• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hi Y'all! New guy from Charleston, SC

escohal

Been an MOA member for awhile, but have been pretty lazy about introducing myself here.
Got myself a '16 R1200 GSA in Dec '16.
Been having a blast on it!
Learned how to ride on dirt bikes, then gradually moved to big ADV bikes by way of smaller dual sports.
My typically riding is around Charleston, but when time allows I love heading to the NC/GA mountains with the camping gear.
But hotel stays are becoming more appealing as the ground seems to keep getting harder and harder to sleep-on.
Generally I'm trying to find areas that aren't too crowded, including the campgrounds.
Anywho, glad I found this forum and look forward to meeting some of you guys soon!
-Hal

Welcome from the coast of Kansas. Glad to have you join us. Lots of great riding all over this wonderful wilderness, as the early pioneers called it. Most of the places I recommend are a bit further west of you ... I find most areas east of the Big River a bit too crowded for my tastes these days.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Welcome from the Virginia Blue Ridge. My wife and I were in Charleston last March, right after the Amelia Island Concours and before the fecal matter we know as COVID hit the rotting ventilator. It's one of our favorite cities and we almost moved down the road from you to Beaufort a couple of years ago.

Welcome escohal from just south of the ATL! A pic or two of your pride and joy is always appreciated.

Thanks everyone! I'll figure out the photo posting next and add one of the bike.
Decided this AM to head out in the AM to resume my latest mini-adventure.
(Really just another reason to ride of course.)
Going to try to visit all 46 SC county courthouses and museums before summer sets in.
I've got 2 in the bag so far and hope to add 7 or so more over the next day and a half.
Wish me luck!

IMG_1407.jpg
Here's my bike on a short trip up to McClellanville, SC, just north of Charleston.
This little village was nearly wiped out by Hurricane Hugo on 9/21/89 when a 19' tidal surge swept over it.
They've come back nicely!

I thought I'd respond again to my own thread just to juice-up the South Carolina connections this morning!:)

I got stuck on a ferry for 36 hours on the tail end of Hurricane Hugo.

I was locked up tight in my Ranger Battalion barracks on Hunter Army Airfield. We found a gas station open the day prior and got a case of beer, hunkered down for the worst, expected to hit Savannah, turned right at the last minute and hit South Carolina. Years later in a bar I talked to a guy that was still homeless from that storm.

Yup, Hugo was the real deal.
I spent it hunkered down with my wife and 1 year old son, listening to the wind howling and pine trees crashing down around us.

Back