Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley owners: Born or Made?

JohnWC

Harley owners: Born or Made?

I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
    If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.

He wasn't really trying to convince you. He was probably trying to reaffirm in his mind why he liked his Harley compared to the BMW he was looking at.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one.
    The latter. And then they get worse.

Having said that, it only applies to about 97% of them.

3 Red Bricks
    Good thing BMW owners don't think that way.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

A large segment

I have run into BMW owners just as obnoxious along with obnoxious people in just about every segment of life I experience.

Media, parents, friends, school, genetics, intelligence or lack thereof along with faith or lack of, make people the way they are.

As a theologian, I kind of know the reasons why people are the way they are, not a topic for this forum. St.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
    If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.
    I would like to see the Harley Bashing given a rest.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

My first Harley was my 3rd motorcycle. For 30 years, I only rode Harleys. I bought my FXR after a test ride, because it fit me. It was comfortable, I wasn't in any hurry, obviously, the FXR cornered better than any other Harley, I loved it. I sometimes wish I'd never let it go, but at that time we had the FXR, my wife's Sportster, and my Electra Glide. Too much insurance and maintenance to keep all 3.

With that said, I've always been mystified by the phenomenon that is the subject of this thread. Sure, I loved my Harley, but I love pretty much all motorcycles. What anyone else rides is their choice, and I'm happy for them. I can't count how many of the meek and mild Harley owners I've known who suddenly become swaggering ash-holes when they are on, or near their bike. What's up with that? Buying, owning, or riding a Harley doesn't make you an instant badass any more than owning my RT makes me a Grand Prix racer.

Once my friend Dave and I were out on a ride in Germany, me on my FXR and Dave on his Ninja. We stopped at a park to talk with some guys, we knew some of them. One guy who wasn't paying attention when we rode up started giving me a hard time. "I wouldn't be caught dead on that urinal you're riding." he told me. Then he went on to tell a tale of some rally he'd attended where a bunch of guys belonging to a 1% type club all walked over and peed all over somebody's Ninja. "I'll bet $10 you won't pee on my bike." I offered. After some back and forth and posturing on his part I turned to Dave and said "Let's hit it." As I got on my bike the guy came over and started apologizing to me. "You need to apologize to Dave" I said, "and so should I, I shouldn't have put him in that position where some ash-hole might actually pee on his bike."

Macho BS. All motorcyclists should stick together, we're endangered enough without in-fighting.

I know the type but thankfully don't have to deal with them very often. On the other side there are tons of HD haters out there to for opposite opinions. Not a brand I care for to date but I try to keep my mouth shut on the topic as when I open my Moto B&B some HD owners will probably be my guests. About as far as I will go is to state that cruisers are not my style of bike.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

This really gets old. Funny thing, I don't recall this level of animosity (?put down?) towards BMW riders on the Harley forum I frequent. Maybe those dumb arrogant know-it-all pirates are more tolerant too? Just sayin'

Lots of friends

I have quite a few friends and relatives who own Harleys and are the nicest guys.

I should make it clear, my comments earlier are in regard to those of the brand who do the wrong thing with the loud pipes and offensive behavior. Most of the Harley guys I know are far more sociable than the majority of the BMW riders I encounter. St.

You should’ve listened to your inner voice and not done this.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Not bashing the bikes (though they are not my preference), but at least here in California there are a lot of a-holes who buy into the brand. To be clear though, it's the people. Same people who will coal-roll you or run you off the road in their lifted truck. I do lay some blame on the company and the media for peddling this "badass outlaw" image that so many people seem to think they are purchasing when they drop their money at the dealer.

That being said, I know plenty of excellent people who ride Harleys. They just don't get your attention as well as the a-holes do out on the road.
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 111k miles & 2007 R1200S
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

There are jerks riding all brands. I know HD riders that are friendly as could be, and BMW riders that were jerks because BMW is the best.

It isn't the brand of bike, it is the person. We probably see more a-hole Harley riders because there is simply more Harleys.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    There are jerks riding all brands. I know HD riders that are friendly as could be, and BMW riders that were jerks because BMW is the best.

It isn't the brand of bike, it is the person. We probably see more a-hole Harley riders because there is simply more Harleys.
    I've been riding BMWs since 1980 and I do not think they are the best bikes made. As a matter of fact, I am certain they are not. I had an FJR and Super Tenere not long ago and they were more reliable and far less expensive than their BMW counter parts. Also they have a much more robust dealer net work and an online presence that provides technical support equal to that found here. The FJR community in particular is very close knit and supportive. I sold my FJR over two years ago and still regularly frequent two FJR forums. There are 4 or 5 of us that switched to BMWs and nobody on the FJR forums gives a damn. So, I do not think BMWs are the best bike available; you must acknowledge that the number of failures, recalls and stop sale orders that BMW had over the past several years is nothing else if not embarrassing to the brand. I do not even think they are better or more reliable than a Harley. I am quite certain they are not more reliable or durable than a Yamaha or Honda. BMWs are, however, the bike I prefer to ride. And in general I find I have more in common with BMW riders than I do with Harley riders.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Plus your Ural.