• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stolen 2021 BMW Rallye GSA - South Florida

Guessing you don't mean "starter button". Perhaps the keyless button located mid handlebar. Starter button (rocker) is part of right handlebar assembly. I know you know this...just commenting in case some non knowing individual is reading.

You are correct. I do mean to say the round push button in the middle of handle bar. Too many buttons!

Guessing you don't mean "starter button". Perhaps the keyless button located mid handlebar. Starter button (rocker) is part of right handlebar assembly. I know you know this...just commenting in case some non knowing individual is reading.

Pretty sure wit the late model RT you can push the "power" button to lock the steering. Perhaps the key fob will do it too, but on my 2018 just push and hold the on/off button in the middle of the handle bars for a couple seconds

No, but to demonstrate that the steering lock works on a keyless wethead bike, you have to turn the bike on first. Normally, the bike is already running as you come to a stop and are in the process of parking it and choose to lock the steering.

Logic demands that the steering can only be locked as you turn the bike off, and not as you turn the bike on since you can't ride with the steering locked. But for skeptics who say you can't lock a keyless bike, you have to start somewhere. By the way, that middle button thing on my key fob does not work on my wethead GS, the steering can only be locked by holding down the "on/off" button, (not the starter button). Maybe you have the alarm option for your RT?

Harry

I can walk up to my non running RT, with FOB in pocket and lock my steering by pushing and holding down the activation button at mid handlebar. If pushed and held once again it immediately unlocks. If you just push, and don't hold the mid handlebar button, then the electronics come to life (gauges and such) and you can start the bike. No button on the FOB will actuate the steering lock solenoid.

Last edited:
Pretty sure wit the late model RT you can push the "power" button to lock the steering. Perhaps the key fob will do it too, but on my 2018 just push and hold the on/off button in the middle of the handle bars for a couple seconds

Not sure how late a model has to be however, my '17 RT FOB will not activate the steering solenoid to either lock or unlock. As indicated prior only the mid handlebar button will activate the steering lock solenoid. The "keyless" button is the mid handlebar button for steering lock use if pushed and held. If pushed and not held, it powers up the "other" electronics which then allows bike's engine to start via pushing the ignition rocker switch on right handlebar assembly, on my machine.

Last edited:
I can walk up to my non running RT, with FOB in pocket and lock my steering by pushing and holding down the activation button at mid handlebar.

You are correct; same with my wethead GS.

Before yesterday I hadn't locked the steering in probably three years or more. I knew the system worked, though, so that's why I responded to this thread.

Broken pieces identified?

Has anyone been able to positively identify which bike components may have resulted in the debris found by the OP? That would certainly help narrow down the means by which the perps gained access to the ignition. FWIW I agree that this theft was by someone familiar with the owner and knew his address. They also knew the rather obscure and involved method of stealing a specific bike; they didn't want any bike, they wanted his bike.
If I were the police I'd be looking at employees of installers and dealerships, but I also agree that this type of crime is very low on their priority list.

Last edited:
The best part about Matt's Mexico bike is if you've followed his articles over the years, you would know any of his bikes are likely mechanically perfect.

I agree, his bikes do run fine. But it's the way they look that keeps them from being stolen. The people who stole the GSA didn't know it had "shift cam" or a "wonder wheel", etc. They just knew it looked new and very fancy, hence a great bike to steal and re-sell. Like so much of America, it's all about the looks, not the substance. I was recently in a large local bike sales shop. The salesman told me they no longer let used bike out for a test ride. So you are expected to buy a $5-15,000 bike by 1) looking at it, 2) sitting on it. That's it. And I guess they sell tons of them that way. The bikes are all meticulously detailed, and that's all that they need to move them. I assume that determined thieves can now steal just about anything. If you live in an apartment, perhaps riding a machine that thieves don't want is a good idea, rather than keep replacing the "beautiful bike". I think the sub-par looking 1100 fit that bill.

Back