Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling vehicles private sale

Selling vehicles private sale

I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my day, but today I sold one to a guy who offered more than I was asking, and said he would be right over with a trailer and cash. He gave me cash I signed the title over to him. When I went out to his truck he did not have a trailer. That's when he told me he would send someone next week to pick it up. I am wondering if there is some way I get bit in the ass on this deal with him having the title and me still having the vehicle?
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

That story makes no sense. Why did he offer more than the asking price? He said he was coming with a trailer. He didn't.

What is the vehicle? Maybe he just needs a title??

Is the cash counterfeit?

Cash=green folding money, so if that’s what you received then the first question is whether the bills are real or counterfeit. That’s fairly easy to check and a bank or credit union can help if you are unsure.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

It is a 1967 Cougar that needs work and I got a lot of calls all day. It wasn't until he was driving away that I started thinking he might just want the title. And how long do I store his car now? I never bought something and left it there.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

Flipper.

He has a buyer on the line for the car, quite possibly an online sale, and he needs something as proof of ownership before closing the deal—titles are easier to deal with than physical property. Were I a betting man, I’d suspect you’ll get a phone call from a shipper arranging pickup for a buyer’s name different than the chap you dealt with.

So long as the bills aren’t fake you will be ok, but I’d be getting video and paper documentation on events from here on out.

My $0.02.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Not sure how Mass DOT handles title transfers, but here is how it is in Pa. as long as the Pa. title is in your name, “ownership” remains with that person. That means that liability is on the person who’s name is on the title. If Mass. has a similar system, I would make all attempts to transfer the title, out of your name, ASAP. I also agree that you should ascertain that the $$ is not counterfeit.
    2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK

I have a friend with a quickie mart and his magic pen says the money is real. We checked every bill last night. Money looks good. Thanks for the info, on flipping it. I would have never thought of that.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

In Mass. you sign the title over and when they Register it they get a new title after paying the sales tax.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

If he is flipping it, then he is using your property as storage space to make/save money in a business deal. Think of what your response would be if a stranger approached you about storing a vehicle on your property for free while he completed a business deal to sell it. You could notify him that after a specific date you will begin charging him a daily storage fee for every day his car is on your property, and after 30 days you will have th car removed to a salvage yard.. You could find out what the local towing companies charge for storing towed vehicles and use that as a guideline for what to charge. Now all of this could cause more trouble than it is worth, but it is one way to get him to remove the car sooner rather than later.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

John - PM sent.

JG
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Thank you all for the input, the guy sent a flatbed about an hour ago. All seems well.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

Just to expand on Walsh's post - in California, there is another form when a vehicle is sold, called the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. It should be filed within 5 days of the sale, because it notifies the DMV that ownership has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Just to expand on Walsh's post - in California, there is another form when a vehicle is sold, called the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. It should be filed within 5 days of the sale, because it notifies the DMV that ownership has changed.
    Texas has the same thing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

That would be a better way to do it. Do the plates stay on a used car in Texas when you buy or sell one?
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

AS far as plates go each state is different. Check your local DMV soon.