• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why can't BMW build a true 425lbs mid size motorcycle

Yes, thanks for sharing. You do a nice job with the custom touches on each bike. That F650 is really well done. Love the fork gators and the fake out KTM paint. What mirrors are those on the F650?

Those are KTM mirrors... hey... it's an orange bike. :ha Believe it or not, that orange was a factory color: Orlando Orange! (and the stock mirrors were *super* dorky)

I got that F650 about 8 years ago to explore an an emerging trend to smaller, lighter bikes as part of my work on the BMW Owners News Always an Adventure column I used to write.

It's outfitted with then-new-to-the-market Mosko moto luggage, and the sand pic was to test their crashworthiness.

Ian

Those are KTM mirrors... hey... it's an orange bike. :ha Believe it or not, that orange was a factory color: Orlando Orange! (and the stock mirrors were *super* dorky)

I got that F650 about 8 years ago to explore an an emerging trend to smaller, lighter bikes as part of my work on the BMW Owners News Always an Adventure column I used to write.

It's outfitted with then-new-to-the-market Mosko moto luggage, and the sand pic was to test their crashworthiness.

Ian

Nice, never saw that color before for whatever reason. Maybe you lost the turn signal :) Mine break if you sneeze on them.

What was the outcome of your investigations?

Nice, never saw that color before for whatever reason. Maybe you lost the turn signal :) Mine break if you sneeze on them.

It was one of the original Funduro colors. There were a couple at Chain Gang events that I recall.

Well, it is funny you should ask... and without talking too much inside baseball, let's just say that there was a sea-change at the MOA, the *big thing* became member-tested products.

My analysis of ADVriding's future got edited into a product review of the Mosko bags. :banghead

My professional skills involve the ability to see forward in markets and I saw the trend starting toward smaller/lighter but still distance-capable ADV bikes. 5 years later, you had the Yamaha Teneré 700, KTM 790/890, Honda CB500X, Suzuki V-Strom, ....

Ian

Well, it is funny you should ask... and without talking too much inside baseball, let's just say that there was a sea-change at the MOA, the *big thing* became member-tested products.

My analysis of ADVriding's future got edited into a product review of the Mosko bags. :banghead

My professional skills involve the ability to see forward in markets and I saw the trend starting toward smaller/lighter but still distance-capable ADV bikes. 5 years later, you had the Yamaha Teneré 700, KTM 790/890, Honda CB500X, Suzuki V-Strom, ....

Ian

Thanks for sharing a bit about your work regarding the lighter weight bikes. In my part of the woods the F650 size/power package is really superior on the secondary, tertiary and non-paved roads in Santa Cruz and Monterey counties and there is no reason for that to change as even if they fix the paved older roads, many of which are truly dangerous with root bumps, pot holes and slumped sections, they are still very tight and narrow and its just more fun to ride them with a lighter bike in an upright position with wide bars and more suspension travel. Where the design broke down for me was when using the same bike on the freeway at 75-80mph in traffic. Add attempting to commute on such roads all year the lack of wind and weather protection became more annoying. Solving that issue especially for taller riders only makes those lighter bikes more attractive to me. They are more flexible IMO as they work in more environments such as urban inner city, light off road, and twisties etc. with one type of tire. I always thought a modular bike would interesting. Unbolt the off road bits and bolt on body parts and wind screen to make it freeway useful. Might look funny in freeway mode but not if you the one riding it!

In my part of the woods the F650 size/power package is really superior on the secondary, tertiary and non-paved roads in Santa Cruz and Monterey counties and there is no reason for that to change as even if they fix the paved older roads, many of which are truly dangerous with root bumps, pot holes and slumped sections, they are still very tight and narrow...

Ya mean like Tunitas Creek Road... or Pescadero?

Back in the day I rode my G/SPD+ out of my CA office in Novato and spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods. You're right, the lower weight, upright, wide bars and decent suspension... all perfect for those roads.

Was back there a couple of years ago.... on a HONDA!

(zoom in on the map, there are some really sweet sections)

<iframe src="https://ridewithgps.com/embeds?type=route&id=15982380&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 1200px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

That's a lot of miles...how long would it take you to cover that kind of distance?

SPP

I did that over two weeks... hung out for a while at Mono Hot Springs, then the BMW 100th Celebration and just ride, ride, ride through Norcal, Mt. Lassen, Quincy, Redwoods, Mt. Hamilton, PCH...

IMG_1332-X2.jpg

20160831_091003-X2.jpg

Back to the OP, that Honda VFR1200X was *heavy* :eek

On edit: ... but the DCT was really cool!

Last edited:
I did that over two weeks... hung out for a while at Mono Hot Springs, then the BMW 100th Celebration and just ride, ride, ride through Norcal, Mt. Lassen, Quincy, Redwoods, Mt. Hamilton, PCH...

IMG_1332-X2.jpg

20160831_091003-X2.jpg

Back to the OP, that Honda VFR1200X was *heavy* :eek

On edit: ... but the DCT was really cool!

That bottom pic looks like Hwy1 north of Santa Rosa. If so, I cycle toured that from Crescent City to Santa Rosa last summer. Almost killed me :). Good example of what is happening to rural roads in CA.

That bottom pic looks like Hwy1 north of Santa Rosa. If so, I cycle toured that from Crescent City to Santa Rosa last summer. Almost killed me :). Good example of what is happening to rural roads in CA.

This is the Mattole road to Portola, south of Ferndale.... beat to crap and a ton of fun. Lost Coast area.... I've ridden many miles in this area on my G/SPD+

fwiw, the upper pic is the entry road to Laguna Seca....

Back