• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 R1250RT at Dealer

Well , photos of the 2021 RT on the BMW website show a new RT with an antenna. Maybe that photo is with a pre-production model?

Oops! I looked again. No antenna visible. My bad!

Last edited:
Going forward I hope BMW goes back to Brembo on other models.
Looking at MAX BMW I see one of the 2021 GS has Brembo.
I did not spot any 2021 S bikes with Brembo.

Going forward I hope BMW goes back to Brembo on other models.
Looking at MAX BMW I see one of the 2021 GS has Brembo.
I did not spot any 2021 S bikes with Brembo.

The accountants like low bidders. And they can hang costs on back Hayes just like they did with Getrag with the early R1100 transmissions. What the accountants can't quantify is the damage to the company reputation from these fiascos.

Pernicious cost accounting may win in the short term but solid engineering and quality control would win in the long term. If, of course, it's not too late.

Hum, sort of a panda bear look to me. Watched a youtube review on 2021 RT in blue which looked sweet. Do an Option 719 on the white with those black pin strip will help with that white color.

I am really liking the 10.5” TFT screen. Here is a nice review on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1mmLr4jXXw

Seems maybe BMW does a better job then Honda is doing on it’s current gen Goldwing. I own a 2019 dct wing and the screen is nice though have not done any map updates yet that I need to do so I can have Android on it.

Do you current owners of R1250r and I infer GS bikes like the left BMW Wheel interface used with the smaller TFT screens? Do you like the motorad phone app? If such is used on those models?

I know, think, on the new 2021 R1250RT you get the map function for free if you get one with nav. I like that fact, hate to have to pay for nav software subscription after purchase...which Honda will require after a few years as I recall.

Though if no nav is ordered with the bike can you still connect to your phone and display google maps else at least a ‘turn by turn’ by turn read out?

Yes, Blue color and 10.5 TFT might be calling my name. Might be hard to trade in the 2018 Goldwing 1800 DCT for a new bmw but not 100% out of the question. Do love that goldwing engine and the DCT 95% of the time. Just more storage on the bmw plus my first bike was a ‘71 r75/5 that I put over 200k miles on. An opposed twin feels like my ‘mother’ motorcycle in a way.

Though if no nav is ordered with the bike can you still connect to your phone and display google maps else at least a ‘turn by turn’ by turn read out?

Are you saying Nav with a map display is a extra cost option when you get the 10.5" TFT?

Are you saying Nav with a map display is a extra cost option when you get the 10.5" TFT?
I have not researched to that degree yet. I had thought in the past one could order a RT without nav. Just like one can on a r1250r though that model uses the old external Navi device.

I infer the new RT, which comes with a 10.5TFT can be ordered without Navi though could be wrong.

I had thought, even without have the navi, the TFT would allow ‘turn by turn’ instructions be shown on the screen, data coming form a smart phone that uses the motorad phone app. No displaying of google maps on the TFT.

I don’t believe bmw wants to ever interface with apple car play nor google maps. Seems they want to ‘own’ the data space so far what can be shown and used via their motorad phone app.

Could be mistaken on above though thought some of above is what I saw on a few youtube videos...don’t have those links to post as I don’t recall where I saw them prior.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the BMW Connect App will work with any of the newer TFT screen R bikes GS/GSA/R/RS/RT without having to buy the Nav package. I think the Nav package is the for the cradle and the wiring of the BMW Nav 6 GPS unit. Also the BMW Connect App works in Apple and Android and has free life time map updates. Of course we all know that "lifetime" and "lifetime" is not always the same and BMW's "lifetime stuff" has sometimes a limited life. LOL

I believe Bernie is correct about the Motorrad Connected App working with any BMW bike with a TFT display. However, I believe it's only the new RT, with that massive display, that has full navigation functionality via the phone app. Other bikes with the smaller TFT, the GS for example, have a much more limited navigation capability, in the way of turn arrows etc., but no map display. The latest GS (2021), and others, also still offer the factory GPS mount for the Navigator VI. I also don't believe that one has to pay extra to get the navigation function on the new RT.

Last edited:
Yes Mark you are correct. The small TFT screen on the GS will only have arrows and minor directions.
But you should be able to receive voice guidance from the BMW Connect App from your phone and your Bluetooth headset of your choice.
Besides almost 98% of all BMW riders have their phone mounted on their handle bar for messages, Google stuff, music and directions from different navigation apps.
They only thing missing is an extra screen for watching Netflix and Disney+.
;)

Do you think Bmw will change the GS unit to match the RT screen in the coming years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. GS riders love adventure and a GPS takes all the fun out of it.
Besides that big screen would be to big for a GS.

I don't know where the radio antenna is, but there is a 2021 alpine white RT in my garage, and I'm loving it. The TIF is bright and clear, nav system connects perfectly with my phone, looking forward to lots of miles and Great Falls at the end. I'm for one glad there is no radio, and no TPMS. Not missing them in the least.

I don't know where the radio antenna is, but there is a 2021 alpine white RT in my garage, and I'm loving it. The TIF is bright and clear, nav system connects perfectly with my phone, looking forward to lots of miles and Great Falls at the end. I'm for one glad there is no radio, and no TPMS. Not missing them in the least.

Without the TPMS will there be any warning signs that a tire is going down? I had a rear flat tire on my 2014 R 1200 RT and thanks to the systems in place I was able to get it stopped safely from 75 MPH while I still had air in the tire, although it was losing it fast.

Back