Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Road 5 tires on a RT-any experience?

Though not relevant regarding the PR5GT's on an RT, mine are wearing faster than my PR4GT's by a considerable margins on my 1200rs. Got 7500 out of the 4GT's and I've already lost 2/32's of the 7/32 new on the rear in just 1800 miles. Tells me I'll get maybe 5K on the set on the bike now. I'm okay with it because the dealer put them on as a bonus, no extra charge when I bought it.

I've got a set of Dunlop RS4's waiting to be installed just before my 4 state trip in late July. Reports of actual mileage on these RS4's from several on my bike report just over 10K on the rear. Even if the rear only gets 7500-8K it'll be a vast improvement over the 5GT's that I'm running presently
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I have only had my 5GT's for a few weeks and 500 miles on my 07RT and like the way they feel and grip. Yesterday while in for service I was told to watch the wear on the front as there are reports that they wear faster than the rear which would be quite unusual compared to the 4GT's.

Road 5 TP's

Quote Originally Posted by wemi View Post
    No scientific research or reasoning here. Just 50 years of running around on rubber things. Seems to work for me. I don't care abut solo or 2up with or without luggage. I just pump those things up and leave them alone. I let the suspension worry about the rest. As long as my TPMS shows 40+ I don"t look at them, save for a nail check before each ride (experience factor)
    10-4 - thank you

Safe travels

Tires and Oil

I guess speculation, and related experience with tires is similar to the oil threads. My first BMW was Bronze (shown below), a '12RT Camhead I bought used with 3,250 miles on it. After running around south Florida while I farkled it up over 4-5 months, maybe putting on 500-600 miles, I took off on a road trip to New England to visit my Mother. On the way back to Florida, on a bright sunny morning in Cumberland Gap, MD, as I turned out of the hotel parking lot, I looked down and had a yellow caution light. I wasn't sure what the little symbol meant so pulled into another parking lot, scrolled through the menu, and saw my rear tire pressure was 11psi. (remember, newbie BMW owner) luckily had the TPS system. I got off the bike and looked at both tires and was mortified to see the metal bands showing in the middle of the back tire. Got out my tire pump and fortunately, the BMW power socket still worked for tire pumps on the '12 RT and pumped up the rear tire. Meanwhile I checked for the closest moto dealer and found a Harley shop 2 miles down the road. I went there immediately, they'd just opened, and gave my rider on the road story. They didn't have the proper sized rear tire, but one size up but I was uncomfortable with that, handling wise, and the guy offered to call another dealer on the other side of town 5 miles away. They had a set of Shinko's the right size so I headed over there, and within a couple of hours from the time I pulled over and saw those metal bands, I was on the road with new tires, albeit single ply Shinkos. Lucky me. The TPS system helped save me from getting stuck on the road somewhere, and the local availability of the right sized tires, any brand, was fortunate.

When I bought the RT, my focus was solely on getting it set up for over the road touring, as I don't live where the bike will be stored. I was disgusted with myself for never even examining the tires for wear, DUH! I've been fortunate most of my life and here was another example of that.

Now, since that time, I carry a combo tire pressure/tread depth measuring tool, and religiously check pressures at the beginning of a trip, as well as tread depth. I keep a One Note maintenance file on every bike, and at the end of a trip before putting the bike up until the next trip, I record the tread depths, front and rear. Now, I've got a pretty good idea of how much tread I burn in relation to the mileage of any particular trip. Over the years I've managed to lighten my load, from in the beginning to everything including the kitchen sink to only what I actually use on a trip. The only extras are a small bag of essential tools to maybe save my ass on the road, a tire pump, and a 1st aid kit. Everything else is jettisoned if I haven't used it within 3 days of being on a trip. I'm noticing a marked difference in tread wear as the load has gotten lighter over the years. I don't camp much anymore, and that was 25lbs right there. I'm generally carrying about 45lbs plus myself.

New tires generally have a tread depth of 8/32nd's on the rear, and 5/32nd's on the front. Manufacturer's advice is the rear tire is finished at 2/32nd's, and the front tire at 1/32nd's. The tire is still performing to spec down to 2/32nd's and 1/32nd's respectively, but I assume degrades after that. If you like to enjoy the curves and centrifugal force, then it makes prudent sense to always have tires that are working at their best, since that is the only connection to the road, to traction, etc.

I guess all this brings us down to how far do we go to be as safe as we can? I've decided I'm not going anywhere on tires that have reached 2/32nd's, and I use the rear tire as my gauge, because the front does not wear as fast. I always replace both. I guess a case could be made for running the tires down closer to bare tread in the middle to save as few bucks as possible, and perhaps changing the front tire every other rear tire change, but over the life of a particular bike, how much does one really save, and at what risk?

I'm heading to the Rally on my new to me XR. I bought it last October and have yet to see it, stored in Gig Harbor, WA. I asked my friends to check the tread depth for me, and explained very carefully how to measure it, and I'm hoping they got it right and they came back with 3/32nd's rear and 1/32nd front, so I'll be replacing the tires before I head to Great Falls. Thing is too, a new set of tires feel so good on the road, the bike is eager to turn in on a curve, fun-fun!

Just my .02,

Scotty

georgeRun1.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    "Red" RT //"Blue" F850GSA//"Green" F850GS
    "Black" Virago//"Shred" S1000XR//"Snow" S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by kbnesbitt View Post
    I have been running Michelin Pilot 4s on my '15 RT since I bought it, but when I went to get new tires at the parts store, they had Road 5s in stock. The technician said that they have better grip and more resistance to squaring off when slab riding, but I thought I would ask the group. I haven't been around for a while, so need to get back to reading the forums more often!
    Yes I'm on my third set of Michelin Road5 GTs, excellent all around tire in heat ,cold ,wet and dry . My first set got 12.3K miles and the second set !!.5 moles. Mileage wise this is the best tire I have ever had on my RT. Also a quiet smooth ride compared to the PR4s I used to run which only averaged 9-10K miles before replacing. Unless they come up with something better I'll be sticking with the Road5s for good.

Scotty!!! Iím looking forward to seeing you again sir. Iíll have 8mm (measured them today) of tread on my tires when I leave for the rally... Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Terrain run flats on my Bimmer.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

A good tire thread like this is the perfect way to induce schizophrenia in one's mind.
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Quote Originally Posted by kbnesbitt View Post
    I have been running Michelin Pilot 4s on my '15 RT since I bought it, but when I went to get new tires at the parts store, they had Road 5s in stock. The technician said that they have better grip and more resistance to squaring off when slab riding, but I thought I would ask the group. I haven't been around for a while, so need to get back to reading the forums more often!
    I've used 4 sets of PR4GT...3 sets on an '05 RT and 1 set on my new '17 RT. They're wonderful but make noise when you turn. Going straight, no problem for me. They stick in corners wet and dry. I had a set with many thousand miles that still felt fine to ride...and that's why I like them. You can run a lot of straight-line miles and they still feel good, unlike many brands that get so square feeling that they either won't turn in or fall into the turn...ride the in-between at your peril.

I have a few hundred miles on P5GT. They're fine. Feel very similar to PR4GT. The tread is obviously different. I don't notice the noise as much. They're just about broken in now so I'm getting braver on them. They stick. Very much like the PR4GT in this way.

GET THE GT if you own an RT. They really last a lot longer. I don't know exactly why.
    2017 R1200RT; Carbon Black; all the goodies...no mods yet!
    -2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; 94K 6/2018.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; 20K 6/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new more expensive tire, they claim it has more or this or that, and its better then ever. Wear is constantly decreasing along with better mileage. One would think by now we would only need one set of tire and they would last a lifetime! It's all marketing smoke and mirrors to justify increased prices.
    Getting the "new tire" assures that you're actually getting new tires and not tires that have been sitting around several years before you buy them. This makes a difference to tire life and tire fun...and probably safety.
    2017 R1200RT; Carbon Black; all the goodies...no mods yet!
    -2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; 94K 6/2018.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; 20K 6/2018

Blog Entries

How old is that tire?

I have heard this a few times about getting a "new" tire as opposed to one that was manufactured a long time ago and has been sitting around waiting for a new owner. How exactly does one determine whether a tire is one or the other, is there a manufacturing date or code stamped on the carcass?
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    2017 R1200RT
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

All tires sold in the USA you have a stamp showing the week and year of manufacture. date-code-motorcycle-tyre.jpgThe rule I've heard is keep tires stored standing up not stacked and away from direct sunlight. Under 5 years is usually good. I order tires on-line, they are dropped shipped by the distributor, It's not uncommon to get tires that at 2 years old.