• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

85 K100RT Rear Shock - Rebuild vs Replace

montec

Hi All,

My 85 K100RT came equipped with a Works Performance rear shock when I purchased it in 2005. The Works unit has the ARS (3 position adjustable preload) system and a remote reservoir. I've added around 60k miles to it and had it rebuilt once - about 40k miles ago. Needless to say it is due for another rebuild as the reservoir is showing signs that the bladder is leaking and allowing oil to seep out. The other seals should probably be replaced as well given their age and mileage.

The Works shock has served my needs well, but I'm wondering if the technology has advanced enough that it's time for a replacement.

I'm not a hard-core mileage junkie and can't justify $1k + for a top of the line Ohlins or Wilbers.

I've been reading good things about the YSS shocks available from Tom/Klaus and have contemplated one as a replacement. They seem to be reasonably priced and get good marks from the posts that I've found here.

My question to those that know is has the technology changed enough that it would be worth the extra money to go with the YSS replacement vs a rebuild of the Works unit?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Monte
85 K100RT

Follow up

For anyone following along . . .

I had a very informative call with Ted Porter (https://www.beemershop.com/) where he explained all the details of the YSS shock. Lots of information to compare and contrast the different options, etc. He also provided a solid confirmation that the technology difference between the Works and the YSS would be a significant upgrade. Not only in age but also in the internal design (ball/check valve vs piston/deflection shim for those that want to know).

In the end, there is a new YSS shock being wrapped up for me.

I'll be back with a post-install review once my work schedule and the weather in MN decides to behave.

Monte
85K100RT

Thanks for the update Monte. Ted took good care of me with a set of Wilbur’s last spring. Not only did he help me order the right equipment for my ‘00 R1100RS, he also helped me dial it in. Good folks.

Ride report

After a few hundred miles, I can report that I'm very pleased with the decision to replace the well worn Works shock with a new YSS. The YSS feels more stable/confident in the corners and is a bit more comfortable; even though, it's on the "stiff" side for my typical loaded weight (200ish lbs) according to Ted.

Hope the info helps someone with their decisions.

Monte
85 K100RT

Back