• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gel Glove Advice

ramble

ohbeemer
I have had gel gloves in the past and time for new ones. Anyone experienced with these? Seems as if I am experiencing carpal tunnel symptoms from 400 mi days.

I would think setting up your bike with better ergonomics would be a better solution than just gloves? Changing the screen on my 1100S made all the difference to my right hand falling asleep on the bike.

I have arthritic hands and have tried several types of gloves promising relief. I find that soft squishy padding doesn't help while stiffer padding that spreads the pressure does. A physical therapist provided me with some Impacto industrial anti-vibration gloves that they had sitting around. They work better than anything else I have used and they only cost about $35.00. I think I got them from Zoro Industrial supply. The styling does leave something to be desired:

IMG_2621.jpeg

I haven't been happy with any that I've tried, they were too squishy and broke down quickly. Haven't tried the "Grip-Swell" ones (ads in the AMA mag; they're in or near San Diego).
BMW bars are notoriously skinny - I like the addition of Grip Puppies, they reduce the vibes and the resulting slightly larger diameter spreads it out over a wider area. I also have heavy bar-end weights, and they help too. Past bikes have also had either weights or a Bar-Snake.
Hmm, think I'll go look up those Impactos, thanks! Maybe they can be dyed...

I haven't been happy with any that I've tried, they were too squishy and broke down quickly. Haven't tried the "Grip-Swell" ones (ads in the AMA mag; they're in or near San Diego).
BMW bars are notoriously skinny - I like the addition of Grip Puppies, they reduce the vibes and the resulting slightly larger diameter spreads it out over a wider area. I also have heavy bar-end weights, and they help too. Past bikes have also had either weights or a Bar-Snake.
Hmm, think I'll go look up those Impactos, thanks! Maybe they can be dyed...

I look at them the same way as pink Snap-on tools. Nobody's gonna want to steal them.

I have used gel bicycling gloves for 20 years (or whenever they were invented) and at least 30,000 Kms riding commuting to work every day (5000-6000 Km a year) and yearly longer rides (1000-1500 Km vacation road trips) and recommend them highly for relief of pressure points causing numbness and carpel tunnel prevention. Also used gel seat pads for a while too. Should work well for motorcycling and yes, do everything else you can to ensure your posture and seating position is as good as possible. As with everything YMMV.

thanks for the tips, and going to be more in tune with the wrist positions, possibly wrapped until cured. I have removed the bar end weights that could have done just the opposite of the intended and today put on the grip buddies. will check into the gloves, the ones I got were more for impact from above the hands, like falling objects.

Ah, a bicycle shop - good idea, Ken, thanks!

Many years ago, one of my favorite screwdrivers went missing out of my toolbox at work... We had been told by upper management that part of our job was to "support" the area No Matter What, very big bucks involved...
I put a note on the door to the area asking if anybody had seen it (it had my initials burned into its butt) and please bring it back...
The next day, I walked in to find my note replaced with one that said, "If you ever want to see your screwdriver again, leave $50 in unmarked bills in a paper bag..." Great buncha guys!

Back