Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road 5 tires on a RT-any experience?

Road 5 tires on a RT-any experience?

I have been running Michelin Pilot 4s on my '15 RT since I bought it, but when I went to get new tires at the parts store, they had Road 5s in stock. The technician said that they have better grip and more resistance to squaring off when slab riding, but I thought I would ask the group. I haven't been around for a while, so need to get back to reading the forums more often!

Havenít used them, but the guy who owns the local shop (a former racer) swears by them. He rides a Concourse, not an RT, but itís about the same size. I will use them when I replace the tires on my RT, and will likely go with them when I replace the tires on my Triumph Street Triple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Getting a set of Road 5 GT's on my 07RT tomorrow just in time for the $50 Michelin rebate. I have run the PR4GT's for years and liked them a lot. This is my first set of 5's.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new more expensive tire, they claim it has more or this or that, and its better then ever. Wear is constantly decreasing along with better mileage. One would think by now we would only need one set of tire and they would last a lifetime! It's all marketing smoke and mirrors to justify increased prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new more expensive tire, they claim it has more or this or that, and its better then ever. Wear is constantly decreasing along with better mileage. One would think by now we would only need one set of tire and they would last a lifetime! It's all marketing smoke and mirrors to justify increased prices.
    Well there is some truth to that, no doubt. At the same time I certainly would not wish to install a Continental RB2 and K112 set on any of my motorcycles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I had Road 5s on my R1200RS and currently have Road 5 GTs on my R1250RT. The Road 5 is a great rain tire with excellent dry handling and braking. I would assume (only 2,000 interstate miles so far) the Road 5 GTs will be very similar. As it relates to how long they will last it seems like it will be similar to other tires I have had in the past.

In the past I also had Dunlop RS 111s on my sport touring bikes. Those tires lasted measurable longer, with less front tire cupping, than my other tires. In the dry I thought they handled very well with good braking but for me I did not "feel" comfortable on them in the rain.

Dunlop has a new RS IVs out that are supposed to have similar longevity but with better wet weather handling and some other improvements. As much as I like the Road 5s I may be tempted to look at the RS IVs in the future.

Roda 5 and Road 5 GTs

Quote Originally Posted by kbnesbitt View Post
    I have been running Michelin Pilot 4s on my '15 RT since I bought it, but when I went to get new tires at the parts store, they had Road 5s in stock. The technician said that they have better grip and more resistance to squaring off when slab riding, but I thought I would ask the group. I haven't been around for a while, so need to get back to reading the forums more often!
    I had a set of Road 5s on my 2005 R1200RT for about 8500 miles. I found that they did not last very long and grip on the front was a bit loose when going in a straight line. In the curves there was a lot of grip but the side walls wore fairly quickly. I replaced these with Road 5 GTs and these have been a lot better. I'm up to about 3K miles and they are holding up really well. The grip is much better as well. I have no problems in crosswinds and the front end doesn't wander when going straight.

Quote Originally Posted by kbnesbitt View Post
    put Road 5 GTs on my 2020 RT. 2000 miles, deadsmooth. Running 42 /40 lbs. Properly balanced. No issues.
    2020 R1250RT 719
    2013 F800GT
    2017 Goldwing Prowler RT Trike

Road 5 GT's

Quote Originally Posted by wemi View Post
    put Road 5 GTs on my 2020 RT. 2000 miles, deadsmooth. Running 42 /40 lbs. Properly balanced. No issues.
    wemi - may I ask how you came up with those pressures? Solo or 2 up?

thanks

Road 5ís didnít work for me on my Ď16 RT; heavy vibration and road noise. Grip and handling wasnít all that for me.

Dunlopís seem to be my go to tire now.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

I love the Road 5s on my 07 R1200RT. When I bought the bike a non-GT set of Road 5s was mounted with 4500 miles on them, those miles logged on a trip across the US so I figured I would run them out a couple thousand miles and replace with T31s, my go-to tire. I gave up on Michelins with the PR3s some years back and had very low expectations for the Road 5s. The horrid wear patterns and squishy vague turn-in of Pilot Road 1s, 2s and 3s made me pitch the last set pf PR3s half way through. I expected the same with R5s.

Instead I found the Road 5s unlike the Michelins of the past. Great grip and stable in the corners whether wet or dry. No scalloping or lumpy wear and reasonably quiet late in life. They wore smooth and symmetrical and went over 10,000 miles, the front wearing slightly faster than the rear. I bought a second set and ran them out over 10,000 miles (front 10,300, rear 13,250 miles). Now about 1/3 of the way through the third set. I run 38-40 F and 40-42 rear.
    Dave

GL1800
    R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Road 5ís didnít work for me on my Ď16 RT; heavy vibration and road noise. Grip and handling wasnít all that for me.

Dunlopís seem to be my go to tire now.
    +1
    Dunlop Roadsmart tyres work well for my Ď16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by kaileybutt View Post
    wemi - may I ask how you came up with those pressures? Solo or 2 up?

thanks
    No scientific research or reasoning here. Just 50 years of running around on rubber things. Seems to work for me. I don't care abut solo or 2up with or without luggage. I just pump those things up and leave them alone. I let the suspension worry about the rest. As long as my TPMS shows 40+ I don"t look at them, save for a nail check before each ride (experience factor)
    2020 R1250RT 719
    2013 F800GT
    2017 Goldwing Prowler RT Trike

Iíve been running the road 5 GTs on my Ď19 1250rt since 6k miles to nearly 30k miles now. I just plan on replacing them every 6k miles when I get my bike serviced. Itís easier than taking my bike in between servicings. I ride very aggressively and Iím always glad to have new tires on my RT. Iíve had nothing but a great experience with these tires. If I can figure out how to post photos, this is a road 5 GT rear tire with nearly 7k miles after an approx 6,500 miles ride through Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico mountains and twisties. The vast majority of these miles were putting the bike under extreme duress with constant acceleration, braking, and hard leaning at what I would describe as very high speeds. I donít typically run my tires to this point, but my trip got extended and I didnít have a lot of choice but to press on the last few hundred miles (being very gentle) after threads started showing. The great majority of the 7k-ish miles included a lot of luggage for a multi week trip. 1F26DF9B-3A06-4B35-940E-90BBFA6C6911.jpeg6E9D83FD-1216-4A62-8F4A-C612A56A512B.jpeg
    2019 R 1250 RT

I'm not a fan of the PR5, yet liked prev gens. On my 18 RT, they followed roads groves viscously, and the profile yields larger radius at max lean. I'll stick with PR4's or Pirelli Angel GT's.
    Greg North - General Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.