• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

supply chain? canal block?

mntngrown

Simply waiting for weeks now, as I upgraded my suspension from the Beemer shop.(fast delivery from overseas great customer support) While opened up I have ordered from my nearest BMW authorized dealer a battery and air filter, no show. so I ordered from the K&N website and they created a label on the 2nd and still fedex has not received anything to ship. My only saving grace was the expansive hardware giant that I get any tool, ladder, cleaning supplies, you name it from and the battery for my bike is already arriving from New Jersey to me in Calif tomorrow, after a short wait. No air filter from any place yet. Was the canal blockage the reason? I am gonna button the bike back up with the old air filter when I get the first battery to arrive. No local bmw shops to drive to . The pandemic would in my mind cause retailers to up grade their stocked parts as they get less walk in in theory. Sorry for the rant. Should I get a Honda?

Simply waiting for weeks now, as I upgraded my suspension from the Beemer shop.(fast delivery from overseas great customer support) While opened up I have ordered from my nearest BMW authorized dealer a battery and air filter, no show. so I ordered from the K&N website and they created a label on the 2nd and still fedex has not received anything to ship. My only saving grace was the expansive hardware giant that I get any tool, ladder, cleaning supplies, you name it from and the battery for my bike is already arriving from New Jersey to me in Calif tomorrow, after a short wait. No air filter from any place yet. Was the canal blockage the reason? I am gonna button the bike back up with the old air filter when I get the first battery to arrive. No local bmw shops to drive to . The pandemic would in my mind cause retailers to up grade their stocked parts as they get less walk in in theory. Sorry for the rant. Should I get a Honda?

What bike? Did you try another dealer? Regarding FedEx, I find their notifications lacking. I don’t know if it’s the integration between the shipper and FedEx as the most accurate FedEx tracking I receive is “out for delivery” with nothing in between. :dunno
OM

The pandemic has screwed the supply chain for many things including parts. It might get worse before it gets better.

BeemerboneYard sent me some goodies recently, including an air filter. No problem and arrived quick, plus I used the MOA discount. I wouldn't run a K&N, but that's me.

over seas

We can pretty much get used to waiting a lot longer for items coming from Europe or the UK thanks to Covid. Sometimes even domestic stuff is delayed. I have had FedEX, UPS, USPS, and DHL all take far longer than pre Covid days to deliver. Also US customs is slower than molasses in January for stuff coming from out of country. St.

This is a huge national security issue which we will be dealing with for quite a while.

The pandemic has shown that although a global economy is inevitable and in many cases desirable, we need to retain a research, resource and manufacturing capability in critical areas. National defense, health care and communications come to mind. I don't think we are capable of supplying our armed forces with even small arms ammunition with our national resources.

Should I get a Honda?

Probably.

But if you don't, you might want to look into Beemer Boneyard as your dealer of choice. If you're not within driving/riding distance of a dealer they would make a good choice. There are others however I can only personally attest to BBY's excellent service.

The pandemic has screwed the supply chain for many things including parts. It might get worse before it gets better.

It's getting worse from parts to machines. One dealer told me the average wait time on a 4yd loader is now 14 months.

Part of it is due to the outlaw or cowboy truckers not having the basics to ride through the pandemic. I've heard repeatedly that wait times for something as simple as a shower can be 10 hours at the truck stops.

rare earth

The pandemic has shown that although a global economy is inevitable and in many cases desirable, we need to retain a research, resource and manufacturing capability in critical areas. National defense, health care and communications come to mind. I don't think we are capable of supplying our armed forces with even small arms ammunition with our national resources.

You and Paul are no doubt right. I remember several years ago as I was building or buying bass speaker cabinets the subject of the neodymium magnets came up. A speaker expert offered that US mining interests mostly gave up on mining the rare earth elements because China beat the market prices. Then the Defense people realized we would be up the creek w/o a paddle as those are essential for so many weapons systems. Very interesting topic. I finally got some stuff coming so I can ride my bike next week and see if my 1400 buck suspension upgrade will make a difference to my experience.

Back