• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Always double check

alancolon

Wanted to order the BMW 49L topbox for the new (to me) RT. Went to the dealer a couple weeks ago and tried to put my 2xl Neotec2 in, no dice. Even with the carpet out, it was about 3/4in from closing. Dangit. I really wanted the power-locking topbox. Guess it's the Shad 58L instead....

Well, it occurred to me to try my Neotec 1. Off to the dealer today, and surprise, it fits! Now off to the internet to order a factory color-matched unit. Under $1000, new, shipped from Europe.
I can't believe BMW USA wants $1400!

Did you price out the "full featured" 49L top box? Something like $1650 in 2018. I bought one from a discount BMW parts supply for much less.

Did you price out the "full featured" 49L top box? Something like $1650 in 2018. I bought one from a discount BMW parts supply for much less.

Yes (I'm pretty sure). The K1600GT/R1200RT box with flocking, carper, central locks, and the taillight provision.
Best US price I've seen is $1400, my dealer said they'd doing for $1450.

From Germany, factory painted (Mantego Blue), shipped to the US for $975, from a BMW distributor, warrantied.

Just my 2 cents worth not trying to start a flame war. You made two trips to the dealer and then ordered your case on line.

I get it, a couple of hundred dollars cheaper online than through the dealer, but several dealers have closed lately and I don't have a dealer within two hours of me. I bought a GS-911 from Ted Porter and do ALL of my own maintenance. I support my local Motorcycle shop and order/pickup spark plugs, oil filter and oil from them to just try to keep their doors open. They are also the only place within 30 miles that installs and balances tires although several places will order tires for me. I order a lot of thing's from MaxBMW and enjoy the M&Ms as I unpack things. I've bought a lot of used and new parts from Beemer Boneyard when I could of gotten parts from Amazon or eBay. I appreciate being able to use Max's website to figure out what part I need and order from them quite often. Beemer Boneyard kept my K1100LT going for the three years I owned it.

If we don't support local dealers they won't be here in 10 years. I also try to go out of my way to support businesses that support organizations that support me.

On another note I wear a 3XL helmet and it no where near fits in my 28L box on my RT because of the molded sub-floor in it.

Back