• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

service schedule . . .

ilducemassimo

I've checked the manuals & I've searched a fair amount prior to asking this question without any success: what is the service schedule specifically for a '19 GSA? I'm at almost 10k and just got a message telling me that I'm past due for a service, to go see a shop immediately . . . I was under the impression the first valve adjustment was @ 12,000 miles, oil has been changed by dealer a couple of times already . . . but I do not seem to be able to find a list indicating what is due at which point . . . 🤷*♂️

I've checked the manuals & I've searched a fair amount prior to asking this question without any success: what is the service schedule specifically for a '19 GSA? I'm at almost 10k and just got a message telling me that I'm past due for a service, to go see a shop immediately . . . I was under the impression the first valve adjustment was @ 12,000 miles, oil has been changed by dealer a couple of times already . . . but I do not seem to be able to find a list indicating what is due at which point . . . ��*♂️

Services are on a 6,000 mile schedule and you are correct that a valve check is due at 12,000. I suspect the dealer who sent you the notice is more interested in drumming up business than taking care of your bike. They probably send out such notices just based on time.

Maintenance schedules are available online. I know Sierra BMW has them on their website. There are 6k and 12k schedules as well as annual schedules.

EDIT: Try this- https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules#shift-cam

Services are on a 6,000 mile schedule and you are correct that a valve check is due at 12,000. I suspect the dealer who sent you the notice is more interested in drumming up business than taking care of your bike. They probably send out such notices just based on time.

Maintenance schedules are available online. I know Sierra BMW has them on their website. There are 6k and 12k schedules as well as annual schedules.

EDIT: Try this- https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules#shift-cam

I didn't get a note from my dealer, the message is on the dashboard of my GS . . . I did the 6k and was preparing for the 12k, I imagine the message I'm getting is based on the time (annual schedule) . . . well, she's getting the oil changed and checked out anyways, just to make sure there's no surprises . . . thank you for the link, going to read up on that for sure!

I didn't get a note from my dealer, the message is on the dashboard of my GS . . . I did the 6k and was preparing for the 12k, I imagine the message I'm getting is based on the time (annual schedule) . . . well, she's getting the oil changed and checked out anyways, just to make sure there's no surprises . . . thank you for the link, going to read up on that for sure!

I expect ak meant that the dealer programmed the bike to tell alert for the next service at 10k miles when they did the previous service. At least on of the KTM's I've had allow the tech to set the service interval.

seems silly then if I take the bike to shop now just for an oil change and again in a couple thousand miles for a valve adjustment . . .

seems silly then if I take the bike to shop now just for an oil change and again in a couple thousand miles for a valve adjustment . . .

If it's a long trip to the dealer maybe do the valve check early.
It does not take long for a valve check.

If it's a long trip to the dealer maybe do the valve check early.
It does not take long for a valve check.

don't have an official dealer anywhere near, going to utilize services from a much smaller but recommended source locally. Decided to just wait another couple thousand miles and do valve check/oil change all together. If I'd have paid closer attention to service schedule, this would not even have been a topic . . .

Decided to just wait another couple thousand miles and do valve check/oil change all together. If I'd have paid closer attention to service schedule, this would not even have been a topic . . .
I don't service our bikes at 6,000, 12,000 and 18,000 miles exactly.
Some items I do sooner and some I go longer.

don't have an official dealer anywhere near, going to utilize services from a much smaller but recommended source locally. Decided to just wait another couple thousand miles and do valve check/oil change all together. If I'd have paid closer attention to service schedule, this would not even have been a topic . . .

Since it's been a year or more since your last service and you are at 10k I'd do a 12k service now. Then do a 6k either at 6k miles or 12 months which ever comes first.

A reset of the service reminder is set both for 6000 miles and a year. Then whichever comes first, time or miles, will set of the reminder and service is due.
FWIW oil ought to be changed at 12 months anyway regardless of miles driven. YMMV

based on most comments, I might as well get that oil changed. Seems to be rather straight forward based on what I've found. What are the best spots to source oil & filter?

FWIW, I did my first valve check at just under 10k miles. And I found a few valves out of range, and also that the cams were not properly synched. Since then, I put another 12k miles on the bike, and found that the cams are staying in perfect synch, but that one of my exhaust valves was out of range.

So, my point is that there can be a benefit to checking the valves early. However, if you are not using a dealer, your shop will need to have the special tooling for synching and adjusting the 1250.

based on most comments, I might as well get that oil changed. Seems to be rather straight forward based on what I've found. What are the best spots to source oil & filter?

Since you don't have a dealer close by BeemerBoneyard is a good vendor to buy from. They give MOA members a 10% discount.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/

You can also buy Castrol 5w-40 from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISDII/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like your way of thinking, bike is on schedule for 12k service, especially since I'm planning an off-road class in a few weeks. Peace of mind . . .

FWIW, I did my first valve check at just under 10k miles. And I found a few valves out of range, and also that the cams were not properly synched. Since then, I put another 12k miles on the bike, and found that the cams are staying in perfect synch, but that one of my exhaust valves was out of range.

So, my point is that there can be a benefit to checking the valves early. However, if you are not using a dealer, your shop will need to have the special tooling for synching and adjusting the 1250.

However, if you are not using a dealer, your shop will need to have the special tooling for synching and adjusting the 1250.

What would they synchronizing?
As for adjusting, I would be very surprised if the valves need adjusting with that low mileage and no special tools are needed to check the valves.
Our bikes have between 47,000 and 49,000 miles and the valves are still within spec.

One R12GSA with 46,000 miles and one R12GS with 36,000. Checked both this winter and one valve tightened 0.01mm from when I checked it at 600 miles. That valve is still well within spec. Lee’s and my experience is the norm on the LC engine.

Back