• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R80RT Keys

Any one know if I can get a spare key made for the ignition switch. Can a lock smith make one on site at my home? How about if I need to replace the ignition switch as I have only one key and the bike is being shipped to me. Can a lock smith make one even if I don't have a key? Where can I get a new switch and key?
Thanks in advance

Keys

You can have keys made for your bike, there are sources online for the folding style which was stock, just do some digging or perhaps someone else will post a source.

The only problem I had when I had a batch of keys made for my 84 R80RT and my 78 R100RS was most hardware locksmiths won't do the keys. Once I got a couple of the folding keys as well as straight blanks, I found a high end car locksmith who was happy to cut them for me.

Now if you are talking about replacing a key because you don't have a key, I am sure a good locksmith would be able to make a key for you. The ignition switch is not difficult to remove from the fairing to take to a locksmith. All you need is something to turn the two hole nut on the face and it screws right out. it is in fact double nutted with the whacky round two hole nut on the face side and a regular nut on the back. It clamps between the two nuts with the plastic dash. I would recommend taking a picture or drawing a diagram of the wire position on the back of the ignition switch before unplugging anything, it will make it a lot easier to reinstall.

Good luck, St.

The only problem I had when I had a batch of keys made for my 84 R80RT and my 78 R100RS was most hardware locksmiths won't do the keys. Once I got a couple of the folding keys as well as straight blanks, I found a high end car locksmith who was happy to cut them for me.

The issue with these BMW keys is that the blanks are steel, not brass, and many places with key machines won't cut the steel blanks because they can/will damage the cutting wheel. Some locksmiths don't care and some have an old machine they will use to cut steel blanks.

This can however be avoided on an '83 R80RT because brass blanks are readily available that fit these locks. Look for a Taylor B69K key blank.

Thanks Paul

Thanks Paul, I should have added to my post the point about original keys being steel, slipped my mind, and to be honest, I didn't know there was a brass key blank available. One other issue with some of the locksmiths I tried was they didn't fancy messing with the original equipment folding keys which were stock for the RT and RS bikes.

Hey, I would rather have a lock smith tell me no, than mess up a job, if he isn't comfortable with the job, someone else will be. St.

Thanks all. I bought a new ignition switch at Bob's BMW to have if I need it I also have a folding blank I can have a spare key made if necessary.

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

I take it your bought a bike and had it shipped? Hopefully it brings you a lot of fun. St.

Back