• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

old? gas in bottom of air filter housing. 2000 R1100S

mntngrown

I have been pulling parts off to get to the battery as the battery light went on and gonna put my new struts in anyway when they get here. I had to remove the air inlet housing to get at the battery, and while there, I pulled the air filter out thinking I would replace it. I looked down in the housing leading to the fuel injection and saw what looked like gummy gas and smelled same. Then I looked at the lowest point ad saw some pooling of same. I looked at the outside of this closed air box and saw what looks like nipples closed off by rubber or plastic boots with plier pinch hose clamps holding those in place. Is this normal so one can drain a normal back wash of fuel residue? Is this a place where a prior owner removed something and plugged the drains/vents? Here is a pic of the clamp over the rubber or plastic plug. Thanks.IMG_2044.jpg

Usually when I see this setup, the residue is glop (technical term) from the crankcase ventilation system. It surely can smell like “old gas” and have a oily consistency. I don’t know the specifics of your bike but have see this many times.
OM

The crankcase breathers are routinely routed into the air box....emissions doncha know. Chances are the residue you see is what didn’t get sucked back into the engine for “recycling”. Probably only have to swab the air box out and wait until it happens again.
OM

Natural occurrence. Happens more often when one has over-filled the oil. Remove clamp, remove cap, drain oil. Good practice to do every oil change.

Back