• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Omega 650W Charging Problems

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
I installed an Omega 650 watt system 4 months and 8000 miles ago. After reading all the raves on how reliable the Omega is, I thought Airhead charging system problems were a thing of the past. Not sure now.

I always watch the RT's volt meter, and with the Omega it has consistently been 14v to 14.4v at around 3000RPM and up. Today, I noticed the charging light did not go off till around 3500, and then it remained very dim (only visible in the dark garage). I installed a newly acquired, digital volt meter, and it tracks along with the analog gauge and idiot light; verifies charging is beginning late, but then it peaks ay 14.7v, around 5000 RPM. As mentioned in another thread, the wet battery has seriously needed topping off twice since I installed the Omega, but it's a wet battery, so was not surprised. So made a mental note to keep a better eye on the wet battery water level.

It's been many moons since I had to troubleshoot an Airhead charging system, so today I began with reading. Of course I read it can be just about any component in the charging system, including the battery. So I am gonna start with it; clean and check connections, and go from there. The bike fires right up, as it always has, so hard to believe it may be the battery, but I am gonna start there. Everything else is new and part of the Omega kit, except the stator shell, which was re-used. Not a good day.

I would certainly touch base with who you purchased the Omega from. Get their input on what to check.

I installed an Omega 650 watt system 4 months and 8000 miles ago. After reading all the raves on how reliable the Omega is, I thought Airhead charging system problems were a thing of the past. Not sure now.

I always watch the RT's volt meter, and with the Omega it has consistently been 14v to 14.4v at around 3000RPM and up. Today, I noticed the charging light did not go off till around 3500, and then it remained very dim (only visible in the dark garage). I installed a newly acquired, digital volt meter, and it tracks along with the analog gauge and idiot light; verifies charging is beginning late, but then it peaks ay 14.7v, around 5000 RPM. As mentioned in another thread, the wet battery has seriously needed topping off twice since I installed the Omega, but it's a wet battery, so was not surprised. So made a mental note to keep a better eye on the wet battery water level.

My opinion - the voltage regulator is set too high. No comments on what if anything may be wrong with the system. But 14.7 volts is high, and not surprising that it is resulting in boiling off of battery fluid. Any charging in the 13.8 to 14.4 volt range is where I would target the VR.

Appears To Be The Voltage Regulator

Today was interesting: I first replaced the wet battery with a Duracell AGM. I wanted an Odyssey PC680 but could not find one in stock, so settled for a Duracell with same basic specs. Also cleaned all terminals while swapping the new battery in. No joy, still the same charging problems.

So I next replaced the Chinese voltage regulator, that came with the Omega kit, with the OEM voltage regulator. Along the way I determined the digital volt meter I recently acquired was inconsistent, and useless. So I relied on the OEM volt meter and idiot light. Before, the gauge would go as high as 15V, at around 6000 RPM, but then flutter a bit. Now it goes no further than 14.4, and does not flutter, is mostly at 14.2, when above 3000RPM.

Only remaining concern: if I turn the garage lights out, in pitch dark, the charging light does not go COMPLETELY out till around 3500 RPM. In daylight, or even dim light, I'd never be able to see it. Never looked at that light this closely before, so don't know if that's typical or not. I am supposed to leave in the AM on a trip on the Airhead, but now having doubts. It's easy to just jump on the GoldWing, but I really want the adventure of the Airhead. Guess I will sleep on it, and check here in case anyone posts any words of wisdom by morning.

Thanks Much

On tour you will be running above 3500rpm most of the time anyway, so by your readings the bike should charge just fine. Stick the other VR in a saddlebag and ride the bike, but do get in touch with your Omega vendor just to clarify the correct or expected output of the VR you removed.

Enjoy the ride,
DeVern

meters

Joe, you seemed to have fallen into the gray area of multi meter accuracy. One thing for certain, in my experience as well as my friends shop, we never take the stock voltage meter seriously as to EXACT output. My long gone but expert dealer when I purchased my RT made it clear to me the factory volt meter was good but not great. So, I only use it a reference as to system health while riding. Is the bike charging, or not. Now between the two bikes I have, my RT and my RS, the two volt meters on the dash read one volt different in reading. The RT is pretty accurate, the RS is one volt low. As my dealer told me, good but not great. That being said, a good voltage meter is worth its weight in gold. I found out a long time ago not to skimp on prices when buying diagnostic tools.

To get your voltage readings, you really don't have to be riding. 3000 RPM is 3000 RPM sitting in the garage or on the road. So, take your reading directly at the battery with a good meter. Not to be a jerk but a ten dollar volt meter will give you a ten dollar reading, if you get my drift. Not saying to go out and buy the BMW official meter (if one exists) but get a good one or use a good one.

As to the faintly glowing light, well if all voltages are in line and good, it could just be a bit of stray current in the system. A bit if feedback in the charging loop causing the normally out light to glow. I have noticed it on both of my bikes now I have installed Kat dashes on them. As the voltages and amps are good for the charging system, I ignore it. Again if it concerns you a call may be in order. I don't remember if you have a Kat dash in your bike or not?

Bottom line for me is the bikes start when I want them to, the lights work, the electrical clothing is warm, the lights are bright, so far, the batteries have lasted two years. All of the readings are in correct limits, I ride and don't worry. Don't over think things, Rick and Kat are two good sources of information. Your diligence in checking things is excellent, sometime there is no problem. Enjoy your trip. St.

So I next replaced the Chinese voltage regulator, that came with the Omega kit, with the OEM voltage regulator. ....... Now it goes no further than 14.4, and does not flutter, is mostly at 14.2, when above 3000RPM.

Only remaining concern: if I turn the garage lights out, in pitch dark, the charging light does not go COMPLETELY out till around 3500 RPM. In daylight, or even dim light, I'd never be able to see it. Never looked at that light this closely before, so don't know if that's typical or not. I am supposed to leave in the AM on a trip on the Airhead, but now having doubts. It's easy to just jump on the GoldWing, but I really want the adventure of the Airhead. Guess I will sleep on it, and check here in case anyone posts any words of wisdom by morning.

Thanks Much

In one of Snowbum's lengthy articles, he describes the flickering GEN lamp and opening and cleaning every electrical connection in the wiring harness. What you are seeing, a faint flicker or glow of the lamp, mostly visible in the dark or shadows, is pretty common in these 30+ year old machines. If you have measured a good charging voltage, I wouldn't be concerned about it. One of my bikes has the Katdash conversion board. It is a wonderful device with bright, easy to see LEDs. I do find that the LED setup is more sensitive to fluctuating voltage. With the Katdash, I see a flicker in the GEN light more often than I did with the incandescent bulbs. The bike is charging great, and I don't worry about it.

So true

Michael, you cover another good point in the wonderful charging systems on airhead BMW bikes. Dirt and corrosion cause all kinds of weird things to happen with bikes. I have chased those gremlins over the 30 odd years I have owned my RT.

I love Snowbum's information but, I must admit, sometimes it is kind of hard to get into it, LOL. Some of the best mechanics and troubleshooters are not the best writers. St.

Let me simplify: The bulb is connected to the battery and to the alternator. That is one connector to each place. When the alternator is not turning the bulb lights as current flows from the battery. When the engine is running and the alternator is generating electricity and applying its higher voltage at the battery then the voltage is theoretically the same on both sides of the bulb. BUT, any difference in the resistance in the circuits to the bulb can cause a slight difference in the voltage and cause a slight flow of current through the bulb. And then of course a slight, dim glow.

That resistance comes from less than perfect connections but usually that very dim glow is meaningless in the real world of charging batteries.

Thanks!

Just wanna say thanks to the several who have contributed. After reading responses yesterday morning, I decided to take the trip. Now sitting 910 miles down the road in Holiday Florida. Coulda took a shorter route, but added a few miles for better scenery, off the Interstate the last 450 miles or so. Lotsa rain, but the Airhead is running great. The volt meter mostly hovers around 14v. The rain musta followed me here, NC now it is raining cats and dogs here too.

No worries

Way to go, no worries, panic when it won't start or the volt meter goes to full stop, or the light stays bright. Sort of like my body, LOL, St.

Back