Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley owners: Born or Made?

Plus your Ural.

I ride KTM's too.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

I have owned and ridden Harleys in the past. What I wish for is that noise regulations would be enforced. Plain and simple, pull over a motorcycle and if it doesn't have a factory exhaust or a quiet aftermarket throw a big ticket at them. I'll include all brands in this wish.

One thing I will never understand is the constant throttle blipping at stop lights. It speaks volumes on IQ levels.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    There are jerks riding all brands. I know HD riders that are friendly as could be, and BMW riders that were jerks because BMW is the best.

It isn't the brand of bike, it is the person. We probably see more a-hole Harley riders because there is simply more Harleys.
    I agree, mine is better than yours is not tied to a particular brand.
    Have owned most brands or ridden more of the rest. The people have a common interest we all share.

When I started riding with the Beemer crowd, I was amazed at level of perceived superiority. All bikes have issues, some folks still defend their choices regardless.

The constant bashing that comes out of any H-D thread is tiring.
    The loud pipes is not brand specific, though since more V-Twins are sold and marketing performance gains put more out there. I have ridden on and behind loud Beemerís... letís be real here.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

The older I get, the more the loud pipes on any motor annoy me.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    The older I get, the more the loud pipes on any motor annoy me.
    My Kawa Mule blew the sides out of muffler recently.... talk about annoying
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    My Kawa Mule blew the sides out of muffler recently.... talk about annoying
    It may amaze you at the cost of that factory part. MBRP may have something less costly.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Plus your Ural.
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Plus your Ural.
    I prefer to refer to it as "The Mighty Ural", if you please. I feel the pain of the HD rider. The Mighty Ural is often the target of ridicule and scorn, but unfortunately the attacks are all too often justified and take place on Ural forums.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I prefer to refer to it as "The Mighty Ural", if you please. I feel the pain of the HD rider. The Mighty Ural is often the target of ridicule and scorn, but unfortunately the attacks are all too often justified and take place on Ural forums.
    Some irony there! The HD riders are also pretty rough on corporate- even though they make the most fantastic bikes in the universe. Is my new Royal Enfield Himalayan between a Ural and a Harley? or a Ural and a GS? asking for a friend...

I don't mind a moderately loud exhaust, but some are simply ridiculous. Drag pipes on anything I can't stand. some of the more open mufflers are loud, but not piercingly loud. That said, my Harley had stock mufflers. Loud pipes and long trips wear on a person.

As far as stuck up, my sh** don't stink riders, the Ural riders are the worst! ;-)
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
    If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.
    Look at three concepts: Brand tribalism, motivated reasoning and confirmation bias. My observations with HD is that a lot of it revolves around brand tribalism and the bucket they fall into is pretty consistent in terms of the belief boxes checked off. Whatever. I haven't found that they now-it-all, arrogant jerks, but I have noticed they are set in their ways and aren't open to different experiences. Bikes or anything else. Again, whatever. I would move on and feel blessed you didn't sell it to his friend.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Steve, Stebe, natrab, and PUB are right on.

I've had a couple of HDs, ridden quite a few others over the years, several of my friends ride them, and I've even been in a situation very similar to what Stebe experienced - a bunch of us, including a couple of HDs, a couple of BMWs, a couple of Hondas, and a Yamaha, had stopped at a popular "gathering point", and the rectum who came up to me after we had parked didn't notice what bike I came in on... He starts mouthing off about the Japanese bikes while the rest of my friends are watching closely (and giggling, 'coz they already know how I handle things)... After hearing this tirade for a minute or two, he says "That's your Honda over there, right..?" "No, I'm on that red BMW RT over there." Oddly, his attitude and mouth instantly changed, still not "accepting", but at least not so condescending... Then he noticed my guys inching closer, so he shut up and left.

On the other side of the coin, I've stopped several times for dead HDs by the side of the road, and never got any crap at all, including from obvious 1%er-type groups... The riders who actually have a broader range of experience recognize what bikes like mine are for (and who the "real riders" are) and easily accomplish all in the line of duty.

Usually this attitude issue is born of ignorance - to SO many people, "motorcycle" means Harley and they aren't aware of how many different brands (and styles within those brands) are out there. They're influenced by their equally ignorant friends who have never ridden anything else, so not only are they ignorant (note that I'm not saying "stupid"), but they honestly have no "outside" experience and nothing to compare their rides (or loyalties) to.

JohnWC
    People like myself will, on occasion, "bash" Harley owners. I most often do it after a Saturday and Sunday of listening to the constant "rolling thunder" of countless Harleys thundering past my house all day which, unfortunately, is near a national park. The bikes didn't put those aftermarket pipes on by themselves. But we all have to enjoy them with the "Look at me!" attitude. Same goes with the black and orange bandanas instead of helmets, and the obligatory "Rattlesnake Gulch Harley Davidson" Tee shirt for road rash protection. And we could add some painted skulls and pointy mirrors on the bike also, just for safety sake.

It's like dealing with a bunch of children. Motorcycles are dangerous to ride, and getting more so all the time with American's addiction to phones. I'm missing the logic that Harley riders seems to feel they are just big, shiny toys to polish up and annoy everyone with the noise. As for the idea that "other brands are noisy too", well, not that I can see in the vast majority of cases. It's Harleys. And the owners seem to be mighty proud of it. " The louder the better!", I've heard a few say. Did I mention children?

I'm sure that there are fine people riding Harleys. I wave to Harleys on my BMW, and most times they wave back. But by golly, I don't have conversations with Harley owners when they are off their beloved steeds, I get a lecture. And it is tiresome.

I was at Daytona 200 with my bike this year and thought I was clever getting there early and parking under a hard canopy, open to bike parking, to keep my bike from being baked in the sun. When the race was over, won by 3 feet after 200 miles of racing, I returned to saddle up and head for Key West. The loud pipe crowd, revving their engines engines excessively under the canopy had to be causing physical damage. Not such a great idea parking under the canopy at this point. I hurriedly got my ear plugs in and it was still really really loud. It reminded me of a time refueling the car, under a hard canopy, and having a single bike being revved to excess. Its not necessarily about a specific manufacturer. We have people in our community, who claim to be educated, taking race bikes (older two strokes) and annoying the hell out of the neighbors. They don't have the skill, inclination or nerve to take the race bike to a race track but its OK to run it around like a NOOB. Its not the 1960's any longer.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

I was at the Springfield Mile dirt track races one year. Sunday it was raining and eventually the races were rescheduled for Monday. Much of the crowd had to work on Monday so many riders were preparing to head home in the rain. As I was putting on by bright yellow Dry Rider Rainsuit standing under a canopy several cruiser riders were putting on their trash bags - literally. They wrapped their arms and legs with trash bags and duct tape. With a hole for their heads and two more for their arms they were tightly wrapped in plastic and tape when the Sun came out, and the clouds disappeared. I took off my rainsuit and rode away as they were cutting off their trash bag-duct tape rainsuits in what was sweltering sunshine. They were all sweating like sinners in church.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/