• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The 15 best affordable staycations in the US, according to Tripadvisor

lee

Debbie's Servant
Last edited:
That looks like a good list. But I do have to say that I find it interesting to say the least to find the Quality Inn, Daytona Speedway and the Yodeler Motel, Red Lodge Montana on the same list. And also of note: two on the list in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

That looks like a good list. But I do have to say that I find it interesting to say the least to find the Quality Inn, Daytona Speedway and the Yodeler Motel, Red Lodge Montana on the same list. And also of note: two on the list in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Why do you find it interesting?

No idea why they used the term Staycation.
I thought people might find the list useful.

No idea why they used the term Staycation.

The intern writing the article was showing off her new vocabulary. It is in some usage a stupid word because it apparently means two disparate things.

The English Oxford Living Dictionaries defines the term as: "A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation." Hardly a good use for a list of motel/hotels

However there is also some use of the word to "refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to traveling abroad." As if every average Joe tours Europe or Africa every year.

McMillan Dictionary defines Staycation as "a holiday in which you stay at home and visit places near to where you live, or a holiday in your own country."

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines the word as, "a vacation spent at home or nearby."

Generally, the word sounds a lot like retirement to me. :)

The Yoedeler in Red Lodge is nice, but I always stay at the Alpine Inn at the North end of town, within crawling distance of the Red Lodge Brewery.

The Alpine is very motor cycle friendly and the owner cooks you a hot "to order" breakfast on his covered heated patio in the morning.

Red Lodge

It's not in the affordable category, but I like the Pollard Hotel, and the nearby Snow Creek Saloon.

It's not in the affordable category, but I like the Pollard Hotel, and the nearby Snow Creek Saloon.

I noticed the Yodeler and Alpine are in the $150 to $170 range for mid week June.
That's a little rich for us :)

The intern writing the article was showing off her new vocabulary. It is in some usage a stupid word because it apparently means two disparate things.

The English Oxford Living Dictionaries defines the term as: "A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation." Hardly a good use for a list of motel/hotels

However there is also some use of the word to "refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to traveling abroad." As if every average Joe tours Europe or Africa every year.

McMillan Dictionary defines Staycation as "a holiday in which you stay at home and visit places near to where you live, or a holiday in your own country."

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines the word as, "a vacation spent at home or nearby."

Generally, the word sounds a lot like retirement to me. :)

I can't let go! Fifteen cool motels...OK? Staycation? bad enough the intern doesn't know WTF (s)he's talking about but that the editor missed it makes the entire publication suspect, the entire media establishment! Hell- I fear for the English language AND western civilization. If I ran things- it'd be a lot different! I'm thinking profa, not antifa. Next thing ya know people will be choosing their own pronouns ... I blame it on my operation- still can't pull a clutch lever, so here I sit- railing- ah- speaking of railing...15 great staycation railroad journeys ...

If anyone has stayed at one of the motels on the list let us know what you thought of the place.

Cedar motor inn in Marquette was wonderful! Motorcycle washing area, extra towels specifically to wipe off dew in the morning. Jacuzzi, sauna. Very reasonable rates. Oh. Motorcycle parking too IIRC.

Cedar motor inn in Marquette was wonderful! Motorcycle washing area, extra towels specifically to wipe off dew in the morning. Jacuzzi, sauna. Very reasonable rates. Oh. Motorcycle parking too IIRC.

I like having a wash area but Cedar Motor Inn is not one of the 15.

I like having a wash area but Cedar Motor Inn is not one of the 15.

I know...my bad. I got all excited when I read the article and it reminded me of that place. My son and I stopped there after a long hard day and it was like an oasis- I'll play by the rules from now on...in THIS thread! LOL

- I'll play by the rules from now on...in THIS thread! LOL

I'll let it go this time :)
2019 when we were there we stayed at the Birchmont Motel. We liked it because we had our bicycles and could ride the trail into the downtown harbor area.
https://birchmontmotel.com/

2016 we stayed at the old K.I. Sawyer base two nights and rode into town to check out the Tall Ships that were in.
A group of Harley riders earlier in the afternoon told us about the place.
$75 for a 3 bedroom townhome with a garage.
https://macasu.com/
The website doesn't show nightly rental but I'm guessing they do it when units are open.

Back