• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RS change coolant

BILL WALLACE

I'm ready to change the 4 year old coolant.
Is there a video for the RS descriping the procedure of changing/filling cooling system? Thanks

I have my coolant, brake and clutch fluid changed by my dealer every two years, whether it needs it or not. Erring on the side of caution as it were

We all take care of our bikes the way that makes us feel good about owning a bike.

I bleed my brakes every 2 years. That is what is called out in the maintenance schedule.

Since coolant is made to be a lifetime coolant I have no worries on it and it is not called out on any scheduled service.

As to the mineral oil clutch I again see it as lifetime and again it is not called out in any scheduled service.

I did go to a BMW auto dealer here and bought a gallon off coolant and use a soda bottle and mix 4 oz with 4 oz of distilled water to top off the over flow tank. I think I may have used 2 or 3 oz of that mix over 3 years.

Curious as to what a dealer charges you for those three services?

Again not a knock but so many things are over changed and not run out to what the lifetime of the substance is.

Oil is a big one. If you do UOA from Blackstone I would suspect you would find your oil can run 7000-7500 miles and still be within spec. I know I found that out.

This is not your dads BMW as the tolerances are tight. 5W40 oil.

Lifetime coolant is 100,000 miles to me but as I said I will look around at 5 years or so.

As far as the clutch fluid since the bleed port is unreachable by any tool I have, I am gonna have to think hard on that one. It may pay just to do it by dilution. Open the cover suck it out with a turkey baster, wipe it clean, fill it and run it for a while, rinse and repeat. Very easy and close enough for me.

My problem is people attach emotions to a piece of metal. As long as it requirements are met it is "happy". It has no feelings only requirements to keep it well maintained.

I believe in and practice preventative maintenance on all my vehicles including cages. Just the way I've been for 40+ years. I have my dealer go through the bike before a long trip, in several instances, he found a potential problem and it was corrected before possibly leaving me stranded on the side of the road far from home. I'm too old to be walking.

No different than maintaining my firearms. New recoil springs every 4-5K rounds, clean it after every shooting session [ only the carry guns, the trainers can remain uncleaned as if they fail on the range, my life isn't hanging in the balance.

At one time, BMW stated final drive fluid was LIFETIME...but that changed. It appears BMW's LIFETIME labels are subject to change if and when they're found not to be.

While I agree some lifetime limits are not correct in my world, others are.

Coolant has been 100,000 miles in cars forever now. The coolant has changed so much over the years I BELIEVE in lifetime or 100,000 miles. It also needs disposed of and that is one of my issues with all fluids and over changing.

As I say IMHO 6000 miles is way early on 18 dollar a liter oil. Just spend the money and do a 6000 miles oil sample and see how it comes back. Then follow the recommendation and do it on the next change. I can push mine to 7500 but do not I try to do 6500-7000 as I fight with the "care" of the bike mentality. UOA will give you so much information on your oil it is so worth the cost. I think you can send coolant also but need to check Blackstone for sure.

Not a knock or anything but just a reminder to not be sheep or be tied to a dealers tit.

I am 64 and been driving since I was 15. Riding bike since I was 20 and spinning the wrench on everything I have owned other then recalls since I was 12 with my dad. We were not a dealer family and never have or will be. NO ONE will work on your bike or car like you will yourself.

We did 2500 miles oil changes on cars for 30 years or so. And Castrol GTX dino oil was our flavor. 10W40 Winter 20W50 Summer. Coolant we did every 2 years with brakes. And yes I still flush my car brakes at 2 years.

I keep stuff clean and waxed and maintained but have been educated out of my 1970's mentality on fluids and learned to trust the technology we are paying for in these fluids. I mean I use Liqui Moly in everything oil, and Bosch as my brake fluid. And like I say I went to a BMW car dealer and bought a gallon of antifreeze.

Again not a knock just want to use products to their end life as we pay dearly for these fluids.

I still would like to know how the dealer is changing your clutch fluid.

Very well said! I'm with you.

We all take care of our bikes the way that makes us feel good about owning a bike.

I bleed my brakes every 2 years. That is what is called out in the maintenance schedule.

No it's not! Flushing the brake fluid every 2 years is what's called for. People who don't know the difference between flushing and bleeding brakes probably shouldn't be posting about brake maintenance.

No it's not! Flushing the brake fluid every 2 years is what's called for. People who don't know the difference between flushing and bleeding brakes probably shouldn't be posting about brake maintenance.

For most people the terms are interchangeable whether that is semantically correct or not. Theoretically bleeding is just to remove air bubbles. It is, in my opinion, often impossible to properly bleed the system until new clear fluid arrives at the out-end. That makes sure any bubbles are swept away in the process. To me that is the same as flushing the brakes, defined as removing all the old fluid and replacing it with new fluid in the process.

As far as I'm concerned the two terms are properly a distinction without a difference and insulting another member's mechanical abilities on this Forum is not needed and unwelcome.

Coolant change 2020 GSA

I have owned 6 new BMW's over the years and those that had coolant got it change every 2 yrs. Its is simple process and costs very little because there is so little coolant. For the new wetheads there is a good procedure outlined in the Haynes manual. It can be messy but it is simple. take care of the torque values for the two drain bungs. the right and left side are different. You will have to replace the two crush washers for these bungs as well. Any 50/50 mix of coolant will work. I use Prestone because that is available where I live.

I am as anal as the come and asked my service manager and master tech about coolant. They both indicated that BMW says "lifetime" but indicated they are suggesting changing it every 4-5 years. I change my oil more frequent than manual recommends and all maintenance as well. My dealer knows how anal I am and if he tells me 4 to 5 years then that works for me.

Well, seeing how there have been some alternative theories posted, here is mine ;)

If the antifreeze is tested and found to protect down (up) to the temperatures recommended, it's still antifreeze. Past that, it's good to replenish the anti-corrosion qualities and a bit of lube for the water pump.

I use a product like this-

06d1e598-51dd-437c-abbf-796e942b738a_1.852e85865d15906869b7dd6a14900b29.jpeg

I use the "float type" antifreeze extractor to remove some of the AF and after a vigorous shake, top off will the additive.....good to go.

I'm old enough to remember the Preston radiator/engine flushing "T" kits that used to be sold and installed in the heater lines :eek

As above have mentioned, antifreeze has improved along with concerns to the environment. A lot of perfectly good antifreeze seems to be going to waste......unless one were to put in in their old tractor that doesn't have such a pampered life and lives in the field.

OM

Well, seeing how there have been some alternative theories posted, here is mine ;)

If the antifreeze is tested and found to protect down (up) to the temperatures recommended, it's still antifreeze. Past that, it's good to replenish the anti-corrosion qualities and a bit of lube for the water pump.

I use a product like this-

06d1e598-51dd-437c-abbf-796e942b738a_1.852e85865d15906869b7dd6a14900b29.jpeg

I use the "float type" antifreeze extractor to remove some of the AF and after a vigorous shake, top off will the additive.....good to go.

I'm old enough to remember the Preston radiator/engine flushing "T" kits that used to be sold and installed in the heater lines :eek

As above have mentioned, antifreeze has improved along with concerns to the environment. A lot of perfectly good antifreeze seems to be going to waste......unless one were to put in in their old tractor that doesn't have such a pampered life and lives in the field.

OM

I just do what works for me. I change anti-freeze in my 4 wheelers at recommended intervals or about every 2-3 years and now in my BMW motorcycles when the service manager and tech suggests which as stated is every 4-5 years. It has always worked for me.

Back