2 Yamaha MTs, a Vstrom, 3 Goldwings, my R1150RT, and the rest Harleys. Everybody chatted with everybody else. Everybody admired everyone else's bike. The Harley owners came over to my RT and asked questions.

What caused this apparent breakdown in the snobbery? Maybe it was because we were 12 people who care a lot about riding safely, enough that we would dedicate a fine Sunday morning and some cash out of pocket to learn and practice some good riding skills.

It's not the bike, it's the person on the saddle.

I think if you were to visit a Harley riders event, all your questions could be answered.
OM

Well, I've been to Sturgis during the Black Hills Classic a few times and to Daytona Bike Week a couple of times and all that did was raise more questions. But watching the hill climb and the races was a lot of fun. :)

Local law enforcement

My local law enforcement gives me the odd look from time to time when they pass my house. I suppose it was because of a conversation I had with one of the officers some years back regarding a noisy vehicle in the neighborhood I had gotten tired of hearing in my living room each time the owner pulled out of our side street onto the main.

I must say the officer was very good, listened to my comments but his eyebrows shot up when I made the comment, "loud pipes muffle the shotgun blast!". A nervous laugh and he went to talk to the offender, in that case problem was solved without the shotgun.

one percenters, loud pipe *******s, crotch rocket squids, all of them in the mind's eye of Mr, and Mrs average are THE motorcyclists, there exist no other motorcyclist and darn it, something should be done about ALL motorcyclists.

Don't get me started on the helmet issue, I have been knocked off a motorcycle at speed twice in my riding career and both times was wearing proper gear. My cousin a HD rider has seen the two helmets I was wearing and the damage they sustained only to pop his helmet off and put on the do rag as soon as he can. His stupid grin I guess gives him protection agains brain damage if he should hit the pavement. Or, maybe his brain is so small and cushioned so well by water in the skull, he doesn't have to worry? I only pray he never finds out as I have the damage which can be inflicted in milliseconds by some one not paying attention to their driving or a deer deciding to cross the road. St.

I like them all.......

Untitled.jpg

And there's plenty of buffoonery to go around on all brands. And each brand seems to have it's costume for some folks.

- handelbar tassles?

This whole list, (which I admire for it's detail), is what I was/am talking about. People in general see these Hell's Angel wannabees in these ridiculous outfits, then hear the roaring pipes, and think," What a bunch of idiots!" Then I come along on a quiet bike with helmet, etc. but I'm already tarred with the same brush. Since all they ever see is the Harley crowd, because every male in the country seems to want one, we all get a bad image. Maybe less courtesy on the road. Possibly a subtle feeling that we don't belong on the road with "decent" drivers. Motorcycling is dangerous enough without knowingly antagonizing the car driving population.

And, in answer to your question, Paul, I would submit that, as we would all probably agree, Harleys seem to be 95% about image. The bad-ass costumes along with the ever present prison goatee are a necessity.

Last edited:
Harley's

I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.

That's right. Only us true bikers who wear whale skin riding suits, Fluorescent Orange vests and ride to coffee shops on our GS's know the real deal.

Motorcycling is dangerous enough without knowingly antagonizing the car driving population.

I am with you 100% on this point. I don't care what anyone else rides, but I do care if that ride is intruding on other people. We either police ourselves or we are inviting the government to do it by pissing off cagers who vastly outnumber us. It's already happening in Europe. Bikes are being banned from select roads because of the noise. And it's not just Harleys. Our course, telling those in the loud bike crowd usually just pisses them off and they become more obnoxious.

BTW, stock Harleys sound great and I wish my 1250RT was a bit quieter.

Back