• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top case recommendations F800gs givi, shad?

Zwniana

Anyone have a Givi v40 monokey? Or any other givi to recommend for an F800gs

I have the Vario side bags and almost never use them. I think I would use the top case more. It should fit a full face.

I had the vario on my 09 F650GS and it wouldn't hold my helmet, so I wouldn't recommend a vario top case. I finally found a used Jesse on line and it will hold my helmet. I have no experience with anything else so can't comment any further.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The F800 I rented in Europe had a Givi V47 Monokey mounted. I could fit a C3 helmet and Darien jacket in the case. Not sure how much off-roading I’d do with that case, but Givi also makes an aluminum topcase that is attractive and works well, at least from what I saw on other bikes on that tour. One thing to be aware of with Givi cases is that some of their cases can be fully locked without using the key, so if your key is in a jacket pocket you’ve stowed in the case and you close the case, you have a problem. DAMHIKT. Other models, like the V46, require using the key to lock the case so you can’t lock the key inside the case.

Shad also makes a quality case; I have one on my K1300GT and it has functioned well and held up well. I believe all of Shad’s cases require using the key to lock the case.

Best,
DeVern

I don't like the thought of that big a box especially if I'm doing any offroad riding. I put a Pelican on my 640. Not too big, I think the size works well with the size of the bike for aesthetics.
IMG_3661-XL.jpg

Here is my 09 F650GS with all the Jesse's on. The top case will easily hold my modular helmet.
dfbb83fce1f9d4684fa6b22713d8dbc2.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The options are endless.

skibum69 is 100% correct, the options are endless and you have to decide what direction you want to go. Like he said, I wouldn't want to take a bike with a large top case like I have off road. I hardly ever ride off road anymore, so my setup is perfect for me. Just decide what you want the case for and go that direction. Good luck!

Yes this is awesome. Having the side cases and never using them I was thinking I might use the top case more. I am always worried about leaving the side cases on since I use WheelDock. Rather than side stand.

FWIW, my helmet fit nicely in the vario topcase when I had my 800gs. It really depends on the helmet, my is an XL Shoei RF-SR. Most of the time I kept the case collapsed, but it was really nice to have the extra space when needed.

I do like the vario. Just toooo expensive.

Yes, but keep your eyes open on craigslist, ebay, FB marketplace, etc. I got my side cases for a steal from a guy that bought a decked out demo bike but wanted hard luggage and my top case was a similar deal from another person looking for something bigger. I paid $200 per case.

My used F8GS came with the Vario boxes. I think they are neat, and I love the minimal racks on the bike. But man, are they ever heavy! I'm likely going to get the adaptor to put a regular Givi monolock mourning plate on the back. I have a Givi box that is 46 l I think. Light and holds a Shoei Neotech II as well as other stuff. Alternatively, 8 bottles of wine will fit as well. Very important.

Back