Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stolen 2021 BMW Rallye GSA - South Florida

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Here are a couple of vids about a tracker (thanks to one of my HD-ridin' friends); Cycle Gear sells them and others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHHemjSfJ9o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igLm_DsIcMk
    I suppose you could track the bike up until its loaded into the steel shipping container. The pros won't be out riding it.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Theft usually happens in a moment of opportunity (leaving the vehicle running when you run in to get a coffee), or calculated planning (the vehicle is highly desired so the theft is planned). In the case of a calculated theft, all that can really be hoped for is disrupting the “plan”.
    Disrupting the “plan” is possible but does add a level of complexity.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Easy solution. Don’t own anything worth stealing.
    Agreed. Parking a beautiful, fully loaded $30,000 motorcycle in an apartment parking deck seems pretty risky. I'm often amused to see pictures of the bike Matt Parkhouse takes to Mexico. It looks so ratty that apparently even the Mexicans won't bother stealing it. And he keeps that way on purpose. A lot of trips there, it always comes back.
    It may not have all the bells and whistles of a new GSA, but an old GS1100 with rattle can paint all over it and a seat cover that's falling apart would, I'll bet, sit in that garage forever. And it would probably run as far and long as the new GSA.

They still lock. You just press and hold the button till it clicks. I don’t think it would help in this case. Replacing the ring/button would have allowed the thieves (which are going straight to hell btw) to unlock it.

This was a planned hit. Reconnaissance was done and intel collected; meaning, there may be evidence, video evidence or telephonic evidence of that process. Somewhere in the days leading up to the complicated theft there is a trail to be observed.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    Agreed. Parking a beautiful, fully loaded $30,000 motorcycle in an apartment parking deck seems pretty risky. I'm often amused to see pictures of the bike Matt Parkhouse takes to Mexico. It looks so ratty that apparently even the Mexicans won't bother stealing it. And he keeps that way on purpose. A lot of trips there, it always comes back.
    It may not have all the bells and whistles of a new GSA, but an old GS1100 with rattle can paint all over it and a seat cover that's falling apart would, I'll bet, sit in that garage forever. And it would probably run as far and long as the new GSA.
    The best part about Matt's Mexico bike is if you've followed his articles over the years, you would know any of his bikes are likely mechanically perfect.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

If this ring button is a dealer part, couldn't sales of such items be traced in some way. I wouldn't expect it to be a high volume replacement item.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

I truly understand the discomfort and anger this theft causes - we came home one day after a trip in the car to find that our nearly new Chevrolet Avalanche had been stolen out of our carport. They also kicked in the locked door to my shop and stole a couple of thousand dollars worth of tools. The local Sheriff's department came right out and took pictures, took notes, and completed their report.

Unfortunately, among everything else on their plate the theft of an insured motor vehicle would seldom rise to a priority for most law enforcement agencies. About once a year I get a telephone call from the State asking if the vehicle had ever been recovered so they would know whether to keep it on, or remove it from their data base of stolen vehicles.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-02-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Another solenoid to act up? OK...
    I don't even trust a key and never lock the forks
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't even trust a key and never lock the forks
    +1
    Rinty

I tried locking my steering today twice by holding the button down, I heard the click both times I tried, and it did not lock left or right.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I tried locking my steering today twice by holding the button down, I heard the click both times I tried, and it did not lock left or right.
    Push button to turn bike on. Turn handlebar all the way to the left. Push and hold button down until you hear the solenoid move. Let up on button - handlebar is locked.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

The bike was off, I turned handle bar to the left , pushed the start button and held it until I heard the click and no lock. Tried it to the right also. I will try again in the AM. I was in a hurry and just moving the bike around the shop.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Push button to turn bike on. Turn handlebar all the way to the left. Push and hold button down until you hear the solenoid move. Let up on button - handlebar is locked.

Harry
    On my '17 RT you don't "Push button to turn bike on" in order to lock steering. With FOB in hand, all I need do is turn bars to left and push center "electronic activation" button until I hear the solenoid activate. Usually takes a couple seconds. It isn't necessary to push button first, then push it again when bars in position. To unlock it takes very little time when button is pushed to unlock.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    The bike was off, I turned handle bar to the left , pushed the start button and held it until I heard the click and no lock. Tried it to the right also. I will try again in the AM. I was in a hurry and just moving the bike around the shop.
    Guessing you don't mean "starter button". Perhaps the keyless button located mid handlebar. Starter button (rocker) is part of right handlebar assembly. I know you know this...just commenting in case some non knowing individual is reading.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    On my '17 RT you don't "Push button to turn bike on" in order to lock steering.
    No, but to demonstrate that the steering lock works on a keyless wethead bike, you have to turn the bike on first. Normally, the bike is already running as you come to a stop and are in the process of parking it and choose to lock the steering.

Logic demands that the steering can only be locked as you turn the bike off, and not as you turn the bike on since you can't ride with the steering locked. But for skeptics who say you can't lock a keyless bike, you have to start somewhere. By the way, that middle button thing on my key fob does not work on my wethead GS, the steering can only be locked by holding down the "on/off" button, (not the starter button). Maybe you have the alarm option for your RT?

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)