Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R90S Breather Valve

I guess we have different dipsticks. Anton indicates that your '74 has a different one than my '78. Indeed, the distance from the underside of the threads to the full mark is 260mm for me. Last time I filled, I put in the 2 liters and went on my way. I just checked and I'm maybe 1/4 to 1/3 down the stick from the full mark. Maybe that's the filter amount called out. But I've never bothered to top it off. It's been said here on the forum that Airheads don't like running with oil at the full mark. Typically what happens is the additives and other misting tends to burn off some amount and the engine settles in to it's "happy" spot. Maybe that's where my bike is at. Hopefully you will find a happy medium as well!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I guess we have different dipsticks. Anton indicates that your '74 has a different one than my '78. Indeed, the distance from the underside of the threads to the full mark is 260mm for me. Last time I filled, I put in the 2 liters and went on my way. I just checked and I'm maybe 1/4 to 1/3 down the stick from the full mark. Maybe that's the filter amount called out. But I've never bothered to top it off. It's been said here on the forum that Airheads don't like running with oil at the full mark. Typically what happens is the additives and other misting tends to burn off some amount and the engine settles in to it's "happy" spot. Maybe that's where my bike is at. Hopefully you will find a happy medium as well!
    Thanks Steve for sharing that measurement. I'll report back what I find. Can't do it today though. It's snowing here in southern MI.

RPGR90s

Breather Valve

After draining and re-filling the crankcase on my R90s with just 2 liters of oil, the turkey gobble noise is totally gone at idle.

I had been overfilling it. I'll use 2 liters as my new capacity.

Thanks everyone.

RPGR90s

Nice report! Go forth and do good!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!