• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Light - 2004 R1150

r65_steve

Got the bike out for a ride and upon start up the battery light was on. It was off by the time I left the driveway, but I'm not sure what the light is telling me (I don't have a manual). I had the bike on a tender a couple weeks ago so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a little flat. Should I be thinking new battery time? (Battery came with the bike, which I got in mid 2018)

Thanks

Start with fuses as in pull each one out and look closely for a burnt or corroded one.

I believe that if the light is on, you are not charging the battery. That could still mean a battery that won't take a charge or the alternator/belt has gone bad.

yes

I got the battery light too just as I was going into strip down mode to upgrade my suspension on the R1100S. Several hours on here and youtube suggest charge to full capacity and use an ammeter and get close to 12,75 then crank it on and hope to see 13/14 . If it's a standard lead acid battery you could be at its end of life , but I am just parroting youtube so do your own research.

I found a thread on ADV rider that said this was something normal. Just need to bump the revs up a little at the beginning and then it's all good. It's done it before, but I finally thought to ask. And, well, it did drop off a bit over the winter and needed the charger so it might be dying.

The behavior described in the original post was pretty typical for my R1150R. Four point voltage readings would help: Key off standing voltage, key on standing voltage, starter cranking voltage, and engine running voltage.

That might look like 12.7volts, 12.1volts, 11.0 volts, 14.3 volts with a sound system.

Last edited:
On my 1150RT the light is on until I blip the throttle.
I installed a volt meter in the dash so I know what the voltage is.

If you need to blip the throttle, you are "exciting" the field which generally means your brushes are getting worn out.

Just a thought but I would tend to ignore it because it could be fine for many, many years.

As to Voltmeters, I found mine on Amazon and it was about 1.5" in diameter and digital.

I put mine dead center of the instrument trim right above the instruments.

I put one in that little square space lower left.
If you do this get a red one, I have blue on another bike and it's hard to read.

On my 1150RT the light is on until I blip the throttle.

My 1100S did this for as long as I owned the bike - from 0 to 119,000 km. I came to rely on it to tell me my charging system was working. The day its doesn't light up when you turn the key on but before you start the bike, check the bulb. I believe that if the bulb is burned out your battery will not charge.

My 1100S did this for as long as I owned the bike - from 0 to 119,000 km. I came to rely on it to tell me my charging system was working. The day its doesn't light up when you turn the key on but before you start the bike, check the bulb. I believe that if the bulb is burned out your battery will not charge.

Correct, the light for the alternator/battery must come on so the voltage regulator has some current go through it before it does what it is supposed to do.

If your charging system is working, I don't mess with the quirks. If my battery is charged in the morning, starts all day, I wouldn't be concerned.

Using the correct lamp in the charge light is critical for low rpm excitation of the oilhead alternators

Confirm the lamp is a 3 watt and not a 1.7w

62 14 2 306 126 BULB - 12V 3W

The correct type may need to be confirmed by measuring the current which should be 250mA @ 12v or ordering the correct one from the dealer.
They are not always marked.

Back