• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Schuberth DOT or ECE no Combination

jsd

My 8 year old Schuberth C3 Pro has been in need of replacement for a couple years now but I have been unable to find anything better or even comparable. I did not want another due to the Hot spot on the forehead and the fact that with a 57.5 head I am between two sizes and just not quite comfortable for the $600 price tag. I recently tried on a C4 Pro in a large and found that although the forehead may need a small spoon and hammer adjustment the rest of it fit quite well. However for some reason Schuberth no longer carries both DOT and ECE ratings. So one if living on the canadian border or traveling would need two helmets and swap at the border :banghead :banghead I contacted Schuberth USA after seeing that the Canadian version looks like it carries both Certifications but was told NO, all Schuberth 2018 and newer are one or the other. This may not be new news to others but to me it was a real eye opener.
Needless to say I have a AGV Carbon Sport Modular in the Mail with DOT & ECE ratings. Its not quite as refined but it is a lot lighter doesn't give my forehead a red spot. Its too bad I really liked the idea of integration of the C4 Pro with Sena.

Not to drag your concerns off track..... I am not familiar with anyone, especially riding a BMW, having their helmet checked. Perhaps I can be enlightened?
TIA. OM

I've never heard of anyone checking a helmet. Maybe at a racetrack but not on the street.

..... I am not familiar with anyone, especially riding a BMW, having their helmet checked. Perhaps I can be enlightened?
TIA. OM

I would not be worried about not having a DOT sticker when traveling in the US.
I used to remove the outside sticker.
Plenty of people order non DOT Schuberth helmets from Europe to get the cheaper cost.

I had the same issue as the OP re my C2 Schuberth helmet, the pressure on my forehead. I went with a Shoei Neotec that came from Europe with an ECE certification. There was a slight difference between the DOT certified Neotec and the ECE version, the DOT version had a strap and D ring vs a ratchet type quick attatch similar to the Schuberth. It was considered a different helmet even though it was basically the same. I was told the DOT version wasn't ECE certified because threre are costs associated with the certification.

Canadians helmets can have any certifications including DOT, ECE, Snell, and a few others. If you have one of those, you're good to go. No need to swap helmets.

Anyways, I've been riding in Canada, the US and Europe with both DOT and ECE helmets and have never been bothered by police officers regarding my helmet. It looks like a quality helmet and they're satisfied I wear one.

I used to be a sales rep for mostly bicycle stuff and DH was one of my main categories. I repped Troy Lee Designs and their DH helmets were by far the premium priced helmets. Guys would go on at me why they should spend the $$ when they could get something else for a fraction of the cost. One response was: did you go to university? Do you want to protect that investment? Half of them couldn't make the connection.

Would having the "right" sticker make a difference to an insurance adjuster in the event the helmet is called on to do its duty? Let's face it, very few of us wear a helmet because we enjoy it. We wear a helmet for protection, and a quality helmet will do its job regardless of what sticker is on the back. But when it comes to your insurance covering medical bills, that helmet might be providing some protection there as well.

Let's face it, very few of us wear a helmet because we enjoy it. We wear a helmet for protection, ...

I much prefer riding with a helmet to not. It is quieter, the bugs don't splat directly on my face, and the breeze dries my eyes out much less with it on. I do wear a well fitting full face modular helmet and that contributes to comfort compared to my much earlier open face helmets without a face shield.

I did not want another due to the Hot spot on the forehead and the fact that with a 57.5 head I am between two sizes and just not quite comfortable for the $600 price tag. I recently tried on a C4 Pro in a large and found that although the forehead may need a small spoon and hammer adjustment the rest of it fit quite well.

You have a long oval or intermediate oval head shape that you need to determine to get a correctly sized helmet.

With my long oval head shape, the helmet that fits me is an Arai Signet X. Absolutely no forehead hot spot with the right choice of helmet.

Harry

Ended up with AGV Sport Modular Carbon - DOT & ECE rated

In the end after countless hours of internal debate and watching reviews I ended up purchasing an "Italian" helmet. The fit is very close to the C3Pro, there is just the tiniest bit more room in the forehead or at least less rigid and more soft material there. The quality is excellent in the shell but a little sparse on the internals. Still a very nice unit but not worth the $790.00 price tag. I had one from Revzilla which I had packed up and sent back due to just not wanting to pay that much for something I was not quite happy with when I saw the same helmet on sale from Cycle Gear for $599.00. Glad I went this route because once out on the road the helmet really shines. Its incredibly light and has a fantastic field of view, first ride was 4hrs and in the end was very pleased with the helmet. I know for most having the helmet be legal in both countries is not a big deal but I worry about insurance companies finding a loophole not to pay out especially life insurance. I really liked my C3 Pro and am quite disgusted that my new "Italian" helmet is made in China :dunno but its easier to swallow with the piece of mind of having both certifications and being almost a full pound lighter. Perhaps in 5 years the world will have a common certification or the C9 Pro will go back to carrying both and be shaped like a head (forehead included).

By the way, I found out my head shape is long oval from a straw cowboy hat I have. That hat fits me perfectly and has a little sticker inside that says "Long Oval."

Harry

Back