• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Battery replacement and battery case for 68 R69S

martyp

Need to replace the battery on my R69S. Tried a lithium battery and it melted the wiring harness. Any suggestions?

Marty -

Welcome to the forum! I'll go to your other post in Airheads and delete that...this should be the better area for your question.

I've had several batteries in my R69S. The first one was a wet-cell and it lasted a dozen years...since the battery is not used to start the bike, it just needs to be kept charged. But I kept getting fuzz on the terminals and every 3-4 months, I'd have to take things out and use a baking soda solution to clean things up. Was a bit pain. So in the fall of 2018, I bought a battery from Vech at Bench Mark Works. I can't really tell who makes the battery...you can see the green writing in my picture. I also had to put some spacers below it to raise it up so the rubber strap is more effective at holding it in.

It is a maintenance-free battery so no more fuzz! But the issue is that the terminals are spade terminals and the wiring harness was designed with ring terminals. I went to a local electronics supply house and bought a set of quick release cables and a project box. I cut the cables in the middle and put ring terminals on one end and spade terminals on the other end. Inside the box, there's a terminal strip that I used to bring all the wires into for final connection. I secured the box to the top of the battery with a zip tie. So it's easy to pull the disconnects and extract the battery. It's also easy to remove the negative spade terminal if I want to do some electrical work and keep from hurting the battery.

NewBatt1.jpg

Back