• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best years with less issues on the K1600GT/GTL?

brownie0486

Put this in the motorrad section with no responses, so lets try here where it belongs

Thinking of grabbing a K1600 as a second bike for touring.

Many years have had various issues, which years had less or no issues over others? Looking for members knowledge of this model

On the K1600FB page, I'm getting 2011, 2012's seem to be more reliable, and other consensus is 2016/2017 have improvements over earlier versions but after 2017, it's mostly cosmetic changes.

thanks

Last edited:
Get the newest one that’s in your budget range. 2014 up most of the bugs were worked out of big K. I had a 2013 and the only problem I had was the switch cluster which BMW took care of. Starting in 2017 BMW started to make some improvements.I how have a 2018 . It has some body work changes ,hill hold, reverse & shift assist which is really slick. The 18+ BMW remapped the throttle response which some hate. You can spend $700 to retune it if you want. I can live the standard throttle. The 2011/2012 had some teething problems and a few had broken rings.I would go with 14 and up. There are some good deals on pre-owned K’s. Look on the K1600 forum as there is a lot more info on that site. Great bike to ride and tour on. Good luck!

Hands down, the '16 is the best year followed closely by the '15. The '17 and newer have a detuned throttle. Low mileage '16 are going for $13-$14k.

Duane

Just bought 2016

Duane,

I just bought a 2016 K1600GTL Exclusive with 9k miles. I am looking forward to breaking it in and chewing up some twisty roads.
Mike

Hands down, the '16 is the best year followed closely by the '15. The '17 and newer have a detuned throttle. Low mileage '16 are going for $13-$14k.

Duane

You bought the best year. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I enjoy my 2014.

John,
I am looking to buy an older R1200GSA. You said 2016 was the best year for my 2016gte. Where would I start for a GS Adventure?
Cheers,
Mike
2016 K1600GTE, 2005 K1200LTE, 1999 Honda Shadow ACE Touring, Suzuki 650

John,
I am looking to buy an older R1200GSA. You said 2016 was the best year for my 2016gte. Where would I start for a GS Adventure?
Cheers,
Mike
2016 K1600GTE, 2005 K1200LTE, 1999 Honda Shadow ACE Touring, Suzuki 650

I'm certainly not up to speed on the GSA bikes. I owned a 2013 GSA but so much has changed since then.
Post the question in the proper section, you'll get plenty of advice.

Back