• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why can't BMW build a true 425lbs mid size motorcycle

I don't know maybe an 890 Adventure with 32.5" seat would be tall for you, but it's probably not much different than an RS is it? The Adventure will be a lot lighter though. My experience is only with the 790 Duke but its engine is anything but high strung, it makes power and torque everywhere and it's geared perfectly with a nice tall 6th. I had it out yesterday and was thinking what a great light weight tourer it would make because it's so light, torquey, and relaxing to ride. From a CW test:

"Analyzing power output recorded on Cycle World's in-house dyno, we can tell you the 790 Duke belts out 95.1 hp at 9,200 rpm and 58.2 pound-feet of torque at 7,900 rpm. Looking closely at the dyno charts reveals a remarkably linear power curve, which continuously builds power from idle until only 300 rpm below its 9,500 redline".

https://www.ridersvillecycle.com/search/inventory/availability/In Stock/brand/KTM

The nearest Ktm dealer 110 miles will not let me test ride...so my ignorance of 790 torque/engine performance. I would want an unfolded riding position not available in the Duke. The Adventure version are too tall.....

Yes I agree is could be a basis of nice light weight tourer. I HOPE!

J

....My compromise is keeping the RS and getting a second bike like the Honda cb500x (19in front) for local dirt roads and maybe longer touring if nothing turns up better....

That's an excellent idea. I've not ridden one but from sitting on them and looking at the specs a CB500X's seems like a great bike and a nice compliment to your RS. I've been tempted myself but thankfully the local dealers never seem to have one. :)

Lots of nice older F650 Funduro's around. I have seen them as low as 1500 USD with less than 35K miles on them. Spend another 1500 going through it and you are good to go for 50K miles other than tire, brakes and fluids.

I am always amazed how fun and fast my 97 is especially in the tight rough roads in my neck of the woods.

Funny on the car side BMW finally had to go down in numbers to 2 and 1 after the 3 series cars turned into 5 series cars and so on. Small, light, with enough power is always fun IMO.

"Why can't BMW build a true 425lbs mid size motorcycle"?

They did: The 650Xchallenge, Xcountry, and Xmoto.

Xchallenge: 144 kg (317 lb) Xcountry: 147 kg (324 lb) Xmoto: 148 kg (326 lb) (dry)

They sold like stale waffles at a week-long garage sale and were soon discontinued.

See: https://www.ultimatespecs.com/motorcycles-specs/bmw/bmw-g-650-xchallenge-2009

As always, be careful what you wish for.

Too tall.

Kept on falling over whenever I could not shift to the hang off the side posture when stopping.

Great platform, great motor, too friggin tall.

Gas tank capacity, seat height and seat comfortability seem to be black holes of understandability to the Mothership.

Was shopping for a KLX 300 today, ready to buy.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Lots of nice older F650 Funduro's around. I have seen them as low as 1500 USD with less than 35K miles on them. Spend another 1500 going through it and you are good to go for 50K miles other than tire, brakes and fluids.

I am always amazed how fun and fast my 97 is especially in the tight rough roads in my neck of the woods.

If you like the Funduro, you’ll love the CB500X - especially with a Rally Raid upgrade. I had a ‘99 Funduro, put on a lot of miles with several trips to the midwest, but that old bike doesn’t hold a candle to the Honda. Funny similarity about the old Funduro and the newer 2019+ CBX’s - both have reports of premature water pump failures. My Funduro’s water pump failed but was a relatively easy fix, fingers crossed my 2018 CBX’s doesn’t.

I think the question should be: Why WON'T BMW build a true 425 lb mid size motorcycle?

They could, but the market research teams have probably determined it wouldn't sell.

I love my 640 Adventure, but if you think 32" is tall try the 37" that mine is. I can get 2 toes on the ground, I just learned to get used to it and offroad when the ground isn't there I just fall over. No big deal. I love this bike and it has served me very well offroad and for touring. I plan to take it down the Trans Taiga in September. 625cc, around 400lb and 50 HP. But it's old now as 2006 was the last production run.

As for Chinese manufacturing, quality is not something you need to worry about. There is top quality machinery coming out of there which is a lot of why most motorcycle manufacturers have factories there.

Very capable machine anywhere it goes.
IMG_0069-XL.jpg

09SoireeTrail05.jpg

From another thread-

I really enjoy the KTM line and especially enjoyed the history of KTM. Part of that history is 'cause I'm old enough to remember the Penton.
There is a great thread over at ADV on KTM's History

I don't mind chains.....I don't mind belts.....Chains & Belts enabled the industrial revolution.
OM

OM

If you like the Funduro, you’ll love the CB500X - especially with a Rally Raid upgrade. I had a ‘99 Funduro, put on a lot of miles with several trips to the midwest, but that old bike doesn’t hold a candle to the Honda. Funny similarity about the old Funduro and the newer 2019+ CBX’s - both have reports of premature water pump failures. My Funduro’s water pump failed but was a relatively easy fix, fingers crossed my 2018 CBX’s doesn’t.

Its remarkable how similar the specs are between the two bikes but I would think an FI 650GS or Dakar would still be a better bike though the price point of a new CBX is pretty hard complain about. There's currently a 2010 650GS for sale in the bay area for 3900 with 44K miles with lots of tourtech extras though no luggage or racks. Only things that stand out to me are that the CBX has a higher output alternator and 6 speeds but the BMW has ABS and six more hp's. If I were to buy an upgrade to my funduro it would be a used F800 which wet is just 30 lbs heavier but has 85HP and for a taller person is good fit. Also has ABS. When that bike first came out I was drooling pretty hard!

I rode the first 800GS and to me the ergonomics weren't right, the footpegs were just a little too forward plus I didn't like how it flopped into turns. My friend got rid of it not too long after but we think he did something that he scared himself.

Last edited:
I rode the first 800GS and to me the ergonomics were.t right, the footpegs were just a little too forward plus I didn't like how it flopped into turns. My friend got rid of it not too long after but we think he did something that he scared himself.

I had an R80G/S back in the early '90s and never noticed this behavior.

I rode the first 800GS and to me the ergonomics were.t right, the footpegs were just a little too forward plus I didn't like how it flopped into turns. My friend got rid of it not too long after but we think he did something that he scared himself.

I sat on one at the dealer but didn't ride it. Nice pics of your Ktm and you I am assuming.

From the reviews I've read they did a lot better with the 850 for folks who want more offroad. I haven't ridden one myself so I can't comment. My guess is the ergos were different on the R80. I've ridden my buddy's but it's almost apples and oranges to new machinery.

The 640 is almost a cult bike in certain circles and plenty of us don't think there's a real replacement for it yet. The 690 is certainly not a real replacement unless you spend a fair chunk of change on mods such as a larger tank. The 640 carries 7 gallons.

For myself I just dig the funky look too besides the fact it suits my needs for what I use it for. Theoretically I'm headed to Nova Scotia on it in a couple of weeks, just need to work out a couple of bugs. One thing I have to say is this bike has never left me stranded. When the cam roller failed it let me limp to meet a friend for a ride, when the main bearing failed it kept going and got me to the next town even though I didn't know how bad it was at the time. Yeah I paid for a complete rebuild and off it goes again headed to the Trans Taiga in September.
IMG_3661-XL.jpg

This is what it looked like straight out of the box, a few changes since I've owned it.
Photo_060906_001.jpg

From the reviews I've read they did a lot better with the 850 for folks who want more offroad.

For what it's worth...
Two years ago I led a ride from Vancouver to Laguna Seca for the World Superbike Races weekend. Included on the ride were a R1200GSW, a K1600, a K1200S, a Triumph Daytona 675R, and two women each riding a new GS850, both fully equipped with luggage and a tail trunk filled with as much as they could hold. One of the women was about 5'2" and 110 lb. The ride totalled about 4,500km over 6 days and included I-5 interstate at average speeds of 120-130km/h, Sierra mountain roads at a pace I will call "brisk", San Francisco traffic (argh!), and meandering roads through Washington and Oregon - all in temps ranging from 20-40C. Despite having the least powerful bikes, neither of the women had any issues staying with or leading the pack. To no one's surprise all bikes performed admirably.

So, GS850 ridden by 5'2", 110lb person. Is there a moral to this story?

Last edited:
Got your 425 pounds right here.

i-HxCZzQD-X2.jpg

i-zDkzV8H-X2.jpg

i-7FKw45T-X2.jpg

Ian_Xchallenge%20mud-X2.jpg

Ian_Xchallenge-X2.jpg

Punkin_down-X3.jpg

punkin_leaves.jpg

And... my CB500X in Europe... I love it so much that I bought one for the USA!

IMG_1323-X2.jpg

The new one....

IMG_2713.jpg

(hint: this last pic is on a road you can ride to Montana this summer! :evil )

After reading the discussion, I can only add that 425 pounds with *2* cylinders is a more comfortable ride when you're talking distance. I find thumpers very uncomfortable to ride for 500+ mile days.

Last edited:
NIce! Those HP2's were cool.

I sold mine a couple years ago, before I killed myself on it... that bike makes you do bad things. Wicked on dirt, wickeder on pavement with the right tires.... :evil

IMG_1367-X3.jpg

(this is my son, btw, my ass is nowhere near that narrow)

Back