• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Selling vehicles private sale

junkjohn

Watch This!!!
I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my day, but today I sold one to a guy who offered more than I was asking, and said he would be right over with a trailer and cash. He gave me cash I signed the title over to him. When I went out to his truck he did not have a trailer. That's when he told me he would send someone next week to pick it up. I am wondering if there is some way I get bit in the ass on this deal with him having the title and me still having the vehicle?

That story makes no sense. Why did he offer more than the asking price? He said he was coming with a trailer. He didn't.

What is the vehicle? Maybe he just needs a title??

Is the cash counterfeit? :scratch

Cash=green folding money, so if that’s what you received then the first question is whether the bills are real or counterfeit. That’s fairly easy to check and a bank or credit union can help if you are unsure.

Best,
DeVern

It is a 1967 Cougar that needs work and I got a lot of calls all day. It wasn't until he was driving away that I started thinking he might just want the title. And how long do I store his car now? I never bought something and left it there.

Flipper.

He has a buyer on the line for the car, quite possibly an online sale, and he needs something as proof of ownership before closing the deal—titles are easier to deal with than physical property. Were I a betting man, I’d suspect you’ll get a phone call from a shipper arranging pickup for a buyer’s name different than the chap you dealt with.

So long as the bills aren’t fake you will be ok, but I’d be getting video and paper documentation on events from here on out.

My $0.02.

Best,
DeVern

Not sure how Mass DOT handles title transfers, but here is how it is in Pa. as long as the Pa. title is in your name, “ownership” remains with that person. That means that liability is on the person who’s name is on the title. If Mass. has a similar system, I would make all attempts to transfer the title, out of your name, ASAP. I also agree that you should ascertain that the $$ is not counterfeit.

I have a friend with a quickie mart and his magic pen says the money is real. We checked every bill last night. Money looks good. Thanks for the info, on flipping it. I would have never thought of that.

In Mass. you sign the title over and when they Register it they get a new title after paying the sales tax.

If he is flipping it, then he is using your property as storage space to make/save money in a business deal. Think of what your response would be if a stranger approached you about storing a vehicle on your property for free while he completed a business deal to sell it. You could notify him that after a specific date you will begin charging him a daily storage fee for every day his car is on your property, and after 30 days you will have th car removed to a salvage yard.. You could find out what the local towing companies charge for storing towed vehicles and use that as a guideline for what to charge. Now all of this could cause more trouble than it is worth, but it is one way to get him to remove the car sooner rather than later.

Just to expand on Walsh's post - in California, there is another form when a vehicle is sold, called the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. It should be filed within 5 days of the sale, because it notifies the DMV that ownership has changed.

Just to expand on Walsh's post - in California, there is another form when a vehicle is sold, called the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. It should be filed within 5 days of the sale, because it notifies the DMV that ownership has changed.

Texas has the same thing.

That would be a better way to do it. Do the plates stay on a used car in Texas when you buy or sell one?

Plates in Texas? They do not transfer to a new registration. As far as I can tell there is no rebate from the state for unused months on a registration when a vehicle is sold. So some folks leave the plates on; others take them off. If a good friend bought a vehicle from me I would leave the plate on until they could got home and took the plate off. Strangers get no such luck.

Texas has some form of "in transit" paper tag. I have never bothered to worry about it. I bought a vehicle in Florida and drove it home. We got stopped in Biloxi, MS because there was no tag on the vehicle. I showed the officer the signed title and he was OK. He did want to see proof of insurance which we had our agent email to us.

I traded in a 2004 1150RT a few year ago (out of state dealer) and neglected to take the plate off. The dealer sold the bike, evidently with the plate still on it and then I started getting toll road charges out of Colorado. It all got corrected after I contacted the new buyer. We discovered each other via this forum, believe it or not. :lol

I take my own plates off now.

Back