• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

YSS shock has slight offset top and bottom - '88 R100RT

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
Hey all - I bought a YSS shock to replace the old shock (a twenty-year-old Works) on a '88 R100RT that I bought a few months ago. The YSS has a slight offset top and bottom and I'm wondering if this will be a problem down the road.

I bought the YSS from Ted Porter's Beemer shop, and he shipped it to me. When I sent Ted these pics, he emailed back that he thought the OEM shock is mounted outside the frame on a '88 RT, but he didn't have a mono shock RT in his shop to confirm. I didn't take pics of the Works shock before I removed it, but I'm pretty sure that it was mounted inside the frame.

Anyone with a mono shock RT confirm the installation/location of the shock, either OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-1651 Top small.jpg
    IMG-1651 Top small.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-1652 Bottom small.jpg
    IMG-1652 Bottom small.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 53
That angle can't be good long term. Seems like it would make more sense if the top was outside the frame. As for pictures, I could only track down a few representative ones that might help. Does your bike have the side cover with the bulge in it? That bulge is there to mold around the upper part of the shock. How does yours fit in that area?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...-my-airheads&p=1023177&viewfull=1#post1023177

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/BMW R100RT 1995 Classic Color 710 - Rebuild Oct 2006.jpg

Hi Kurt - you are correct, of course. The right-side RT body panel has a scoop to allow room for the top of the shock. And, when I had the shock inside the frame it would have made it impossible to get the battery in or out. I must've been disremembering how the old shock was mounted.

I moved the top mount of the YSS to the outside of the frame and it looks a lot straighter now.

Thanks for the assist.

Back