• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member, Vancouver Canada, F800GS

DamonYVR

riding in circles
Hi All,

New BMW owner and new MOA member. I've just moved from a 2017 V-Strom 650 to a 2017 F800GS. Low miles and hopefully in good shape! I've been riding for quite a few years, but I'm a leisurely rider generally. I love to take trips on the bike and I'm really hoping 2021 lets us get out and about more.

I'm 62, quit work last year, and I can't imagine how I ever had the time to work. Even as my own boss. Vote left, dress right, play bass, play flight sims, drink wine, and I like to cook and travel.

I would be very happy to meet other riders, and learn from them about this new machine; BMW seems to be it's own language and I've got a lot to learn. The bike has Touratech engine bars, an SW Motec skid plate, and Vario bags. I like them but I'll have to see what I can do to mount soft bags as well. The seat is the factory low seat, and I can tell that my butt will be giving some instructions on improving that in short order.

Here's a pic of me and the bike, but I'm sure I look much younger than the dummy in the photo.

Cheers.

IMG_8247.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
I see you are riding one of the “cool” bikes :D
See you in F-Twins.
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I'm glad I managed to make onto one of the 'cool' bikes, as I need all the help I can get.

Welcome from another Canadian and former F800GS owner. I had mine for ten years and loved it. Still on a parallel twin, just the next generation.

Welcome from Alberta... take a look into the Beecee Beemers.com website. They are based in the lower mainland and while BC is in lockdown it appears there is still some virtual activity for monthly meetings etc. You may be able to link up with some like minded riders there.

Hallo Damon! Welcome to the BMW world & the MOA forum!

Loved my F800GS for about 110K mi covering the entire lower 48... Hope you'll eventually take that piece of Bavarian engineering Off-Road! Never seen such a clean GS! It's a Schweeet machine you've acquired - not designed to be That Clean! OMG - Jus Sayin!

Hope they let U come visit the MOA National in MT -- Hope "They" Let us ride north to Alaska!!! 🤔 🙄 It's not that promising at the moment...

Hope U enjoy that wonderful bike as it was designed... Watch out for the Stator failure after 50-60K! Apparently the OEM windings just cook themselves (there are better after-market windings)... Other than routine maintenance, the bike was very Memorable. We both took the BMW Off-road Training in Spartanburg. Very enlightening for a couple n00bs to the off-road community. WORTHWHILE THO!

We'd sure like to come visit (briefly) AL, BC, YT, NWT on our way to our 49th state....

Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Welcome from the Virginia Blue Ridge. The F800GS is a fun bike, my wife and I have rented them in the past and always enjoyed riding them.

Welcome to the club. Looking for riding Buddies? Check out. Bee Cee Beemers or, Valley BMW riders.

Wow, what great welcomes! I appreciate all of them. I certainly will be doing some light off road and I definitely want to get some trips in. Planning them already, in fact.

I've obtained a can bus to USB adaptor for the port by the key, and I now have a BluDriver scan tool. I need to reset the service light. Unfortunately I didn't get any service records, but the oil was changed by the dealer I bought it from. I think I'll do, or have done, the brake fluid and maybe the coolant next.

I'm also wondering about doing a tubeless rim conversion, but I'll ponder that before I change tires. The Anakee III's are showing squareness, but I'll put some more miles down before I do a swap.

I have joined Bee Bee Beemers as well, so I'll pester them with stupid questions too.

Standing offer of beer for any visitors... once we're able to have them.

Cheers all.

Back