• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Butte and Bozeman, MT GS ride routes or destinations?

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
Coming from KY to Bozeman, MT this June. I'll also be visiting Butte, MT for a couple of days as well.

I'd appreciate any info or advice on some local GS routes or ride destinations from any locals. I planned on contacting the BMW dealership in MT for advice as well.

Thanks for your help!
DC

Send Akbeemer A PM, he is a good guy and an MOA Ambassador. He knows Montana lime the back of his hand and lives in Helena.

Hi Daryl,

I'll do a ride from Butte first.

Take Hwy 2 (Harrison Ave) south out of Butte. Hwy 2 will take you through Pipestone Pass which is a nice ride. Coming out of the pass you will be heading to Whitehall. As you begin to enter Whitehall there is an intersection with Hwy 55/41; head south (right) to Twin Bridges. Take MT Hwy 287 through Nevada City and Virginia City to Ennis. (Very good bakery/restaurant in Nevada City. VA City is a tourist town). As you enter Ennis you will come to US Hwy 287 at an intersection with a statue of a fly fisherman. This route heads north (left) on US 287. But first some fishing info and a route to Yellowstone. Ennis is a fishing town. If you continue into town on US 287S it will eventually take you to US 191 and West Yellowstone. Much of the time after US287 leaves Ennis the road runs along the Madison River, which is a fishing mecca. I do not fish but there are many down there that do. We have a friend who is a displaced Hollywood producer that has a 12 bedroom "cabin" on the Madison and he can fish off his deck. There are always people floating past his place as they fish. I imagine you could get some info from one of the many fishing shops or outfitters in Ennis. Back to our route. Head north on US287 at the statue of the Fly Fisher. As you leave Ennis a few miles out there is a nice coffee/sandwich shop on the left. Head through Norris (Hwy 84 from Norris will take you to Bozeman so this route can easily be accessed from there) and Harrison. 8 miles north of Harrison take a left on Hwy 2. This follows the Jefferson River past the Lewis and Clark Caverns and will come to a T intersection at Cardwell. Take a right under I-90 and go 1 mile and take a right on Hwy 69. You'll ride through the Boulder River Valley to Boulder. About 5 miles south of Boulder there is a sign on the right that says Elkhorn. This a ghost town on a dirt road. Probably at least a 2 hour diversion. There is gas and a couple of places to eat in Boulder. Take I-15 south out of Boulder. Before you groan and think, "Oh no, an Interstate!", I-15 from Boulder to Butte is a great ride. You'll go through some great twisty areas with corners marks 50 MPH that will get your attention at 80. This route is 235 miles. You can ride several variations of this route.

Another good ride is in the Wise River Valley to Wisdom and the Big Hole Battlefield You will ride I-90 to and from Divide. Take I-90 south to exit 111 to get to Divide. I'll expand on this route later.

Hi Daryl,

I'll do a ride from Butte first.

Take Hwy 2 (Harrison Ave) south out of Butte. Hwy 2 will take you through Pipestone Pass which is a nice ride. Coming out of the pass you will be heading to Whitehall. As you begin to enter Whitehall there is an intersection with Hwy 55/41; head south (right) to Twin Bridges. Take MT Hwy 287 through Nevada City and Virginia City to Ennis. (Very good bakery/restaurant in Nevada City. VA City is a tourist town). As you enter Ennis you will come to US Hwy 287 at an intersection with a statue of a fly fisherman. This route heads north (left) on US 287. But first some fishing info and a route to Yellowstone. Ennis is a fishing town. If you continue into town on US 287S it will eventually take you to US 191 and West Yellowstone. Much of the time after US287 leaves Ennis the road runs along the Madison River, which is a fishing mecca. I do not fish but there are many down there that do. We have a friend who is a displaced Hollywood producer that has a 12 bedroom "cabin" on the Madison and he can fish off his deck. There are always people floating past his place as they fish. I imagine you could get some info from one of the many fishing shops or outfitters in Ennis. Back to our route. Head north on US287 at the statue of the Fly Fisher. As you leave Ennis a few miles out there is a nice coffee/sandwich shop on the left. Head through Norris (Hwy 84 from Norris will take you to Bozeman so this route can easily be accessed from there) and Harrison. 8 miles north of Harrison take a left on Hwy 2. This follows the Jefferson River past the Lewis and Clark Caverns and will come to a T intersection at Cardwell. Take a right under I-90 and go 1 mile and take a right on Hwy 69. You'll ride through the Boulder River Valley to Boulder. About 5 miles south of Boulder there is a sign on the right that says Elkhorn. This a ghost town on a dirt road. Probably at least a 2 hour diversion. There is gas and a couple of places to eat in Boulder. Take I-15 south out of Boulder. Before you groan and think, "Oh no, an Interstate!", I-15 from Boulder to Butte is a great ride. You'll go through some great twisty areas with corners marks 50 MPH that will get your attention at 80. This route is 235 miles. You can ride several variations of this route.

Another good ride is in the Wise River Valley to Wisdom and the Big Hole Battlefield You will ride I-90 to and from Divide. Take I-90 south to exit 111 to get to Divide. I'll expand on this route later.

Thank you for that information! Looking to do a few trips while I'm up there too!:clap

More on the Wise River Valley ride. Take I-90/15 west/south to the Divide exit (25 miles). A few miles west of Butte there is a fuel area called Rocker; best get gas there if you are not near full. I-90 and I-15 soon split after Rocker and I-15 heads south; take it. Although it is not nearly as good of a ride as I-15 north of Butte it is all in rural ranch land and the speed limit is 80 (running 85 does not seem to draw any attention). At exit 111 head west on Hwy 43 to the town of Wise River. Hwy 43 follows the Big Hole River and the Wise Rive flows into the Big Hole at the town of Wise River. Near the west end of town take a left on The Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway; it becomes Hwy 73 at some point. This a nice ride through mostly camping and fishing spots along the Wise River. You will come out of the Pioneer Mountains on Hwy 278. Take a right on 278 and head towards Jackson. A few miles after getting on Hwy 278 you will come to the ghost town of Bannack on your left. It is a National Historic Landmark. It was a gold boom and bust town and for a short while the territorial capital of Montana. It is open for walking around. Back on Hwy 278 go through Jackson and north until the road intersects with Hwy 43. An option is to take a left on 43 and go 11 miles to the Big Hole National Battlefield (Coddiwomple fodder). The Big Hole is where the Nez Perce led by Chief Joseph fought a delaying action against the US cavalry. Continue west another 20 miles over Chief Joseph Pass and you will come to Hwy 93. A left puts you into Idaho, a right takes you north up the Bitterrot Valley to Missoula. Back at Wisdom there is good food at The Crossing or good coffee at the Hook and Horn Trading Post. There is also fuel. Take Hwy 43 east back to I-15 and Butte. This route is 189 miles. Add 22 miles to see the Big Hole Battlefield or add 65 miles to see both the battlefield and ride Chief Joseph Pass.

Back