Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2011 RT final drive fill plug stripped out..oh s**t!

Done...for now.

Maintenance completed.

I used the speed sensor port to fill the FD (180ml = 3/4 cup BTW). While I was in the neighborhood I lowered the FD and lubed the rear splines of the driveshaft. ( I saw no type of lubricant was on there once I removed the rubber boot). Upon closer inspection it appears that my fill plug is indeed a Hex head. Shame on me for not checking it before I tried using the Torx bit. Also shame on me for assuming it was a Torx bit like every other dang bolt on the bike. (Why BMW...just why?)

I've got a new fill plug on order. Once I get it in I'll revisit removing and replacing the current fill plug. I didn't want to take a chance of buggering something up this time. Once I've got the new part in hand, I'll give it another go.

Big thanks to the DIY library in the Camhead thread. And another big thanks to all of you who commented on my post. Through this forum, I've learned so much and gained confidence to wrench on my bike.

DC
    Daryl Casey
    Frankfort, KY
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post
    Maintenance completed.

I used the speed sensor port to fill the FD (180ml = 3/4 cup BTW). While I was in the neighborhood I lowered the FD and lubed the rear splines of the driveshaft. ( I saw no type of lubricant was on there once I removed the rubber boot). Upon closer inspection it appears that my fill plug is indeed a Hex head. Shame on me for not checking it before I tried using the Torx bit. Also shame on me for assuming it was a Torx bit like every other dang bolt on the bike. (Why BMW...just why?)

I've got a new fill plug on order. Once I get it in I'll revisit removing and replacing the current fill plug. I didn't want to take a chance of buggering something up this time. Once I've got the new part in hand, I'll give it another go.

Big thanks to the DIY library in the Camhead thread. And another big thanks to all of you who commented on my post. Through this forum, I've learned so much and gained confidence to wrench on my bike.

DC
    Its always nice when a poster follows up on what they eventually do. Thanks! Ride on!
    Signature

Iíve done the same thing before I realized it was a 6mm allen. Get a good quality allen key thatís true to size and you can get it out. I like the bondhus ones (just donít use the ball end).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 111k miles & 2007 R1200S
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

And... for the record, a pilot was giving a crew chief (IIRC) advice on how to turn wrenches.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Based on Post #7, this thread, I think the plug takes a Hex (Allen) wrench.
    I just changed my 2010 Final Drive oil and it was an Allen wrench. Mine was pretty tight but i sprayed it with some Liquid Wrench and let it sit for 20 minutes. That worked.
    Bill M
    Loudon, Tennessee
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7
    1989 K100rs, 2004 K1200GT, 2010 R1200RT

I fill through the ABS sensor hole.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19