• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1100R Super Tuning (Setting TPS and Stops screws)

eleven

I am attempting to Adjust my Throttle Screw and TPS by completing the Super Tuning procedure authored by Rob Lentini which can be found in the R1100 Maintenance Guide/Internet BMW Riders. I successfully loosened the throttle cables and stop screw. I am stuck on the “probing with a paper clip in the TPS #1 slot” part. Digital Volt Meter works but I am not getting any readings and I know I’m going up far enough to reach the TPS #1 contacts. Anyone had a problem with this and know how to make contact with the #1 Wire connection? Thanks

Rob Lentini's procedure isn't a good one, it has some important errors.

Try this, which is an annotated version of the BMW procedure plus (only if you need it, a zero=250 procedure): https://advrider.com/f/threads/tps-...-beyond-zero-zero.996719/page-6#post-32357006

A strand of fine wire makes a better tool than a paperclip and remember, you have to fully reseat the connector when you probe are measuring the voltage. Also remember that you need to probe the ground pin. Be very careful that you don't short two pins of the connector. It doesn't happen often but it is possible to damage you Motronic if the +5V pin and ground pin are shorted together.

A super-skinny sewing needle can get up in there a lot more easily; attach a clip lead to it to get back to the Positive input to your DVM. There are many places that "look like" a good ground for the Negative DVM connection but really aren't; the brown wire there should be good.
Also, if you go too far to one side (I forget offhand if it's CW or CCW), the wiper of the potentiometer falls off the resistive element and you get nothing.

I am attempting to Adjust my Throttle Screw and TPS by completing the Super Tuning procedure authored by Rob Lentini which can be found in the R1100 Maintenance Guide/Internet BMW Riders. I successfully loosened the throttle cables and stop screw. I am stuck on the “probing with a paper clip in the TPS #1 slot” part. Digital Volt Meter works but I am not getting any readings and I know I’m going up far enough to reach the TPS #1 contacts. Anyone had a problem with this and know how to make contact with the #1 Wire connection? Thanks

Simple mistake if you aren’t familiar with the bike.... make sure that the bike is on the center stand and the side stand is up, then key on. No voltage at the TPS unless the bike is ready to start.

Thanks for your input. I’ve tried paper clips, thin wire and sewing needle. Nothing shows on the DVM. As a test I’ve connected same items to the horn using the same ground and no problem there. I have loosened throttle cables, left stop screw and have yet to touch the TPS adjustment screws. Pulled the boot down and probed each of the above three items (three separate attempts) far enough into #1 to reach the contacts, retracted side stand and turned on engine lever and ignition. Ground the black lead and touch the needle and nothing??????

Thanks for your input. I’ve tried paper clips, thin wire and sewing needle. Nothing shows on the DVM. As a test I’ve connected same items to the horn using the same ground and no problem there. I have loosened throttle cables, left stop screw and have yet to touch the TPS adjustment screws. Pulled the boot down and probed each of the above three items (three separate attempts) far enough into #1 to reach the contacts, retracted side stand and turned on engine lever and ignition. Ground the black lead and touch the needle and nothing??????

Side stand up?

Yeah it is fully seated. Is it possible to probe into the wire with small needle and get same result?

You can, but it's easy to damage the very small wires' insulation.
Just as a sanity (connections) check - do you have any voltage at pins 2 and 3?

Yep. Also make sure that when you pulled the bootie down, you didn't pull a wire out of its pin...

Nothing on 2 or 3 either when using a needle. I was careful when gently pulling down the boot and the wires seem ok.

Eleven

I’m guessing that your 1100R has the three pin diagnostics connector somewhere under the seat. If you are willing to ride an hour, I have a GS-911 3-pin diagnostic tool and software. One of the the very limited functions of the tool is a TPS check. It will verify if the TPS is set in the factory range of in-spec voltage. The tool may be specific to only the RT. I am not sure.

If the bike runs, then there’s got to be voltage there.

Just checked the hexcode website. Says that the R1100R is supported by the 3-pin product. You are welcome to contact me and come over.

Falling electrons creates a kerplunk effect...
Sometimes caused by a short between the headsets...
Both Pauls are kidding!!!

Now I forget if there's a connector on the TPS sub-harness that connects it to the main harness, and maybe it has come unplugged? Without a TPS, the bike's computer can default to its "Basic" settings (pre-learning the fuel/air/ignition mix), but it won't run as well as it should.

Send Mike a P/M, or maybe you have somebody closer... you need a second set of eyeballs on this.

Just another thought - With no voltage anywhere, maybe it's the brown (TPS Ground return) wire that's broken somewhere?

No apologies! (We sometimes try to lighten one's frustration...)

Hey Paul, do you have a Mobius wrench in your kit?

Back