• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What kind of tracking system are y’all using in case of Bike theft ?

72r60/7

What are you folks using nowadays to track your bike in case of theft. I’m interested in basic systems but whatever you’re using and/or have experience with will do fine.
Mostly curious but may need such a thing in the future.

Charlie

What are you folks using nowadays to track your bike in case of theft. I’m interested in basic systems but whatever you’re using and/or have experience with will do fine.
Mostly curious but may need such a thing in the future.

Charlie

I would call the Sheriff and my insurance company. I never had a bike stolen but had a car stolen in Iowa in 1966 and a truck stolen in Texas in 2017.

There is near zero chance one of our bikes will be stolen out of our shop, but if one is stolen I’m not sure I would want it back. Unlike Paul, I would call my insurance company and then the sheriff.

There are a number of satellite devices out there, one I know is the SPOT trace but I know there are others. I'm sure the guy who just lost his GS wishes he's had one.

Tracking devices

Back on topic.

What is available for vehicle tracking (motorcycles, trailers etc.); if there are any ?

Seems like back years ago when I could afford British “BIKE” magazine there were a couple of ‘chip’ like trackers for not a lot of money.

Charlie

In my opinion, Monimoto succeeded because they gave VERY high referral cash to YouTubers. If I remember correctly, it was 10%+ back for every unit those YouTubers sold it worked very well. I'm not saying it's a bad product, I just don't like that kind of marketing.

---

I use https://www.rever.co/labs/rlink

I've had 2 of these in use for 3 years and they work exceptionally well. It comes with Rever Pro, lets me know via Text or push notification if the bike moves or is started and it works even if the bike's battery is unplugged. It uses 4G LTE networks and when I finish a ride, I can export the GPX files to my computer OR to REver's website to share with friends.

No more tracking rides, it does it for me. It tracks up to 30 days of rides before you push it up to Rever or download to your computer.

I don't like devices that only serve one purpose. Paying money just for theft prevention / detection? That's what insurance is for but if the device adds daily value to my life such as auto capturing GPX files, its a much higher value to me.

Some additional info on the monimoto tracking system:

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IxMwVwqFJis" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Tracking

Just heard that Apple is working on an APP to find (track) personal items in or around your home.

Can tracking of other personable items (cars, bikes, trailers etc.) be far behind ? With a receiver in Cars etc., it may slow thefts, carjackings etc. and retrieve some vehicles. Though “Big Daddy” can already track you,
they may make it mandatory for vehicles one day.

With the existing ”Find Me” feature on my Apple products, I may use an old IPad hidden on/in something I’d like to track. Not sure the range on that feature though. Sure is a relief to find out that your phone you used 6 hrs ago is around your home/yard/shop rather than in the grocery store or the parking lot there.

Just wandering thoughts derived from fleeting pieces of info that happen when you have your
helmet on. And rolling too.

Charlie

Just heard that Apple is working on an APP to find (track) personal items in or around your home.

Can tracking of other personable items (cars, bikes, trailers etc.) be far behind ? With a receiver in Cars etc., it may slow thefts, carjackings etc. and retrieve some vehicles. Though “Big Daddy” can already track you,
they may make it mandatory for vehicles one day.

With the existing ”Find Me” feature on my Apple products, I may use an old IPad hidden on/in something I’d like to track. Not sure the range on that feature though. Sure is a relief to find out that your phone you used 6 hrs ago is around your home/yard/shop rather than in the grocery store or the parking lot there.

Just wandering thoughts derived from fleeting pieces of info that happen when you have your
helmet on. And rolling too.

Charlie

According to the below, findmyphone uses both GPS AND bluetooth, depending on distance...so the "range" would appear to be worldwide...give ot take a country:

Apple uses several different location technologies to track the position of a device to within a few meters. GPS, short for global positioning system, is unsurprisingly at the top of the list. GPS chips signal a receiver that calculates the device’s distance from three or more U.S. satellites. But this isn’t always an easy task, so the iPhone uses what’s call AGPS, or “assisted GPS.” Using cell tower data, an iPhone can store the location of satellites and acquire a signal faster. It can even provide location information when GPS isn’t available by using crowdsourced Wi-Fi access points and cell tower triangulation.

“If Location Services is on, your iPhone will periodically send Apple the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cellular towers in an anonymous and encrypted form,” Apple states on its website. “This information is used for augmenting this crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cellular tower locations.”

Additionally, the iPhone uses Bluetooth for more accurate tracking indoors when GPS is unreliable or unavailable. If you own wireless audio products, you’re probably already familiar with the standard. Bluetooth devices send out a signal and can, therefore, track paired gadgets moving in and out of range.

Back