Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ship stuck in the Suez Canal

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    The whole loading and unloading process has always fascinated me. There are some great videos, from the crane operators perspective- way up there, as well as this video.
    Nice overview-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

All reports I've seen say they were blown off course; the effects of a crosswind on a large ship are impressive. Been there, done that driving ships. Ships like a carrier or one of these huge container ships present a huge sail area; think of what a crosswind wind does to an 18-wheeler on the highway, and multiply that force exponentially. And slowing down might seem like a good idea, except that the slower you go, the less effective the rudder becomes, until you eventually lose steerageway. In a tight channel like that if you need the help and don't have tugs made up (or close by), bad things can happen really fast.
    Dave K.
    1971 R75/5, 2016 R1200R

Or- carrying a sheet of plywood across the lawn in the wind.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Well, I think they are now on to Plan D. Their big hope was that "high tide" would allow them to unstick the ship. High tide was 4:00 or so p.m. Eastern Daylight Time Saturday. I have not read that they got it loose. So whatever Plan D is, it looks like Plan C didn't work.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Actually the highest tide in the series will be this coming Tuesday night just about midnight. See the chart here: https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...t/tides/latest
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Actually the highest tide in the series will be this coming Tuesday night just about midnight. See the chart here: https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...t/tides/latest
    That and a well planned underwater ordinance discharge nearby the bow, may just bring success.

A canal widening project first step!
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Has ship's Captain been called to HQ and relieved of his command yet? Perhaps they need to temporary block upstream, along with pumps, to raise water level? When hurricane Camille went through Biloxi in '69, many a barge was floated off US 90 with sandbags and water pumps. Drop some caissons in and get to pumping.
    Last edited by Motodan; 03-28-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

The canal seems to be more like an estuary with tidal fluctuations south of The Bitter Lakes. North of those it seems have a northerly flow.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Has ship's Captain been called to HQ and relieved of his command yet?
    It is my understanding that the ship was being "piloted" by a canal pilot, (two such pilots were on board) much like is done in some ports. Exactly what that means escapes me however. The owners of the ship are apologizing and what that means escapes me too.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-28-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

What actually happened.....

Suez.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It is my understanding that the ship was being "piloted" by a canal pilot, much like is done in some ports. Exactly what that means escapes me however. The owners of the ship are apologizing and what that means escapes me too.
    As you would be more familiar with the area you live in than a visitor from Italy, maritime regulations require a "Pilot" or "Guide" that can help the ships captain through the area. The ships call for a "Pilot" while on approach and is brought out to meet and board the vessel. More that common-mandatory.

While captains are in-charge of ships, the role of a maritime pilot is equally important. The duties of maritime pilots are quite different from that of the ship’s captain. As the name suggests, Marine pilots help in maneuvering ships while arriving or departing a port.

https://www.marineinsight.com/career...nd-his-duties/

This is one of the best examples of one of the pilots doing their job.

I would guess they are apologizing because it is the right thing to do when there is an accident.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I understand they almost have it moved out of the way. They called in the big gun.....

(Stolen from the FJRiders Forum)
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

From the world I lived in: (Navy Regulations): "A pilot is merely an advisor to the commanding officer. The presence of a pilot onboard shall not relieve the commanding officer or a subordinate from his or her responsibility for the proper performance of the duties with which he or she may be charged concerning the navigation and handling of the ship." Pilots are (usually) hugely valuable sources of local knowledge, but at least in my world "the pilot said to turn early" is no excuse. I'd imagine the commercial world is legally similar. There is, however, a bit of an exception for the Panama Canal, and entering and leaving drydock.
    Dave K.
    1971 R75/5, 2016 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I understand they almost have it moved out of the way. They called in the big gun.....

(Stolen from the FJRiders Forum)
    That is hilarious!
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Smile

Wrong bike...The Ural Sahara Edition 2WD may have a chance, using the rear anchor chain from opposite side of canal.

Along with the really big ordinance explosion near the bow, with the high tide.

Add the vertical support effort of about 4 high lift capacity Sky Cranes working in unison and full reverse thrust on the Everstuck.

Tell the Ural rider to be ready to "release" and scurry... big shadow & tidal wave coming soon after detonation.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)