• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road 5 tires on a RT-any experience?

Scotty!!! I’m looking forward to seeing you again sir. I’ll have 8mm (measured them today) of tread on my tires when I leave for the rally... Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Terrain run flats on my Bimmer.

I have been running Michelin Pilot 4s on my '15 RT since I bought it, but when I went to get new tires at the parts store, they had Road 5s in stock. The technician said that they have better grip and more resistance to squaring off when slab riding, but I thought I would ask the group. I haven't been around for a while, so need to get back to reading the forums more often!

I've used 4 sets of PR4GT...3 sets on an '05 RT and 1 set on my new '17 RT. They're wonderful but make noise when you turn. Going straight, no problem for me. They stick in corners wet and dry. I had a set with many thousand miles that still felt fine to ride...and that's why I like them. You can run a lot of straight-line miles and they still feel good, unlike many brands that get so square feeling that they either won't turn in or fall into the turn...ride the in-between at your peril.

I have a few hundred miles on P5GT. They're fine. Feel very similar to PR4GT. The tread is obviously different. I don't notice the noise as much. They're just about broken in now so I'm getting braver on them. They stick. Very much like the PR4GT in this way.

GET THE GT if you own an RT. They really last a lot longer. I don't know exactly why.

Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new more expensive tire, they claim it has more or this or that, and its better then ever. Wear is constantly decreasing along with better mileage. One would think by now we would only need one set of tire and they would last a lifetime! It's all marketing smoke and mirrors to justify increased prices.

Getting the "new tire" assures that you're actually getting new tires and not tires that have been sitting around several years before you buy them. This makes a difference to tire life and tire fun...and probably safety.

How old is that tire?

I have heard this a few times about getting a "new" tire as opposed to one that was manufactured a long time ago and has been sitting around waiting for a new owner. How exactly does one determine whether a tire is one or the other, is there a manufacturing date or code stamped on the carcass?

All tires sold in the USA you have a stamp showing the week and year of manufacture. date-code-motorcycle-tyre.jpgThe rule I've heard is keep tires stored standing up not stacked and away from direct sunlight. Under 5 years is usually good. I order tires on-line, they are dropped shipped by the distributor, It's not uncommon to get tires that at 2 years old.

Back