Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 1999 K1200rs ABS problem

  1. #1

    1999 K1200rs ABS problem

    My new neighbor has a '99 K1200RS with an ABS problem. He suspects that the brakes weren't bled properly, and created a problem. He saw me working on my bikes in the garage, and came over to ask me if I could fix it or to recommend a BMW shop in the area that could fix the problem. I know next to nothing about K-bike ABS systems or the proper bleeding procedures, much less how to fix them. I'd like to help him out, and fix it, if possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,546
    Welcome to the forum.
    If the ABS unit needs to be rebuilt here's a outfit who can do it.

    https://modulemaster.com/products/ab...rcycle-rebuild

    Try bleeding the brakes first. The 99 does not have Servo Brakes.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteele View Post
    My new neighbor has a '99 K1200RS with an ABS problem. He suspects that the brakes weren't bled properly, and created a problem. He saw me working on my bikes in the garage, and came over to ask me if I could fix it or to recommend a BMW shop in the area that could fix the problem. I know next to nothing about K-bike ABS systems or the proper bleeding procedures, much less how to fix them. I'd like to help him out, and fix it, if possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    What kind of ABS problem? Does he suspect the ABS is not working, or is he getting some warning lights? Thanks.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,546
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    What kind of ABS problem? Does he suspect the ABS is not working, or is he getting some warning lights? Thanks.
    Good question, he may not understand the normal ABS dash lights.
    The easy test is to ride across the lawn and try to lock the back brake.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Good question, he may not understand the normal ABS dash lights.
    The easy test is to ride across the lawn and try to lock the back brake.
    I know you can get a brake warning if either of the brake master cylinders are low (the wheel circuit side) such as can happen as brake pads wear. And you get a warning if the rear tail light filament burns out. In that case, there's a dash warning light, and the bike illuminated the rear brake filament at reduced voltage to simulate the tail light until you get it replaced. Clever.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  6. #6
    I believe the rear brake isn't working due to someone not bleeding the brakes properly. I'll try to look at it later this weekend, and try to get more details. Thanks, guys!

  7. #7

    More details...

    I spoke with my neighbor yesterday. He had the bike serviced at a shop, and the tech failed to top off the rear brake fluid reservoir after bleeding the rear brake. Subsequently, the rear brake was applied and caused the problem. There is no rear brake actuation when the brake is applied. He believes this has caused a problem with the ABS unit, and is wondering if/how to fix it. He also mentioned that there is some kind of switch or valve that may have been actuated and needs to somehow be unactuated. He also said that the front brake is working fine. Sorry, guys. I've always performed my own bike maintenance, but I'm a complete novice at ABS.

  8. #8
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,546
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteele View Post
    I spoke with my neighbor yesterday. He had the bike serviced at a shop, and the tech failed to top off the rear brake fluid reservoir after bleeding the rear brake. Subsequently, the rear brake was applied and caused the problem. There is no rear brake actuation when the brake is applied. He believes this has caused a problem with the ABS unit, and is wondering if/how to fix it. He also mentioned that there is some kind of switch or valve that may have been actuated and needs to somehow be unactuated. He also said that the front brake is working fine. Sorry, guys. I've always performed my own bike maintenance, but I'm a complete novice at ABS.
    If it was me I would take it back to that shop and have them rebleed the back brake.
    It probably has air in the line now.

    You can bleed the rear brake just like you do on a non ABS bike.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM
  2. 1999 k1200rs - making strange noise
    By brprider679 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 04:37 AM
  3. K1200RS around 1999 -- measurement
    By 70816 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •