• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley owners: Born or Made?

I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.

He wasn't really trying to convince you. He was probably trying to reaffirm in his mind why he liked his Harley compared to the BMW he was looking at.

My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one.

The latter. And then they get worse.

Having said that, it only applies to about 97% of them. :D

A large segment

I have run into BMW owners just as obnoxious along with obnoxious people in just about every segment of life I experience.

Media, parents, friends, school, genetics, intelligence or lack thereof along with faith or lack of, make people the way they are.

As a theologian, I kind of know the reasons why people are the way they are, not a topic for this forum. St.

I shouldn't do this, but I will. I've just spent two hours with a Harley owner who was looking at my R1100, for his friend,who was thinking of buying it. I must say it was some of the most tiresome time I've had to endure for a while. Of course I also have to do the same thing with my brother in law and his Harley at Christmas, and other Harley owners whom I chance to meet. My question is: is buying a Harley what seems to turn these guys in to know-it-all, arrogant jerks, or, is it just that that's the type of person who buys one. " Harleys are the absolute best; no other make compares; the rest of us are apparently too stupid to understand that obvious fact; were not supporting true American companies," etc, etc.)
If people want to own them, and decorate their entire wardrobe and truck and everything else right down to their underwear with free advertising for Harley, go ahead. We're already forced to listen to the braying exhaust of these little tanks, but must the rest of us also listen to the endless glorifying of this brand by their proud owners? Give it a rest, boys.

I would like to see the Harley Bashing given a rest. :banghead
OM

My first Harley was my 3rd motorcycle. For 30 years, I only rode Harleys. I bought my FXR after a test ride, because it fit me. It was comfortable, I wasn't in any hurry, obviously, the FXR cornered better than any other Harley, I loved it. I sometimes wish I'd never let it go, but at that time we had the FXR, my wife's Sportster, and my Electra Glide. Too much insurance and maintenance to keep all 3.

With that said, I've always been mystified by the phenomenon that is the subject of this thread. Sure, I loved my Harley, but I love pretty much all motorcycles. What anyone else rides is their choice, and I'm happy for them. I can't count how many of the meek and mild Harley owners I've known who suddenly become swaggering ash-holes when they are on, or near their bike. What's up with that? Buying, owning, or riding a Harley doesn't make you an instant badass any more than owning my RT makes me a Grand Prix racer.

Once my friend Dave and I were out on a ride in Germany, me on my FXR and Dave on his Ninja. We stopped at a park to talk with some guys, we knew some of them. One guy who wasn't paying attention when we rode up started giving me a hard time. "I wouldn't be caught dead on that urinal you're riding." he told me. Then he went on to tell a tale of some rally he'd attended where a bunch of guys belonging to a 1% type club all walked over and peed all over somebody's Ninja. "I'll bet $10 you won't pee on my bike." I offered. After some back and forth and posturing on his part I turned to Dave and said "Let's hit it." As I got on my bike the guy came over and started apologizing to me. "You need to apologize to Dave" I said, "and so should I, I shouldn't have put him in that position where some ash-hole might actually pee on his bike."

Macho BS. All motorcyclists should stick together, we're endangered enough without in-fighting.

I know the type but thankfully don't have to deal with them very often. On the other side there are tons of HD haters out there to for opposite opinions. Not a brand I care for to date but I try to keep my mouth shut on the topic as when I open my Moto B&B some HD owners will probably be my guests. About as far as I will go is to state that cruisers are not my style of bike. :ha

This really gets old. Funny thing, I don't recall this level of animosity (?put down?) towards BMW riders on the Harley forum I frequent. Maybe those dumb arrogant know-it-all pirates are more tolerant too? Just sayin'

Lots of friends

I have quite a few friends and relatives who own Harleys and are the nicest guys.

I should make it clear, my comments earlier are in regard to those of the brand who do the wrong thing with the loud pipes and offensive behavior. Most of the Harley guys I know are far more sociable than the majority of the BMW riders I encounter. St.

You should’ve listened to your inner voice and not done this. :(

Not bashing the bikes (though they are not my preference), but at least here in California there are a lot of a-holes who buy into the brand. To be clear though, it's the people. Same people who will coal-roll you or run you off the road in their lifted truck. I do lay some blame on the company and the media for peddling this "badass outlaw" image that so many people seem to think they are purchasing when they drop their money at the dealer.

That being said, I know plenty of excellent people who ride Harleys. They just don't get your attention as well as the a-holes do out on the road.

There are jerks riding all brands. I know HD riders that are friendly as could be, and BMW riders that were jerks because BMW is the best.

It isn't the brand of bike, it is the person. We probably see more a-hole Harley riders because there is simply more Harleys.

There are jerks riding all brands. I know HD riders that are friendly as could be, and BMW riders that were jerks because BMW is the best.

It isn't the brand of bike, it is the person. We probably see more a-hole Harley riders because there is simply more Harleys.

I've been riding BMWs since 1980 and I do not think they are the best bikes made. As a matter of fact, I am certain they are not. I had an FJR and Super Tenere not long ago and they were more reliable and far less expensive than their BMW counter parts. Also they have a much more robust dealer net work and an online presence that provides technical support equal to that found here. The FJR community in particular is very close knit and supportive. I sold my FJR over two years ago and still regularly frequent two FJR forums. There are 4 or 5 of us that switched to BMWs and nobody on the FJR forums gives a damn. So, I do not think BMWs are the best bike available; you must acknowledge that the number of failures, recalls and stop sale orders that BMW had over the past several years is nothing else if not embarrassing to the brand. I do not even think they are better or more reliable than a Harley. I am quite certain they are not more reliable or durable than a Yamaha or Honda. BMWs are, however, the bike I prefer to ride. And in general I find I have more in common with BMW riders than I do with Harley riders.

I have owned and ridden Harleys in the past. What I wish for is that noise regulations would be enforced. Plain and simple, pull over a motorcycle and if it doesn't have a factory exhaust or a quiet aftermarket throw a big ticket at them. I'll include all brands in this wish.

One thing I will never understand is the constant throttle blipping at stop lights. It speaks volumes on IQ levels.

I agree, mine is better than yours is not tied to a particular brand.
Have owned most brands or ridden more of the rest. The people have a common interest we all share.

When I started riding with the Beemer crowd, I was amazed at level of perceived superiority. All bikes have issues, some folks still defend their choices regardless.

The constant bashing that comes out of any H-D thread is tiring. :banghead
The loud pipes is not brand specific, though since more V-Twins are sold and marketing performance gains put more out there. I have ridden on and behind loud Beemer’s... let’s be real here.

Back