Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next set of tires for wethead GS

Next set of tires for wethead GS

My 2015 R1200GS came with Anakee IIIs. I got a ton of miles out of that set of tires, but I was a bit concerned that Michelin never bragged on how they did in the wet so I switched to 100 percent street tires.

But when these wear out, I am now leaning towards Anakee Adventure tires, which Michelin and others claim are very good on wet pavement. I live in the East, so my riding is almost entirely on the street, but on big road trips I will at times ride forest roads and other unpaved roads.

The reviews I am looking at are all positive for the Anakee Adventure tires.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

They were the loudest tire I have EVER run. I changed them out early at 5700 miles to get off them.

YMMV
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I love the Anakee Adventure

Harry,

I am 99% road rider just started off road skills last year with a dirt bike but wanted to go with a more aggressive tread as I ran PR4's for many years and loved them. I have been so impressed with the AA's that i would not even consider going back to a street tire on my GSA. I have had some mixed results with the tires on tread wear based on where they are MFG'd The tires from Thailand "rear" tires mostly have only lasted about 6000 miles. My first set ran almost 10,000 but were from Europe can't remember the Country. I am heavy and carry lots of items in my cases (est 900#total weight)and ride as briskly as my capabilities will safely allow.

Best regards,

Chris

Thanks, Chris and Lee. Mostly I want tires I feel comfortable with on gravel roads I will likely encounter on bigger trips, and also on wet pavement, like the last time I rode in Colorado and wound up in rain on a curvy mountain road. I was on Anakee IIIs and wondered about them in the wet.

All reviews of Anakee Adventure tires welcome, good or bad.

Harry

With my 2015 R1200GS I went through two sets of Anakee III's, then switched to Michelin PR4 for several sets. I liked the Michelins on the road, but changed to Mitas E-07+ when I took the RawHyde off-road course. I've used the Mitas ever since. They are a 50/50 tire, not as blocky as a pure off-road tire, but blockier than a lot of "adventure tires". I think they are great on gravel and rocky roads, and much better than I expected on pavement. I don't do hardcore off-road riding. On pavement there is definitely more vibration from the Mitas tires than you get with a street tire, but I'm happy with the tradeoff for better performance on gravel. I buy them from Revzilla and have my local shop install them.

Cheers, Ken
    2015 R1200GS

I agree, A3s are underrated. liked the A3s but mostly ran PR4s. Yes, A3 had good grip, it's just that PR4s are quieter as they wear. I tried a couple of sets of TKC70s my first trip from the Lower 48 to Alaska, they were OK but seemed to wander at speed on grooved highways so went back to PR4s. Both A3 and PR4 generally ran 2 rears per front, a front lasted me over 15K, which I thought was outstanding. I've tried one set of Road 5s, which gave me about 11K before both needed replacing. Trying Roadsmart 3 now, all I can say so far is they're fine on clean dry roads. I ride all pavement except when it's unavoidable, like when the road turns to **** as it sometimes does in construction areas in Alaska and the territories. Or where the GPS surprises me.

The only true knobs I ever installed were K60s. They turned out to be far better than I'd expected, then again I didn't demand much of any tire in rainy curves. Installed in Fairbanks, ran them across Canada including the TransLab, and kept them for several months after I got home. 14K, they still had several thousand miles left in them when I put PR4s on again.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    They were the loudest tire I have EVER run. I changed them out early at 5700 miles to get off them.

YMMV
    Same for me. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.
    I have Dunlop Mission tires now and they are by far the longest lasting tires I ever have used. 12K miles and the rear is only half way worn... No problems with grip in the wet either, as some have reported. Dry grip both on/off pavement is confidence inspiring but as always YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Which one?

My 2018 R1200GS will be needing new tires before the trip to the Great Falls rally. After several evenings studying the issue of what to get, I have come down to the Dunlop Trailmax Mission and the Michelin Anakee Adventure. The trip will run around 6000 miles or so on my roundabout route, with interstate, US highways, state and county roads, some dirt roads and forest service roads thrown in. I would like to get home with a safe margin of tread left on the tire, yet have good traction. I will be riding solo, carrying my camping gear, tools and gear.

Now to open the can of worms: WHICH TIRE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Thanks, Dave

Dunlop Mutant

Once I finish off my 2nd set of Dunlop Roadsmart IV tires on my R1200RS I am going to mount up a pair of the new Dunlop Mutant which might also be a good tire to consider for the GS/GSA models that are primarily used on paved surfaces.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mutant/
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    Once I finish off my 2nd set of Dunlop Roadsmart IV tires on my R1200RS I am going to mount up a pair of the new Dunlop Mutant which might also be a good tire to consider for the GS/GSA models that are primarily used on paved surfaces.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mutant/
    Thanks Darrell,

I was not familiar with the Mutant, but after looking it up it might be a bit more road biased than I am looking for. I am coming off a set of Metzler Marathons that were put on by the original owner and after riding on a few packed dirt and gravel roads, I am looking for something with a bit more dirt traction but still good on pavement. After this trip I will be exploring the Forest Service roads of the NC, GA, and TN mountains along with some camping and regional travel. Hopefully I will still have some tread left after the trip to the Rally.

Dave

Last fall I installed a set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions to replace my Shinko 705 tires. The Dunlops have considerably better traction wet and dry and I find them to be quieter. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission are also made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSlash5 View Post
    Thanks Darrell,

I was not familiar with the Mutant, but after looking it up it might be a bit more road biased than I am looking for. I am coming off a set of Metzler Marathons that were put on by the original owner and after riding on a few packed dirt and gravel roads, I am looking for something with a bit more dirt traction but still good on pavement. After this trip I will be exploring the Forest Service roads of the NC, GA, and TN mountains along with some camping and regional travel. Hopefully I will still have some tread left after the trip to the Rally.

Dave
    If you are mounting tires before a 6000 mile trip, and aren't planning on trail riding much on that trip, I'd plan on mounting new, more trail-worthy tires after the trip. 6k miles of pavement are going to really eat into any remaining trail grip by the time you get home... Probably more so if you go with 50/50 dirt/road tires.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSlash5 View Post

Now to open the can of worms: WHICH TIRE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
    I just ordered a set of Anakee Adventure tires. I got a ton of miles out of the OEM Anakee IIIs and they treated me fine, although I was a bit concerned on wet, winding roads. Michelin is now bragging on how well the AAs do in the wet.

Harry

The AAs did fine on a track day:

Harry

Harry, R0ckrat and Tzgo,

Thanks for the link and the feedback.

Once I'm out of the southeast, I do not plan on travelling on the Interstates much. I do intend on finding places well off the main highways and do some exploring. Since I will be solo I want to have a good bit of traction on the dirt roads as an extra bit of security. I will not be ripping up the trails or doing gnarly single track, just travelling, poking around in some (hopefully) interesting terrain, and doing a bit of backcountry camping. Time will not be too critical on this trip except for the rally weekend.

Thanks again for the input and if you have tried either the Anakee ADV, the Trailmax Mission or another suitable tire, give a shout either yea or nea.

Dave