• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pillion passenger insurance advice and questions?

westcoastkevin

Hi,
I will be carrying a pillion passenger this year. As a result, I have been learning more about insurance coverage. The person in question has their own business and does not have a typical employer sponsored health insurance plan.

Wanting to be proactive about things, I have gone ahead and upped the coverage I carry to the maximum I can get for bodily injury and such. (Progressive)

I still need to get in writing, if I even can, what the limits of the policy are from the perspective of the pillion passenger. Almost everything I read is light on this subject.

We are taking the MSF BR2 class this coming Sunday on the bike together. (I usually do some sort of refresher in the spring)
EDIT: I should add that I have about 1000 miles or so of pillion carrying experience on twisties already. The refresher is only $50 so it is a no brainer to take it.

My questions:
Is there any resource you can direct me to on this subject?
Is there any standalone insurance policy that a pillion passenger can purchase to protect themselves in the event of an accident?
Is there anything else I should know? I want to take this responsibility seriously.

Kevin

Last edited:
Kevin:

Your Progressive agent should be able to advise you on whether your coverage includes liability with respect to your pillion rider.

Your friend (and you) may want to get travel medical care coverage. I get coverage any time I'm going outside my home province.

Wow, I hadn't thought the your pillion would fall outside of your regular insurance. Adds a whole new can of worms! Good thing I almost never have one these days.

Wow, I hadn't thought the your pillion would fall outside of your regular insurance. Adds a whole new can of worms! Good thing I almost never have one these days.

Well, I have to think it would be covered under a typical third party liability coverage; on the other hand you may have to pay extra for it. But insurance is a complicated business, and the policies are difficult to read, let alone the differences in tort law from state to state (and province to province).

Back