Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley owners: Born or Made?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I was at the Springfield Mile dirt track races one year.
    Speaking of dirt track, I was at the Syracuse Mile once when Bubba Shobert was cleaning up in flat track - on a Honda when everyone else was on an XR750. He was roundly booed by the crowd every time he came out for practice and when he was accepting the winner's trophy. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Speaking of dirt track, I was at the Syracuse Mile once when Bubba Shobert was cleaning up in flat track - on a Honda when everyone else was on an XR750. He was roundly booed by the crowd every time he came out for practice and when he was accepting the winner's trophy. I wonder why?
    That would have been about the same time period as I was in Springfield with the guys in their trash bags.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It may amaze you at the cost of that factory part. MBRP may have something less costly.
    OM
    I already had a dose of sticker shock! Somewhere around $350
    My tube of muffler sealer was dried up and not enough for the blowout!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    As I was putting on by bright yellow Dry Rider Rainsuit standing under a canopy several cruiser riders were putting on their trash bags - literally. They wrapped their arms and legs with trash bags and duct tape. With a hole for their heads and two more for their arms they were tightly wrapped in plastic and tape

On a trip we stopped for gas and a snack, riding Harleys. Before taking off we looked at weather on our phones and decided to put on raingear. Their was a rider on a newer Goldwing visiting with us, he was traveling on vacation. He mentioned the rain gear. It turned out he was going the same direction as us and asked if we really needed rain gear? I showed him the weather radar on my phone and said I was sure we needed it. It was hard to judge his reaction, but it appeared to me the thought of needing rain gear never crossed his mind. We were by a larger city and I told him I would be hitting a sporting goods store and see what he could find, or be prepared to get soaked, or just hang out for a few hours until it passed. A few miles down the road it was pouring rain and we road in rain for a couple hours. No idea about the GW rider, never saw him again.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

I guess they would have loved him more if he was riding some antiquated motorcycle instead of the modern Honda.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Harley owners: Born or Made?

As a Harley and RT owner, I totally understand. While my Harley has its place, and a feel of it own, I never pretend the the brand and the lifestyle is anything more than what it is. While I prefer the comfort of and tech of my RT, the Harley occupies a totally different area of my brain, and itís satisfying when I ride it. Itís like being married, and having that one thing your wife tells you not to have but you secretly do it behind her back hahahaha. (Not another woman either lmao)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tonyt0906; 04-12-2021 at 01:36 PM.

So I am compelled to tell another story. Back in the '80s when we lived in Topeka, Kansas, a couple of local police officers with the know-how to access motor vehicle records and identify all local BMW owners ( they both worked as detectives regarding stolen vehicles) contacted us about forming a BMW club and the Heartland Riders club was born. While it was active it was a great small local club. We had ONE business meeting a year, in November, to plan all of the monthly activities for the next year. No monthly debating society for this club! New Years Day Ride, Valentines Day Ride to Russell Stover's Candy Store, St. Patrick's Day Ride, etc.. Every month! Some club member became in charge of each month.

So we were on a ride - I forget which month. We had a member who was a Harley rider. The club was mostly BMW folk but we didn't discriminate against other riders. We were on a monthly club ride and had stopped at a historic site - it was a cemetery from the days of Quantrille's Raiders and the burning of Lawrence, Kansas. It started to rain and I put on my OLD Dry Rider, yellowish gray but used to be yellow rainsuit. He, in his leather jacket and chaps opined, "If I had a rainsuit that ugly I would wear it."

Flash forward to early December and the club's annual Christmas/Holiday party. We had a gift exchange. Voni and I were in charge of the festivities. I had purchased an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and dutifully wrapped my disreputable grayish rain suit as a gift. So we are at the restaurant, in front of the crowd, picking up wrapped gifts and drawing names from a hat. When my carefully wrapped but recognizable rain suit came up I drew a slip from the hat and called the Harley rider's name. It didn't matter what name was really on that paper. I threw it back in the hat and nobody noticed. He got the rainsuit as his Christmas prize. He actually carried it and wore it a few times. The statute of limitations has now run so I am able to admit my complicity in the fixing of this Xmas gift exchange.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-13-2021 at 02:56 AM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    On a trip we stopped for gas and a snack, riding Harleys. Before taking off we looked at weather on our phones and decided to put on raingear. Their was a rider on a newer Goldwing visiting with us, he was traveling on vacation. He mentioned the rain gear. It turned out he was going the same direction as us and asked if we really needed rain gear? I showed him the weather radar on my phone and said I was sure we needed it. It was hard to judge his reaction, but it appeared to me the thought of needing rain gear never crossed his mind. We were by a larger city and I told him I would be hitting a sporting goods store and see what he could find, or be prepared to get soaked, or just hang out for a few hours until it passed. A few miles down the road it was pouring rain and we road in rain for a couple hours. No idea about the GW rider, never saw him again.
    Stupid Honda riders! They annoy the heck outta me- that and their quiet bikes...who knows where they are- till they pass you.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt0906 View Post
    As a Harley and RT owner, I totally understand. While my Harley has its place, and a feel of it own, I never pretend the the brand and the lifestyle is anything more than what it is. While I prefer the comfort of and tech of my RT, the Harley occupies a totally different area of my brain, and it’s satisfying when I ride it. It’s like being married, and having that one thing your wife tells you not you to secretly behind her back hahahaha. (Not another woman either lmao)

"do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself;I am large; I contain multitudes." (W. Whitman)

Thank-you. Love my RT- loaded and touring Southern or Western U>S>A>for weeks....love my loud Heritage softail...cruising back roads of upstate NY on a Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Stupid Honda riders! They annoy the heck outta me- that and their quiet bikes...who knows where they are- till they pass you.

I usually smell cigars about then as well
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I have lived in Spearfish SD since retiring from the Navy in 1994.

For about 20 days each summer we are very close to the epicenter of Harleydom.

Crowds, noise, bedlam etc....

Approximately 500,000 motorcycles make the pilgrimage to Sturgis every year, some years more, some less.

It seems that about 80% of the motorcycles are Harley Davidson. Each year it appears to me that the percentage might slowly decrease as
    old men die, Indian gains market share, a few enlightened souls buy other brands or types of bikes.

There are a fair number of ass holes at Sturgis, more open pipes or loud bikes than ass holes but plenty of both to go around.

I was a Honda/Yamaha dealer for six years, we were glad to put tires on Harleys.

In the heyday of the Japanese Cruiser (2000-2005) Of the 20% of the bikes that were/are not Harleys Honda and Yamaha had a little more than 50% of the market, I just wanted each one of the approximately 50,000 Honda and Yamaha riders to come to Outdoor Motorsports and make a $2 contribution to my retirement fund! Many did.

We sold a lot of Honda branded Spark Plugs to Harley riders - the bikes were often jetted excessively rich and became even more excessively rich when operated at the 3,500-7,000 foot elevations here in the Black Hills. My wife often relates the story of the grizzled old 1%er seeking new plugs for his poorly running ride, we had the appropriate heat range and sized sparkplug but she was reluctant to bring it to him at the counter as it was labeled "Honda Lawnmower Sparkplug".
    The 1%er didn't care, he left happy and there was another $2 in the retirement fund.

Speaking of 1%er's - never had a problem with one in my store or later while working over in Sturgis during the Rally doing windshield installations.
    In general, if you treated them fair they treated you the same. I am aware of one instance where there was an issue at a local repair shop, One of the clubs owned a motel in Spearfish and one of the "officers" of the club had some serious engine issues during the rally. His bike was towed to a local independent V-Twin repair shop and the tech tore down the engine and began the repair. Several days passed and the bike remained on a lift, engine apart awaiting parts. The Patch Member sent his/a pledge (wannabe) over to ascertain what the ststus of his bike was. The Pledge began making an issue with the tech causing mayhem, threatening the health and welfare etc.... The shop owner found a large cardboard box, gathered up all of the "Parts" set them outside the door, pushed the bike outside with the box and told "Jr" you go back and tell your sponsor that if he wants his bike fixed he needs to come and see me himself. After a little more bluster "Jr" departed and returned, much chagrined, about an hour later with his sponsor. The Sponsor apologized most profusely to the shop owner and put the pledge to work cleaning parts etc for the shopowner at no charge while his bike was being repaired. Karma baby, Karma!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Loud vehicles suck. No place in civilized society for their existence for any reason. They are illegal.

HD mc's can be fun to ride like all motorcycles.

Throwing the 1% adjective out there without acknowledging what it really means and its association with the Hells Angels even if said individual was civil to you on a given day is disrespectful to the victims of their criminal activities which include rape, murder, battery, thievery and extortion. Nothing remotely romantic or adventurous about talking about the weather and spark plugs with criminals. Sorry.
    Signature

I hold no ill will for many HD riders. But I do have a few nit picks. I live exactly 30 miles north of the northwest gate of Big Band National Park. We get our share of tourists and among them HD riders in packs of 5 to 20 or so. When they are riding past I can often hear them coming, but can especially hear their pipes as they ride away 3 to 5 miles away. This is stupid. I have urged the Park Superintendent to set up noise meters at the gate but so far no success.

So the noise is my main complaint. It affects me many days of the year. But then I also have some serious questions about the culture:

- doo rags instead of helmets?
    - assless chaps as protective gear - left over from 1946 cowboys?
    - handelbar tassles?
    - vests as protective gear?
    - forward controls and the pap smear riding position?
    - bean pot or Nazi style riding hats called helmets?
    - loud pipes screaming "notice me, notice me"?
    - ape hanger bars as the appropriate way to steer a motorcycle?
    - clip-on earings for the faithful?

If I tried I could think of a few more odd things I see,but that would require more thought so I will narrow the inquiry: Who can explain the virtues of vests, assless chaps, tassles, ape hangers, and beany pot helmets.

Surely you must have known that this post was going to get a lot of comments. Topics such as these always do. Maybe that was the point.

Either way, you baited the hook so Iíll bite. As others here have commented, I see the issue here as people in general and not particularly H-D as a brand. Iíve met obnoxious, opinionated a-holes riding all manner of motorcycles and Iíd say even more not even riding a motorcycle at all. Of course Iím referring to cagers.

So I do not share your disdain for H-D riders, nor do I think that owning a BMW makes me superior in any way. Truth is, I just simply enjoy riding Motorcycleís, period, regardless of the brand.

That said, yes, we can all roll our eyes at the H-D guy with the stereo blasting at 1,000,000. decibels, dressed like the biker from the Village People who constantly revs his engine much to everyoneís displeasure. Then thereís the guy in the souped up Camaro behaving much in the same way....or the guy driving the slammed Fast Ní Furious Honda Civic with the annoying fart can exhaust making as much noise as possible. I could go on with more examples, but thereís no need. The point is A-holes come all shapes and sizes, regardless of what they ride or whether they ride at all.

"Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    Surely you must have known that this post was going to get a lot of comments. Topics such as these always do. Maybe that was the point.

Either way, you baited the hook so Iíll bite. As others here have commented, I see the issue here as people in general and not particularly H-D as a brand. Iíve met obnoxious, opinionated a-holes riding all manner of motorcycles and Iíd say even more not even riding a motorcycle at all. Of course Iím referring to cagers.

So I do not share your disdain for H-D riders, nor do I think that owning a BMW makes me superior in any way. Truth is, I just simply enjoy riding Motorcycleís, period, regardless of the brand.

That said, yes, we can all roll our eyes at the H-D guy with the stereo blasting at 1,000,000. decibels, dressed like the biker from the Village People who constantly revs his engine much to everyoneís displeasure. Then thereís the guy in the souped up Camaro behaving much in the same way....or the guy driving the slammed Fast Ní Furious Honda Civic with the annoying fart can exhaust making as much noise as possible. I could go on with more examples, but thereís no need. The point is A-holes come all shapes and sizes, regardless of what they ride or whether they ride at all.

Not even an attempt at an answer.